Temple of Khaine

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Nice report and well done, looked a good game. SO the list is now set??
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hey GeOrc, well done! i'm especially pleased with the compliments paid to you by your opponent with regard to how your game playing ability has improved. Although you lost it was only a minor loss. In fact, under ETC is that not still classed as a draw? We need to check that out. I think you might need 401 points for a minor win.

I will comment at length over the next day or so in regards to your report but all sounds really good for us.

I had a very good game today against an Ogre army. I won the game by scoring 2399vps against his 687vps. A great result. I'll put up a report soon as I can.

My plan now is to try the list out against harder armies, and in particular armies which I believe should quite easily beat us. I'm going to hopefully play against Wood Elves next week under the control of Martin Bunting who won the UK Masters this year. He is a very good player, expert with WEs and a master tactician. It will be a very good test for us!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GeOrc wrote: From my opponents side: David faced GeOrc and his temple of Khaine who have learned much and decieded to make this a evil bloody day for him.

I really like this comment of yours! :D

The Chaos Army
David had played fast units only. His General was a exalted slaaneshi Champion on Steed of Slaanesh, attended by two Exalted tzeentch Champion on Disc (one BSB) and a sorcerer lvl 1 without mark on Steed.

2 Units of 5 marauders on horses with mark of Slaanesh (one with spears)
10 Marauders on foot
2 units of 6 Knighs both with mark of Slaanesh
1 unit of 3 dragon ogres
1 warshrine with mark of Slaanesh
1 chariot
1 hellcanon of Chaos

He choose lore of fire and get the fireball

That is an interesting list, and a style of army we don't really see over here. By that I mean the amount of Slaanesh marking and his character combination. I would like to play against it myself actually.

What happend
I choose side, started deployment and won the dice for 1 round which I offer to David.
Looking at his fast army I had the plan to try to play an refused right flank to try to splitt his units, especially his knights so that I can deal with one after an other. I started to deploy the corsairs in the center and then put some baits on the table so that it looks I would concentrate on the right flank which I would refuse later. First the 15 spears on right side in the center, then the bait, the witch elfs on the right flank and to support the impression some harpies where I could change position quickly in the first round. I hoped he would put some Knights or the dragon ogres on this flank but this didn´t happen.

Unfortunatly David didn´t engage with my plan and deployed three blocks, a strong center and each flank nearly in equal strenght. My baits faced the Slaanesh General on his steed of Slaanesh. Because he deployed a stroon center I was forced to concentrate here as well instead of concentrating on the left side. Damn.

From your comments in these previous two paragraphs it seems to be that David already had a battle plan, maybe even a generic style of deployment which he prefers, and that he stuck to his intention rather than let you dictate what he was doing. This is how I always try to play as well. Generally I have little interest in where my opponents units are placed, choosing instead to try and ensure that my battleline is deployed to best take advantage of the strengths of my list.

However, not everyone has that strength of determination so it is encouraging to see that your own battle plan started at the deployment stage as you tried to force his hand. Well done for trying out that strategy.

David had the first round and moved forward. In my round I tried use the crystal to steal his fireball which already cost my hydra two lifepoints. I wasn´t sucessful.

So did he pass the leadership test then?

... I remembered Alexander the great using a diagonal attack strategy ...

It is good to see that yet again you are thinking on your feet and coming up with ideas & tactics during the game when things don't seem to be going as you would like.

The plan went well, I moved forward on the left side offering my 20 spearmens flank the dragon ogers and be careful that this would be the only charge they get. David liked the bait and my Assassine decoverd to cause 3 wouds, he failed to kill on of my men and the surviving spearmen did enough wounds to get a high CR and the DO flee from the table.

Very clever. I like :D

David had to rethink his strategy because now my 20 spears with warbanner and hydra dominate his flank.

I like this too because it exhibits your apparent control of this area of the battlefield.

I wanted to move the spears to the center to support my troops but the spears had to reform standing in bad position after the persuance of the DO. David used the time and put his marauders on foot in place so that I won´t reach the center without killing the marauders and persue in a wood.

He fights back with the tactics. Seems like a great game.

In my next turn I killed his chariot with Exces and Hydra but perused again into a bad position. The knights flee and I wasn´t able to chatch them, bad luck. In the following round I was charged by the warshrine in the BG which hold and the Exces were chared by the knights an flee. After some turns I was able to win against the Warshrine but persued into the second knights. I get a lot of damage and only 3 BG survied but the hold position and the following turn I charged with the hydra and both units doped with KB from the cauldron killed all knights in CC. In the meantime the general on the right had killed my right flank which was forseeable. My center was very weak now. So that hiy flying characters were bold to charge my troops. The BSB turned again on the center and support them. The exalted Champ on disc charged the hydra and killed her wiht only 1 wound left this wasn´t very difficult. The Slaaneshi General charged the 3 BG in the back, I had first strike and KB and he died at once. My 15 spears charged some marauder horsemen and killed them. The Games ended

Can you list exactly what died out of each army please?

