Beanz's 1st attempt at a list for UK student Nationals: 2k

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Beanz's 1st attempt at a list for UK student Nationals: 2k

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Hiya guys and girls, am back again for yet more druchii advice on the only tournament I've ever attended: the student nationals.

I've had a read through the other threads on here - notably regarding the dragon-sorceress lists and the uber shade deathstar. I have to admit that my tournament expertise is somewhat lacking (I've only attended the nationals once and that was 2 years ago - everyone loved playing me as I'd brought druchii to the event and finished in the lowest quartile!), if you could add any comments or thoughts thatd be great as Id like to have this thread as a flowing exchange of ideas with batreps to note back on progress.

So essentially theres several things I like about the new druchii:
- I like their magic capability and the use of PoD
- their new item list is very snazzy and full of very good (some perhaps too good) but also enjoyable items.
- I dont think theres 1 unit, character or combo in the book that doesnt appeal to me: khainite, monsters, combat, shooty - I love it all!

Thus I was somewhat spoilt for choice on where to begin!

I do own a relatively large druchii force that Ive cultivated over the years (in the region of 6/7/8k nowadays - particularly if SCs are being used 8))

Anyway, the student nationals limitations are relatively simple: standard 2k and no SCs are to be used - specific scenarios will be given to us at the event to help neutre overly cheesy lists that arent able to adapt so well to unusual objectives.

THE LIST:

I've taken pages from the books of the most active druchii GT crew here: notably DA, Grandmaster EJ, Dalamar and Marauder Mitch. I've begun with a dragon-sorceress list.

v1.01
Supreme Sorceress: 640
F Familiar, Pendent of K.
Level 4
Black Dragon.

Sorceress: 185
Sacraficial Dagger, Dispel Scroll.
Level 2 Wizard.

10 Crossbowmen: 100

10 Crossbowmen: 100

5 Harpies: 55

5 Harpies: 55

30 Warriors: 225
Full Command + Shields

* 7 Shades: 119
2 HWs

* Assassin: 171
Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death, Cloak of Twilight
2 HWs

War Hydra: 175

War Hydra: 175

Total = 2000pts

I've also played my 1st game with it today against the HEs, whom I massacred: I put this down to his poor army composition and him being a rather rusty player!

Batrep can be found HERE

- Beanz
Last edited by Dangerous Beans on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

A dragon and two hydras -- very nasty list!

I have only one very minor comments -- great weapons are MUCH better than additional HW on shades. I would reduce the unit to 6 models to get the points for the GW upgrade.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

haha thanks Dyvim - certainly had the Asur player stumped! He didnt know which to target first and of those I barely gave him any options as his bolt throwers were threatened left right and centre by my harpies! Have a read of the batrep: its not the best written but conveys an idea of how it went =D

agreed about the shades - I wasnt sure what to lose to add em: I kept the extra shade for more shooty power, but in hindsight this list has enough shootiness - a little extra hitting power wouldnt harm...

I'm also wondering about the crossbowmen/dark rider switch - cant decide myself: I tend to find my DR using skills are not the best - they die too easily in my hands or try to sneakily hide-sniping at units and have little impact on the game: crossbowmen on the other hand are simpler to use, more numerous but tend not have much of an impact on a game. Perhaps Im using them badly too: I play sit back defensive style with them.

I read somewhere that 2 units of 10 warriors with shields can be useful, and with the points saved I could alter the other components a little...

but certainly the triple monster theme is pretty sick! Perhaps if I used warriors then I could add lifetaker to the sorceress, add a bloodshade and a musician to one of the warrior units?

- Beanz
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I like using Dark Riders a lot -- but I think that with 2 units of harpies, the Dragon, and the hydras, and the flying assassin, you can probably get by without them. I think that the crossbows may be a better bet if you aren't good at using fast cavlary to its full effect.

Personally, I think units of 10 warriors are utter crap and the only reason to use them is to fill up your core slots cheaply. Ithink that other that the issue of the weapons on the shades, you have a solid list and should stick with it.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

oklies Dyvim - thanks for your help: I in fact intend to try several different 'styles' of lists: the dragon-sorceress being the first - once I've honed each on down I'll then move onto the next - I'll post the others once I've pondered and written them down.

Do you think lifetaker is worth shifting the list about to squeeze it in?

- Beanz
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

If you were attending the UK GT id say its essential but i presume this student tournament is pitched battle? so its down to personal preference, again, mine is that its worth taking.

Where and when is this student tournament? id be legal to enter that :P
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

check it out here EJ: HERE

They have already reached the deadline for entries so try and PM a fella called Big Bad Jon - he's running the whole scheme.

It will mostly comprise of 2k pitched battles although there will be scenarios given to us on the days: no idea what until then sadly! What you may need to do EJ - assuming youve not already, is to join you Uni Wargames/RPG club and then sign up through them as you need to have evidence that you attend a uni gaming club - I think anyway... the real fella to speak to is Big Bad Jon though...

Onto topic, I assume youre reffering to lifetaker EJ? As opposed to the DRs? Why is lifetaker essential to the GT? Is it the snipe lone characters ability that makes it so useful?

I like the item but have never seen it as a neccesity before...

edit: the other consideration I had was the black dragon egg - not exactly used often, I figured a turn of dual (or more if the hydras are nearby) breath attacks would seal many infantry unit's fate?

- Beanz
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Dangerous Beans wrote:edit: the other consideration I had was the black dragon egg - not exactly used often, I figured a turn of dual (or more if the hydras are nearby) breath attacks would seal many infantry unit's fate?

I think the Black Dragon Egg has some utility -- but that it is more useful when you don't already have a breath weapon at your disposal, such as if the High Sorceress were on a Dark Pegasus.

More important, the list is already pretty lean. Is there anything you see that you would drop in favor of the Black Dragon Egg? The only thig you might consider is decreasing the size of the spear unit. Since they appear to have the dual role of providing both static combat resolution and fuel for sacrifice, I don't think I would drop them below 25.
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

The lifetaker is essential kit in the UKGT because its brilliant on a mobile character for hunting small fast scoring units like empire detachments, harpies, furies and the like. Gets them under unit strength 5 in an efficient manner and then you move on to the next target. Id say the lifetaker alone was what won me my 6th game against an empire detachment spam army in a table quaters game.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I agree with Dyvim on the shades, but I also think the 30 strong unit of warriors is too much. At most your sorceress might sacrifice 3 a turn, but more than likely you won't sacrifice but one. I would honestly drop them to 20-25 and play them like a battery/bodyguard for her.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com