1500 points of Stupidity.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Aralion
Trainee Warrior

1500 points of Stupidity.

Post by Aralion »

Hello all.

So, at last, I have finally decided to begin play the Dark Elves after about 5 years of "vacation" from the Warhammer hobby and, reading through the new book and seen the new models and some goregeous conversions just put a smile on my face.
I will start of with an 1500.p army and from there expand it to 2500.p and beyond.
This is what I have come up with, though my skills are a bit rusty and I'm not so shure what the 7'ed have changed from the 6'th.
Anyway heres the list.

Version 1.0 (Changes to the list is further down)

Master General: Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold one Chariot 208.p

Master: Armour of Darkness, Halberd, Cold one Chariot 199.p

Sorceress: Lvl1, 2x Dispell Scrolls 150.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, Musician 117.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows 110.p

5x Harpies 55.p

5x Harpies 55.p

6x Cold One Knights: Full Command, Ring of Hotek 227.p

6x Cold One Knights: Full Command 202.p

War Hydra 175.p

1498.p

Deployment: Due to my high speed, I can hide the most important parts of my army behind scenery without worrying that I will get stuck a round or two, the main priority will be my chariots so they dont get cannonballed in round 1.
The Dark Riders and Harpies will be placed somewhere where they can harass and kill warmachine crew without worrying of being shoot to pieces.
The CoK and Hydra can probably take some damage so these units is what I'm worrying about the least, but if I can find a nice forest to deploy behind, that isn't occupied by a chariot, that would be the ideal spot.
The Sorceress will just stay somewhere where the opponent will just forget about her.

Tactic: this army is lightning fast and hits like a ton of bricks, but what it has in hitting power it lacks in staying power. With that in mind I wont single charge anything big and nasty with nothing exept the Hydra, everything else will support/flank charge the enemy, and thanks to the characters riding the chariots, they will now remove rank bonuses. So a Chariot in the flank and some Knights in the front will hopefully be enough to break any unit.
Enemy warmachines and black power weapons will be the biggest threat against this list, so to counter I will use the superiour movement of the Dark riders and Harpies to chase them down. The obvious cannon and chariot syndrome is what I will be most worried about, but if I'm facing a cannon, I hope that the sight of a five headed monster will be a big shooting magnet.
I think my magic defence is decent for a 1500.p game, a scroll caddy and the ring on a fast weilder will hopefully prevent any heavy damage to the army.
The biggest weakness of the army is just how stupid it is, with 4 of my 5 fighting units being subjected to stupidity which just can spoil a great opportunity, so its a bit random on that part (just like the magic face :P), but due to Ld9, I hope I can pass most of them.

Strengths: Hitting power, Speed, Fear and Terror causing units, decent magic defence.

Weaknesses: Low body count, stupidity, Cannons.

I really think this will look like a cool army on the tabletop, efter some conversions and I'm looking forward to pick up the Hobby again.

So what do you think of the list?
Last edited by Aralion on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

You will notice the slow speed of the chariots, as they can't march.

I would also drop the standards on the CoK for a 7th or 8th model in both to give you abetter chance of breaking an opponent with fear. Basically they ain't going to live so there is no point giving your oppoent 100 VP for nothing.

10% of your army does nothing, so maybe drop the caddy for another master on a Dark Steed to mage and warmachine hunt.

Ring of Hotek is very good, add the seal of ghrond for a 3rd DD and you should be fine as long as your opponent's mages die fast.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

If you want to keep speed, I agree with Rabinid that the chariots will have to go. With this list, they will be left behind. Putting both masters on cold ones and into a knight unit would make both units a threat and keep up your speed. You could also consider dropping a master and giving the remaining one a manticore, or you could go with a dark pegasus master for variety. Both are very fast.

Also, as Rabinid said, you need to mount your sorceress as she had no unit to hide in. Put her with some of the Dark Riders at least. If you drop both chariots and give the masters cold ones, you should be able to give her a dark steed as well.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Aralion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aralion »

Thanks for the tips. I have now made some changes to the list according to your advices.
This is what I came up with.

Version 1.1

Master General: Pendant of Khaeleth, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Manticore 342.p

Master BsB: Shield, Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Hydra Banner 214.p

5x Harpies 55.p

5x Harpies 55.p

5x Harpies 55.p

5x Cold One Knights: Dread Knight, Musician, Ring of Hotek 184.p

6x Cold One Knights: Dread Knight, Musician 186.p

War Hydra 175.p

1500.p

The Chariots and the Sorceress are now gone. I added a Manticore for my general and kitted him for defence and made a BsB out of the other with the hydra Banner to make the unit she leads one of the hardest hitting cavalry in the warhammer world. This will give me 3 strong and fast hammer units that will eat everything the enemy can throw at them, though I think the BsB led Cold Ones will be of least priority for the enemy shooting so I assume that I can spend points in a BsB.
Basicly the idea will be the same as before, but now I have a Manticore, more Harpies and alot less in magical defence, so now I will try to hunt down enemy mages even faster than before.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Now this is a good looking list! Two terror causers, tons of speed, and lots of punch. At 1500pt., magic won't play too huge a part in most cases, but the one thing it will attempt to kill is your manticore. Be careful with your movement. Also, remember that a large target can screen a large target. You can use your hydra to screen your manticore as it is far more survivable. This is a useful tactic in low terrain environments.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Aralion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aralion »

druchii77 wrote:Now this is a good looking list! Two terror causers, tons of speed, and lots of punch. At 1500pt., magic won't play too huge a part in most cases, but the one thing it will attempt to kill is your manticore. Be careful with your movement. Also, remember that a large target can screen a large target. You can use your hydra to screen your manticore as it is far more survivable. This is a useful tactic in low terrain environments.

Thanks. I really feel comfortable now with the models I have orderd that I can make a decent list with them.