I played withou making any errors. Every turn and action was thought out. Same by David. We analysed the game but found nothing we would have changed or found errors in my gameplay.

Good to hear.

The only thing I thought about was that the spears weren´t able to close the space to the center, But he nailed me there and my best chance was that the characters deal with the marauders and I moved march block to the center in hope that the marauders would be killed. But the master was killed by the BSB and the Assassine wasn´t able to kill the marauders with only 3 attacks and cause of bad luck with my dices. So the Spears wouldn´t be able to join the fight anywhere.

As always you understood what happened during the game, and you showed an ability to manage the ebb and flow of the battle. This is all very encouraging.

It was a good game, against a fast and hard army and a very good player. Most of my opponents David, Marcel and Thorsten were some of the best players here in germany so it´s a hard fight against them. David contratulated my for a very good gameplay and said that I had learned much and alarmingly fast, to fast in his eyes thinking he had a easy game against me. Time changes, so they should fear the temple ;)

Fear the Temple indeed!!!

So am I correct in thinking then that you are enjoying the list we have created, and that you are coming to terms with how it needs to function so as not to lose all the time?

Also, I think you need to arrange games against the following kinds of lists now, so that we can work on a strategy for them:

1. Fast moving Dark Elf army with 2 units of crossbows, 2 units of Dark Riders, 2 units of Harpies, Level 4 on a pegasus, level 2, pendant BSB, Shades, asf Black Guard, 2 RBTs and a Hydra.

2. Empire gun line with Steam Tank and War Altar.

3. Wood Elves - Level 4, BSB with Hail of Doom, Treeman, 3 units of archers, 2 units of Wild Riders, 3 units of Dryads, 2 units or Wardancers, Waywatchers.

4. Brettonians.

5. Daemons with Bloodthirster, 2 units of Horrors, Plaguebearers, 2 units of Flesh Hounds, Flamers, Fiends + whatever.

I will be doing the same. Make careful notes when you play these armies.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Incidentally, this is our record to date with the list:

Wins (4) - Ogres, Lizards x 2, Skaven
Draws (3) - Orcs & Goblins, Dark Elves, Vampire Counts
Loss (1) - Warriors of Chaos

I'll also try and get a practice game against against Joe Sturge (Woodland Animal) in the near future. I know you are a fan of his 'Suicide Elves' stories so I'll get him to offer some input into our quest. :D
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
I asked David for the detailed list, you will have it tomarrow.

Because of Deployment:
I did some experiments here. The thought behind this was that Keledrons plan worked very good against shooting and magic armys. Davids Army was a CC Army as well as mine but faster so it was forseeable that he can choose the combats. Knowing this I would try dictate him he the combats he can choose which worked very good. In the whole game he never did a Charge that I didn´t wanted. This was only possible to change a bit the deployment plan. Being compact in the center would cause that can do a lot of combinated charges. Better to split his strenght and weaken him with two baits on the flanks which were not expensive but hit hard and can´t be ignored. I wasn´t able to disturb him in the deplyment but I did it in the game and we both need much time to rethink our strategies every turn.

Becaue of the dragon ogres Charge, I did a trick here which confuses him. The master with sword of battle and two null talismans was in this units standing on the left corner to the flank. David knowed that if there would be an Assassine in this unit I could only attack when remove the hero form this position. So he thought that I made an error and that there would be no assassine in this unit. He didn´t know that the master hadn´t an armour and would be dead by the first strike of the DO. The master was also the second bait in this unit. I decovered the assassine, removed the master into safety and striked first. He later said that he was sure that were won´t be an assassine in this unit because of the position of the master ;)

Because of the struggle in the center

- David Charged with the chariot and the Knights the frenzied corsairs and killed all except of the standard bearer.
- He decieded to persue with the chariot and to avoid persue with the knights
- He failed his LS test and had to persue with the knights.

- My front line looked this:

Hydra, 4 Executioners, 11 Black Guard with Master with soulrender, 15 spears

- I charged with Hydra and Exces his Chariot and with BG and Spears the knights
- The chariot hold the knights flee
- Hydra and Exces killed all lifepoints of the chariot and had to overrun.
- The hydra overan into a rock and stood befor it
- The Exces overran not far enough into the second knights and so stand before them
-The BG and Spears moved half their movement rate, faraway to charge into an other unit

- David charged with his warshrine the BG and the Knighs flee again. The other knights charged the Exces but they flew, but not far enough. The Exces were gone. The warshrine killed two BG, I didn´t kow If I did some damage but won CC but he hold.

