Army list for scrutiny (2k)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jalknock
Slave on the Altar

Army list for scrutiny (2k)

Post by Jalknock »

After years of having a measily 2 units hanging around my room and borrowing a mates' ogre army for games and tournies, I thought I'd get my dark elf army finished beyond those two lonely little units. So here it is, Dark elf army mark 1!

Dreadlord w/ h.armour, shield, SDC, CO, Whip of Agony, Ring of Hotek, Pendant of Khaeleth - 270
Master (BSB) w/ Hydra Banner, CO, SDC, shield and h.armour - 210

5 Dark Riders w/ XBows, shields and a musician - 122
5 Dark Riders w/ XBows, shields and a musician - 122
10 Xbowmen w/ shields - 110
10 Xbowmen w/ shields - 110
5 harpies - 55
Assassin w/ hand weapon, manbane and rune of khaine - 146

5 Cold One knights w/ standard and banner of murder - 176
5 Cold One knights w/ standard - 151
5 Cold One knights w/ standard - 151

2 Reaper BT - 200
Hydra - 175
Last edited by Jalknock on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

This list is small, yet it packs quite a punch if you can get it there. 1 unit of Cold One Knights are considered to be unreliable, 3? Things will definetly go wrong, personally I would drop at least one unit and get some Black Guard into this for the much needed realiablity, combat res, and anchor for those Cold ones to smash into.
Mercy is for the weak
Jalknock
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jalknock »

I have found that the hydra generally scares most opponents into forgetting how hard the cold ones hit, especially when the lord, bsb and a unit are with the hydra and banner of murder are concerned! The main things I'm not sure about are the assassin and harpies though.
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

I love harpies, but the issue with the CoKs is not the attention they will recieve, but stupidity and the likliness it might cost you the game
Mercy is for the weak
Jalknock
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jalknock »

Could be true, I was hopng the Lord + bsb would see off morale issues while also having the ring would make magic users think twice about doing anything. I love the idea of the harpies, originally wanted 2 units of 5 harpies as flankers for killing war machines and marhc blocking but tbh the COK are my favourite addition to the amry both as rock solid units and the models which are fantastic!
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

Correct me if I am wrong but BSB only allows re rolls for break tests, so it wouldnt effect stupidity and usually even with a ld of 10 a unit will fail at least one test, admitadly the payoff to this risk is a big one.

Ive had another idea actually, if you really want to hammer the opponent with CoKs you could drop the Harpies and Assassin (which you said you weren't sure of) and add a CoB and bless the knights with the extra attack.

It is up to you if you want to run the risk of stupidity or not
Mercy is for the weak
Jalknock
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jalknock »

I meant that the bsb helps for general morale issues, but the Ld 10 should pretty much overcome stupidity, although I can appreciate that it is quite risky. A CoB is an interesting idea, think I'll try out both lists, the extra attack would be very nice to have
Coeur de lion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Coeur de lion »

Just a thought, for a nice 15pts the Banner of Cold-Blood could go on one of the 2 CoK units that have no magical standard to help mitigate the effects of stupidity a bit further.

Not sure exactly where you could pinch the points from, but I would start by taking the shields off the Riders. Personally I prefer them to be able to use their Fast Cav rule, but you may have a different plan for them!

It would mean that you don't need the general's unit to baby-sit both other CoKs to give Ld10.

Good luck with it, and Hydras are awesome!
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Army list for scrutiny (2k)

Post by Silverheimdall »

Jalknock wrote:Dreadlord w/ h.armour, shield, SDC, CO, Whip of Agony, Ring of Hotek, Pendant of Khaeleth - 270

Illegal. 2 Talismans - Ring of Hotek & Pendant of Kaeleth.
Mictian
Shade

Post by Mictian »

I'm quite curious as to where you are going to put that assassin?
All you can do is either join a group of 10 archers, or let him walk alone
both dont seem like a great idea to me.

And ye, 3 groups of cold ones is alot
Even with LD 10, you will still need to take 3 tests per turn.
I can guarantee you that bad things are going to happen
Even if just 1 is affected by stupidity, will the others keep running? or wait?
Both can be troublesome.