Cauldron + Speed

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Post by Columind »

I don't like RBT's Marauder Mitch, for some strange reason I keep missing all the shots with them most of the time. And I recently found out that 10 Rbowmen will do a much better and more flexible job at targeting dragons and big nasties for the same points and being core instead of rare. Just think of it...20 shots, hitting on 4's (if you haven't moved and it's a large target), you get about 10 shots in on average, 7 of which go to the dragon and then just roll 6's on the to wound and you've got yourself at least a possible wound per turn, which is more that what an RBT can often say.

As for the hydras I always have a lot of sucess coupling them with CoK...The only thing that hurts this list is a dragon, because it can outflank me, and that's why I have so much shooting. Between the Xbowmen and the shades+assassins, I should be ok though.

I've spoken to the Portugal captain, he'll be informing me of what is going on and the chain of decisions regarding team Portugal. ;)

PS: I've only lost once with this kind of list, and I had a dragon instead of the Co as a mount for my lord, and played against a massive shooting+magic+stank empire army...
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Columind wrote:
Heartseeker is cool, but more expensive. Do you think it's better than the hydra blade overall?

They both cost the same points.

Heartseeks is better but only with the cauldron giving you kb because every failed wound is another chance at killing blow. The rerolled misses are good too if you are locked in combat for successive turns but this is only really relevant if you are in BG or on a dragon. Most other DE units are meat if they don't win in the first turn.

If you don't have a cauldron or aren't planning on using it to give kb to the lord's unit, I wouldn't bother with heartseeker. In fact, crimson death is probably better than both.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

about the list, and nothing else (haven't read all the replies due to the fact, it has nothing to do with the list ...)

I tried something similar to this in fact.
Instead of the lord on CO, I took a master BSB on CO with hydra banner, and had banner of hag graef on the unit itself. unit of 6 with BSB 7 wide, US 14 with fear, quite solid.
Full mundane and lance.
I had the Hag take the role as BSB.

Did not have a warrior unit
did not have the additional CoKs unit, had two chariots instead.
xbows and mu on dark riders, x3, no harpies. rest pretty much the same
oh yes, only one hydra and 2x bolt throwers.

The list I went with was fun to play, but was not easy to play. Had to stay away with the vulnerable units and stick it in the face with the CoKs
And was hard when faced with T6 or greater opponents, also with high save throw - I didn't win more than 1 out of 3 games :( (HE win, WoC loss, WE loss)
In my opinion after trying it, there are too few fighty units for my taste.
I usually go with 2x20 warriors with KB +D3 attacks and rerolls 1s assassin and a unit of 12-14 crossbowers with shields and mu as core. Sometimes I take DRs, but don't really like them much.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.