1500 cavalry (fast list) vs beasts of chaos

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Necrah
Slave (off the Altar)

1500 cavalry (fast list) vs beasts of chaos

Post by Necrah »

Most of the help I need with this list is figuring out which units will be effective against beasts. I've tried a couple of lists against my opponent and found infantry to be the least effective (maybe it was just bad rolls/strat). I included things that fly, stomp and skirmish as well as cavalry.

Master
-Cold One
-3+ save
-Pendant of Khaeleth
-Sword of Might

Sorceress
-Dark Peggy
-Level 2
-Focus Familiar
-Darkstar Cloak or Dispell Scroll

Dark Riders (5)
-Musician

Dark Riders (5)
-Musician

Harpies (5)

Harpies (5)

Assassin
-ADHW
-Ruin of Khaine
-Manbane

Cold One Chariot

Cold One Knights (5)
-F.C.
-Ring of Hotek
-War Banner

Shades (8 )
-Great Weapons
-Bloodshade

War Hydra

The general theme is to rely on the COK's and the Hydra to do the heavy hitting while the other units either flank or bait. The master (in the knights) is difficult to kill with the 1+ save and the rediculous ward save can handle most challenges. The biggest problem I have is a unit of his which has regeneration and the 5+ ward save. I figured using the fire lore would help that (but any other suggestions would be nice). I wasn't sure whether a dispell scroll would be worth also. The only unit I'm not really sure of is the shades (assassin goes with them). I'm also wondering if the magic items could be better when going against beasts. Thank you for any suggestions in advance :D
"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
-Lord Vraneth the Cruel
Rendingstar
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rendingstar »

Well, it all looks good to me. I havent played many games with the darkies yet though.

From what ive found is that those shades are awesome, particularly against low T, low AS opponents. There effectiveness is also increased if you can bunker em up in forest or building.

the need for a dispel scroll will probably pop up if magic missiles are flying around but then ive found the best way to stop enemy magic is to kill the guy in the pointy hat!
Wargamers Do It With Models
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Ummm, are you sure your versing Beasts? I'm pretty sure Beasts can't have a unit with a 5+ ward and Regen. Anyway on to the list, you have quite a lot of fear causers which is fantastic against them. The Hydra will be your best unit, as it will just rip herds to shreds plus it causes terror so a few squads around them will probably run away as well. Thing you have to watch out for is their magic and their monsters like the Shaggoth, Minotaurs, Dragon Ogres etc.

Be extremely careful if they take slaanesh magic and roll enrapturing spasms as it is in my mind at least the best spell in the game with only a few spells matching its usefullness/destructiveness. ALWAYS make sure you have dispel dice or a scroll for this spell as it will make your best unit a sitting duck to even a simple beast herd and in particular the monsters. I'd consider giving the Knights the Standard of Hag Graef as you could fail a stupidity test and get charged, so causing some damage before that unit dying is preferable to just losing your knights and not doing anything.

Your list looks fine for taking beasts head on. Good luck and lets us know how your next battle goes.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6