Core heavy starter army (now an army list)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Fiffyfu
Slave on the Altar

Core heavy starter army (now an army list)

Post by Fiffyfu »

Hi, thanks for the help and comments on my early ideas, ive not got any models yet but i thought id get an idea of an army to work towards, for those who didnt read my other post this is a core heavy starter list so that i can learn how im going to use the Druchii so that i can build on my strengths and fix my weaknesses

Heroes
Master w/ heavy armour, shield, great weapon and either dispel scroll or the ring of hotek - 115pts

Core
20 Warriors w/ shields and full command - 155pts

10 Rxbmen - 100pts

10 Rxbmen - 100pts

20 Corsairs w/ full command - 225pts

Special
5 Cold one knights w/ dread knight - 151pts

Total = 1,001pts

Im not sure whether to use a scroll or the ring of hotex on the master, i may try them both out a few times and see how it goes, other than that how do you think this list will fare as a beginer army

Thanks and happy gaming, Fif
Living life inside a bubble
Thomus darkblade
Shade

Post by Thomus darkblade »

Scroll vs Ring? Decision's easy! Ring of Hotek! Only wizards are allowed to take arcane items anyways.

I would recommend that you convert up a BSB for this army. Also It wouldn't hurt to buy shields for your crossbows. They greatly increase the utility of the unit. I would take out some corsairs and maybe the dreadknight to finance this.

Master, SDC, Heavy armor, Halberd, ring of hotek - 117
( You can't use the shield and the great weapon at the same time, so SDC is a better choice. Halberd trades a point of strength for all that elven initiative!)
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

Master w/ heavy armour, shield, great weapon and either dispel scroll or the ring of hotek - 115pts

Arcane Items, such as a dispell scroll, can only be taken by characters described as mages.

The ring of hotek is certainly usefull though.

10 Rxbmen - 100pts

10 Rxbmen - 100pts

It is generally a good idea to buy shields for your crossbowmen, it gives them so much more utility.

It makes them very hard to take out with flyers/fast cavalry, gives them a little more defence against magic and shooting, as well as giving you the option of using them as suport units for your spearmen.

other than that how do you think this list will fare as a beginer army

I would personally recomend you to include one unit of dark riders, and possibly a unit of shades or harpies as well (and maby remove a fully ranked unit).

The reason for this is that your army does not have any 'harass' element.

Harassment troups in general are not meant for enaging enmy units head on, but to generally slow them down, and to take out support elements (enemy light cav, warmachines, shooters etc).

I do understand that you want a relativly straightforward army to play, I would however still advice you to include on or two such units, so that you can start to develop a feal for how to use them efficiently.

My personal advice for what to get (i.e. buy) initally would be five dark riders, and models for one unit of crossbowmen and one unit of spearmen, these are units that I myself always find usefull.

However, I would also advice you to simply take units that you really like (model or fluff whise), since in the current editon of our book, all units can be configured to work in a competitve enviornemnt (though not all units etc, a list still needs to have certain aims etc).

Also, remember that all advice is more or less subjectvie; never feel forced to drop something you like just becasue I or anyone else advice you to, simply ask us how to best incorporate it instead. ;)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Demandred 1.0
Slave on the Altar

Post by Demandred 1.0 »

If nothing else, you can drop 2 corsairs from the unit to make it 6x3. Use the 20 points then to get shields on your Crossbowmen.
“Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist invents the parachute.”
-G.B. Stern
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Did you include the sea serpent standard on the corsairs to have them put in a frenzied state?
If not, that would really butt this army - resistant to shooting and punshing really hard - I also would recommend a 18 models formation, 6x3. This brings out 19 attacks, and 22 if you do the 21 models formation of 7x3.
The fourth rank has very little use, at least that is my experience. To have the extra attacks before another rank, of models that can't attack
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Fiffyfu
Slave on the Altar

Post by Fiffyfu »

The one thing i always forget is that only mages/wizards can use dispell scrolls, ive been playin wfb for years and i always forget this, sorry my bad lol

i like the idea of getting some dark riders but the plan is to get the battalion and 2 boexes of troops, then im gonna convert some dr's using the glade riders
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

i like the idea of getting some dark riders but the plan is to get the battalion and 2 boexes of troops, then im gonna convert some dr's using the glade riders

The battlion leves you with a need for 32 more warrior models (the models for crossbowmen and spearmen are the same when bough separate), if you drop one unit of 20 warriors from your list, you only need one box of warriors, you can then get a box of glade riders, and convert them with leftover bits from the other sprues.

That would give you:

Heroes

Core

5 Dark Riders, Crossbows, musician. - 117pts

10 Rxbmen, shields - 110pts

Special

Total = 983

Which gives you spare points, for a SDC or so on your noble.

I am however not shure if the crossbowmen in the battalion pack have shields or not.

And you do still need to get a model for your noble (or you could convert one from the spare warriors I supose, with bits from the corsair and knight sprues ;)

You also have a few leftover horses from the GR sprue, so you could mount your noble as well, you would probably need to cut your corsairs down to 18 for that though (it is however in general a better size for the unit), you could then use leftover warrior and corsair parts in order to make a mounted noble, I have no idea how it would turn out though, and I don't know how corsair parts fits with warrior parts scale whise, don't have any corsairs ;).
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Fiffyfu
Slave on the Altar

Post by Fiffyfu »

i never thought of doing it this way and i like the look of it, ive had a tinker (with the list that is) and heres what ive come up with, i used Waerik's list as a guide and came up with the exact same thing but then i guess theres only so much variation when your using the batallion as a base

Heroes
Master w/ light armour, shield, great weapon, cold one and the ring of hotek - 133pts

Core
20 Warriors w/ shields and fc - 155pts

5 Dark Riders w/ crossbows and musician - 117pts

Special

Total = 1,001pts

And you do still need to get a model for your noble (or you could convert one from the spare warriors I supose, with bits from the corsair and knight sprues

yes, i plan to get one of the dreadlord models to use as my master, by getting the battalion and warrior boxes i ment purely for the general troops of this army, but thanks, its a good idea, i shall sift through my bits box and i may be able to make something, even if it only gives some character to my minions lol

Thanks, Fif
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

Mounted great weapon is very ill advised. You always strike last, and it has the same strength as a Halberd, which allows you to strike at initiative. Definitely switch him to a halberd.

If he's going with the Cold Ones though, I'd give him a lance.

If he's not going with the Cold Ones, keep him on foot and give him the Armour of Darkness for a 1+ Armour Save.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Connz
Warrior

Post by Connz »

Great weapons arent great on mounted blokes as you only get +1S and still strike last.Drop a few off the corsairs and give him blade of might, heavy armour and SDC. Gives him S5 and 1+AS.A lance is another good choice though. Give the dread knight something as well. A null talisman is a popular choice.