1500 points

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

1500 points

Post by Rabidnid »

I have just played my first 1500 point game and came away with a couple conclusions, the most important being that I need a Ld 9 general in the army.

The list was based on my 2250 point army cut down somewhat, but I didn't compensate for the drop from a lvl 4 sorc to as lvl 2 so my army general was Ld 8

This is my new revised list based on my game friday.

Master on foot. AES & null talisman with full mundane (inc RXB)
lvl 2 sorc with DS, Fam & null talisman
lvl 2 sorc with PS, ToF & null talisman

18 spears with full command & warbanner
10 RXB with shields & muso
Edit: 5 harpies

6 witches
5 CoK with muso

Hydra

The master will sit in the spear block and move as necessary to assist the main line. One sorc will sit in an RXB block and the other will probably rove with the familiar.

The witches were wonderful. They deplyed behind an RXB unit and when it looked like they would be needed they turned left and marched 7.5 inches in single file. Next turn they marched another 7.5 inches and turned back to face the enemy. Thier ITP and frenzy made them very helpful when everythign else was failing fear checks and stupidity, and when they finally did break and run, they were only 4 models so nobody cared.
Last edited by Rabidnid on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Guess I would drop one unit of RxB and the CoK in favour of a full nine of GW-Shades and some harpies/more spears.

Stupidity is too much of an issue at low points IMO and GW-shades provide more utility for the points.
With all that shooting, you might also want harpies to crossfire units that break from it.
Besides, both shades and harpies can delay opposition providing more time for your sorcs to do their thing.

I like the idea with the witches. The unit size seems very cost effective.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Gastronauticon wrote:Guess I would drop one unit of RxB and the CoK in favour of a full nine of GW-Shades and some harpies/more spears.

Stupidity is too much of an issue at low points IMO and GW-shades provide more utility for the points.
With all that shooting, you might also want harpies to crossfire units that break from it.
Besides, both shades and harpies can delay opposition providing more time for your sorcs to do their thing.

I like the idea with the witches. The unit size seems very cost effective.

D'oh

There is a unit of 5 harpies, i just forgot to list it. They mostly march block and crossfire.

I like the CoKs purely for their intimidation value. They either stroll down, or waddle stupidly down, one flank and can't be stopped by a few glade guard or the other more usual fast cavalry screens. The centre has proven to be able to look after its self, so the CoKs are a non-critical pure harrasment element that tends to draw a disproportionate response and still kill its point in models.

My best march blocker and wood occupier is the hydra. On friday the hydra went up the left though the terrain, the CoKs waddled stupidly up the left around the terrain, and the Spears, RXB and the assassin I had set up a fire sack in the centre.

I keep considering shades, but everytime I free the points up I get an assasin instead :) I will proxy them in a game or two though, just to see what the fuss is about :)
Valvet
Shade

Post by Valvet »

The list looks nice, a bit of a DE gunline though.

But from taking a closer look, i am wondering, are the null talisman on your sorcs really needed? As they are mounted they don't expand their protection to your units and especially on the sorc with FF it may not be very useful as most of the time, she won't be in LOS to enemies.
Of course there are still those spells that don't require LOS, but in my experience they are not that common and don't justify the investment.
Also the units that are most likely to be targeted, namely COKs and witches, if you don't hide them, don't benefit from the protection.

Also i think that you need something that has a longer range than your RxBs, as opponents with warmachines or WE with their 30" range will simply stay out of your range while you may not have enough units to pressure them.Hearttaker comes to mind here.

These are things i would think about, but maybe you have made different experiences.
Good luck with it anyways.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Valvet wrote:The list looks nice, a bit of a DE gunline though.

But from taking a closer look, i am wondering, are the null talisman on your sorcs really needed? As they are mounted they don't expand their protection to your units and especially on the sorc with FF it may not be very useful as most of the time, she won't be in LOS to enemies.
Of course there are still those spells that don't require LOS, but in my experience they are not that common and don't justify the investment.
Also the units that are most likely to be targeted, namely COKs and witches, if you don't hide them, don't benefit from the protection.

TAlso i think that you need something that has a longer range than your RxBs, as opponents with warmachines or WE with their 30" range will simply stay out of your range while you may not have enough units to pressure them.Hearttaker comes to mind here.

These are things i would think about, but maybe you have made different experiences.
Good luck with it anyways.

The nulls will mostly get dropped when I get a second unit of harpies finished. At the moment though I mostly play DoC and Lizzies, so the opposing magic is rather serious. Most magic is targeted on the sorceresses becaus of the damage they do.

WE aren't an issue for this army so far. I march for a turn, cast chillwind and or word of pain and then just shoot them apart.

With war machines its more cat and mouse. I usually just deploy out of LOS and wait for them to think of a solution :) To date the Hydra has been a spectacular war machine hunter, and the 30" range of the sorc with familiar is very helpfull for hitting distant targets with chill wind and word of pain.

Harpies plus word of pain make for very sad weapon crews.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

That's interesting. I have always problems getting in a combat general in 1500 points when using magic, the points cost tends to get quite high with three characters running around. In any case, the unkillable BSB works best for me then. The problem I find with shooty lists is that the RxB's will have trouble chewing through T4 heavy cav. Until you gave me advice on my recent list, I never considered using knights with anything less than FC and a magic banner, until I saw the points cost that is. Would you consider a regiment of 18 warriors with Warbanner enough, or perhaps be tempted to add a more strong anvil (like say BG)?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Thanatoz wrote:That's interesting. I have always problems getting in a combat general in 1500 points when using magic, the points cost tends to get quite high with three characters running around. In any case, the unkillable BSB works best for me then. The problem I find with shooty lists is that the RxB's will have trouble chewing through T4 heavy cav. Until you gave me advice on my recent list, I never considered using knights with anything less than FC and a magic banner, until I saw the points cost that is. Would you consider a regiment of 18 warriors with Warbanner enough, or perhaps be tempted to add a more strong anvil (like say BG)?

The cheap and nasty theme of the army dosen't really allow BG. Plus they are something of a crutch for many people, so I would prefer to make do with other things. Basically Dark has black horror and soul stealer, which are very capable low toughness high save model killers, and there is alwas metal if theing are looking really bad. The spears with the character to take the brunt of the charge are about the same price as BG, but with the benifit of the army Ld and cheapness figurewise.

That said, its not been tried againsst a full knight army, so I will see what happens when I play a VC or WoC army :)

And I love my RXBs, they have shot up and beaten the snot out of everything they have faced, and if things are looking badly, the MSU theme means that there is always an extra unit around to make a flank charge to relieve the pressue.

The plan is to march block the big things until the CoK, hydra, magic & RXB have destroyed their support units, and then mug them from a couple directions and kill them with FCR.