1k Optimal

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rendingstar
Slave on the Altar

1k Optimal

Post by Rendingstar »

Im New To D.net and want some advice on using my new DE army. I'll mostly be playing Dwarfs soon as that what my usual opponent is using atm. Ive played a few practice games against HE, OK, OnG and Chaos Daemons. Not Dwarfs. I fear I will be shot to pieces with my wimpy toughness and that my menouverability will be useless when they castle up: How can you outmenouvre something that doesnt menouvre at all?

Anyhow, heres the list.

Level 2 Sorceress: Dark Pegasus, Lifetaker

Assassin: Rending Stars, Cloak of Twilight, AHW

5 Dark Riders
5 Dark Riders
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

9 Shades: Great Weapons, Bloodshade (Assassin goes in here)

War Hydra

Any Ideas on how to be more optimal, Given as Im new I dont Know how to break the list as best as can, not that thats what i want to do, Id just like to know how.
Wargamers Do It With Models
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

Taking a sorceress against dwarves at 1000 points is a bad idea. Their magic defense, even without any runesmiths, will be nearly unstoppable. Make her into a hunter noble on pegasus, and I would recommend the Ring of Darkness to dissuade any thunderers from trying to blow him out of the sky.

Most of the early firepower of his will likely be used to knock down the Hydra, which is good--your own troops can advance under its cover. I imagine it might die, but two or three turns is all your riders/harpies probably need to engage or destroy his warmachines and start flanking his blocks.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Griefbringer is right -- magic is a waste against the Dwarfs, so dump the Sorceress. I think a master on a Dark Pegasus would be a better take here since to hunt war machines. Since he's not a large target, use hapries to screen him from bolt throwers and regular missile troops.

Similarly, cloak of twilight is a waste on the assassin -- you'll never get the spell off.

Speed and hitting power are key against the dwarfs, so the hydra is good. I think you need another unit with hitting power as well -- Executioners or Cold-One Knights. I would consider dumping the Assassin in favor of some.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rendingstar
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rendingstar »

Yeah, the sorceress is more of a tool for general games, she is great most of the time but I think she will have to get her fighting boots on agianst Dwarfs, exchange her staff for a lance.

The Assassin gets a lot of stick it seems, what is best ot do with the 146 points?

Im expecting the Hydra to act as a missile magnet like suggested by Griefbringer. Its probably best as shooting that leaves everyting else free to reign.

What do you guys think of the big shade unit: its proved itself excellent against everyting so far but can they outshoot dwarfs or do they need to be walking?
Wargamers Do It With Models
Time of madness
Corsair

Post by Time of madness »

The problem you are going to run into is the dwarves shooting at your dark riders and lightly armoured units. Which will leave your shades/hydra to do the actual fighting.

I think you'd be better off with a more "standard" approach relying on a couple of blocks of infantry and flank support (hydra/shades).
Time of Madness
"If it hurts too much, make it hurt someone else instead."
-Robert Jordan