Pirates Riding Dinosaurs - a 1000 point Corsair list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mostly ghostly
Trainee Warrior

Pirates Riding Dinosaurs - a 1000 point Corsair list

Post by Mostly ghostly »

[size=2]This is my first time posting on these forums, as I think I may be returning to Warhammer after a long hiatus. I've been wanting to game again for a while, but was torn between Wathammer and Warmachine. I love the idea of giant robots crashing into one another, as well as the small, skirmish feel, and GWs business practices annoy the hell out of me, but the lack of customization and the excellent new Lokhir Fellheart and Corsair models for the Dark Elves swung me. So it was that I devoted my heart to the Kraken and set out to write a Corsair list that would bring terror and death to the weakling races of the world. I even wrote background fluff for it, which is [url="http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/dark-elves/150503-tempest-shakespeare-meets-druchii.html"]available[/url] on the Librarium Dark Elf Forum (see if you can catch all the cheesy Shakespeare references!).

So, without further ado, here's the list:

--------------

Caliban Karakh Mavael, Thrall of the Kraken and Captain of The Tempest - Master, Cold One, Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Additional hand Weapon, Deathmask - 160

Mirai Prospera Sycorax, Witch of the Serpent Sea - Sorceress, Level 2, Sacrificial Dagger - 160

17 Corsairs (with Caliban), Full Command, Sea Serpent Standard - 220

13 Corsairs (with Prospera), Handbows, Musician, Reaver with Pair of Handbows - 148

6 Cold One Knights, Standard Bearer with Standard of Slaughter - 213

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100

Total: 1001
--------------

I think this is a pretty balanced list (I've been hammering at it for a day or so at least), but I still have a few questions. First, should I replace the Sacrificial Dagger with a Focus Familiar? The dagger ensures lots and lots of power points, but it comes at the cost of depleting her already small bodyguard, and the familiar fits the fluff better and extends her spell range. I could also drop the second unit of corsairs and put Prospera with a unit of Dark Riders. Also, I'm exactly one point over, as you can see - any ideas on how to shave off that last point?

Finally, some conversion advice. I'm intending to mount the Lokhir Fellheart model on a Carnosaur, thus combining my two favorite models in the whole world. The only way I can think of to pull this off, however, would be to buy one of the old, metal cold one knights or find one of the plastic sprues on ebay and chop off its legs, then chop off Lokhir's torso, graft the two together, and stick it on the Carnosaur. The question is - will the legs fit around the beastie's (rather large) hide? Also - could I actually chop off Lokhir's legs with carful application of a hobby saw, or would the way it's cast prevent that? Also, if the consensus is that I should take the familiar over the dagger, could someone help me think of a neat model or conversion to represent it? My mind seems strangely blank on that front.

Thanks!
Last edited by Mostly ghostly on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

If there is no fluff reason behind your sorceress riding a cold one, I would drop it. If she fails a stupidity test, she can't cast. If you want her mounted, put her on a dark steed or pegasus.

Also, if you are going to give a character armor, armor them all the way. I would give your noble heavy armor.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Mostly ghostly
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mostly ghostly »

I'm considering dropping the cold one, putting her in the smaller unit of Corsairs, and arming them with dual handbows. I wouldn't want her to get into combat, so the unit would become a harrier - dancing around other units, firing off spells and raining down a ridiculous number of bolts, and occasionally flanking or rear charging if absolutely necessary. Would this work?

EDIT - Just realized you can't arm all the Corsairs with dual handbows, just the reaver. Damn.

EDIT - Dropped the cold one, rearranged the corsairs and gave one unit handbows.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

druchii77 wrote: Also, if you are going to give a character armor, armor them all the way. I would give your noble heavy armor.

Agree, so little point difference and so much game advantage. Go all the way. (:
-JK.
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

Thats a really nice list as far as fluff goes, but one thing ive learnt on here is that you need more besides corsairs to win a game (unfortunately)

May i suggest The brotherhood of the coast in the Druchii discussion thread? Were all big Corsair fans over there, and theres loads of helpful things on there (andd lovely people) so ill see you there!
Let this colony know in the name of the dead we're coming
Darkstarr
Shade

Post by Darkstarr »

Well one level 2 sorceress may not cut it against some armies, I would probly not bring her at all, and just go with roh and some null talizmans you will get more magic resistance out of that and you will have master that is good in hand to hand, also I think its good to have some form of heavy hitter like the rbx or a hydra, or bring a cob to give your corsairs killing blow. Good luck.