- In my turn give the BG 1 extra attack and I did some damage with the master with soulrender on the warshrine. Again I won CC and the failed his test and because his BSB was busy hunting assassines and masters on the flank had no reroll :twisted:

- I persued but get in contact with the knights which had persued the exces, so the warshrin was out of reach. In davids round I had still the extra attack but with it and ASF I wasn´t able to deal damage to his knights, all was saved. In the opposite David killed 6 BG including the Champion and only three troppers were left. I hold thanks to stubborn and the reroll from the BSB... yes mine wasn´t on a flank to hunt inexpensive casulties :D

- In my turn I give killing blow to hydra and BG and charged with the hydra into the CC with the knights. I had charged and ASF with the BG and I rolled 6 KB which killed the whole unit.
- Because of hatred and the first combat round for the hydra it had to overrun, didn´t get far because of bad luck again with the dices and stand in fron of the BG.
- In Davids Turn he charged with his Exalted Champ into the hydra who had only a lifepoint left and the slanneshi general charged into the back of the three remaining BG.
- With ASF and KB the BG killed the General at once
- The hydra had less luck, get two wounds and wasn´t able to regenerate them.
- I lost CC by two and flew, he persued sucessfuly and the hydra was history.

The spears beside the BG were in a bad position and also being in charge range of the two marauder horsmen units. That´s why I wasn´t able to charge with this units into the CC with the knighs earlierIn an earlier. first I had to move them back to get bot line of sight to the knigts and still presnetingl the fron to the MH unit in the front. To protect my flank I put the general couldron beside the spears. In the next turn when I was able to charge hydra and BG had already done the job. So I charged the MH unit in my front. I won CC but was again not able to persue succesfuly.

Becaue of the list. I love it and it´s a lot of fun as soon as I´m in Close conbat. The way to the CC is always difficult bu I will master. All my opponents are happy about my fast progree in learning the game and tactics. Like said for some to fast ;) I had to say that most of my games I did against some german top players which make the games very very hard, but they have a lot of patience and teach me much.

My next game will be against Wood Elves, but I have no date yet because of less time preparing for the french golden demon competition in end of april.

I´m looking forward to your game against Joe. Indeed I´m a great fan of his suicide elves, which was the cause to try again with an infantry temple army after my first tries end in shame. This was the list in the beginning of this Topic when all began. I tried to contact him, but unfortunatly he never answered my PM on TWF :( Nethertheless greet him from me, he´s a great inspiration.... and then sacrifice his troops on our cauldrons ;)

Kind Regards GeOrc
Los manticores
Warrior

Post by Los manticores »

Very rarely am I riveted to a forum thread. However, when the thread deals with how to use a Khainite list and I'm new to DE, it was worth the two hours of reading. One question that I have, is dealing with the small size of some of these blocks (I'm a Dwarf/Empire player, so small blocks freak me out) how do I calm my fears on this.

This has been a great tutorial for me. Thanks.
Cheers,
Mike C
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

GeOrc wrote:Hi DA,
I asked David for the detailed list, you will have it tomarrow.

Because of Deployment:
I did some experiments here. The thought behind this was that Keledrons plan worked very good against shooting and magic armys. Davids Army was a CC Army as well as mine but faster so it was forseeable that he can choose the combats. Knowing this I would try dictate him he the combats he can choose which worked very good. In the whole game he never did a Charge that I didn´t wanted. That is very impressive, especially with flying characters about. well done mate. This was only possible to change a bit the deployment plan. Being compact in the center would cause that can do a lot of combinated charges. Better to split his strenght and weaken him with two baits on the flanks which were not expensive but hit hard and can´t be ignored. I wasn´t able to disturb him in the deplyment but I did it in the game and we both need much time to rethink our strategies every turn.

Becaue of the dragon ogres Charge, I did a trick here which confuses him. The master with sword of battle and two null talismans was in this units standing on the left corner to the flank. David knowed that if there would be an Assassine in this unit I could only attack when remove the hero form this position. So he thought that I made an error and that there would be no assassine in this unit. He didn´t know that the master hadn´t an armour and would be dead by the first strike of the DO. The master was also the second bait in this unit. I decovered the assassine, removed the master into safety and striked first. He later said that he was sure that were won´t be an assassine in this unit because of the position of the master ;)
i think this may be illegal mate. the assasin displaces a rank and file model. but other than that it was a nice little trick.

Kind Regards GeOrc

I really like the army list and am looking forward to seeing some of it painted up mate. congrats on the really quick learning curve. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself even in tough games and that you have found a list you like.

PS i still think it should be the sword of might not the sword of battle on the master.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

georguswrek I edited your post and removed the block text you had no comments about.... (in other words don't be so lazy!).

@Los Manticores: Welcome to druchii.net mate. Pleased you are enjoying our somewhat lengthy discussion. :D

About your question, start by following this link and selecting the topics "The Birth of Multiple Small Units (MSU)" by Malekithau and "First Principles of MSU" by jamesfazzolari.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=45534

That should give you an understanding of how our minds work when dealing with the use of small units. Feel free to ask any further questions you may have though.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ geoguswrek,
I think the situation isn´t discribed clearly in the armybook. Yes it says the assassine replaces a trooper. And it is replaced in the
front rank. Also it says aexactly when the assassine can be decovered. But it says also (don´t having the army book here to look for the exact words) if there are problems with placing it, you can also remove a miniature from the command crew or a character. I had this problem with the left corner position was the only place in the CloseCombat with the DO where the assassine could be placed and because there was only this flank charge I think it as ok cause the armybook says that a character can be removed in different situations (which arn´t described clearly). But I´m interessted how others think about it, was it against the rules? or a possible move?

@ DA,
here the List from David:
I didn´t know the exact english names of the magic items, so I translate them and mark them with ?? when not knowing

2250 pkt. Warriors of Chaos

Exalted Champ, BSB ,Tzeenth , Disc, shield, ?bronzearmour? , Tzeenths golden eye, ?-1 AS common magic sword?, Favour of the gods, bloadcurling roar 240

Exalted Champ, Tzeenth, Disc, Shield, Flail, ?Armour of Morrslieb? 184

Exalted Champ, Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Shield, Flail, ?Armour of perdition (Reroll sucesful hits)?, 194

Sorcerer of Chaos, Steed of Chaos, 2 dispell scroll 151

5 Marauder horsemen, Slaanesh, spears, 80
5 Marauder horsemen, Slaanesh, 75
10 Marauders, 40

6 Knights of Chaos, Slaanesh, Standard, Champ, ?Banner of passion? 310

6 Knights of Chaos, Slaanesh, Standard, 270

3 Drachenogres, twohanded weapons, 231

Chariot, Slaanesh, 130

warshrine, Slaanesh, 140

Hellcanon, 205

Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hey buddy you misunderstood me. What I meant was a list of what units you killed of his, and a list of which of your units he killed.

About the Assassin/Master trick. Without seeing exactly the unit position at the time it is a little unclear whether you are correct or not.

When the Dragon Ogres charged you in the side did they contact all of your models on that side? I am assuming that this was the 20 spears in 4 ranks as normal.

If they did contact you in this way, the Master would remain where he was, and you would replace one of the regular troopers from the side in touch with the DOs. Although they hit you in your side, this is the 'front' as far as the battleline goes.

You could choose to put the Assassin directly behind the Master, and in contact with the DO which is also in contact with the Master and allocate your attacks against that model. That would kill him in the same way and still save your Master.

It seems that if the DOs did contact you in the side and engage more models than just the Master, what you did was not correct.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ DA,
I discussed this point with David too, He was sure that I could only put the assassine in the front rank and that it would be forbidden to put it on the flank. The point that the flank becomes the front rank wasn´t clear for both of us. But david agreed to remove the master cause I had in mind that I can remove characters when necesarry. Nether the loss that fault wouldn´t have changed the result in a negative way especially for David, He failed his hits and would so if there would be the master there as well. So perhaps the master would have cause some more casulties but this wasn´t necesarry cause wound enough so that the unit flee from the table.

About the list, sorry:

He killed

- Master with sword of battle and 2 null talismans (killed by BSB and roar)
- Master with soulrender and crystal (killed by knights)
- Assassine half (by BSB and roar)
- Executioners (most by the hellcanon, four remaining by the knights while fleeing)
- BG half (kiled by warshrine and knights)
- Witchelfs (killed by the Slaaneshi General)
- 2 x 5 Harpies (killed by Slaaneshi General)
- 10 corsairs with SSS (killed by Knights and warshrine)
- 10 corsairs (killed by the hellcanon and flee from table)
- Hydra (killed by a lot of fireballs and the exaltet Champ on disc)

The cauldrons and the Spears survived both as well as 3 BG

I killed

- Slaaneshi General (killed by the BG)
- Exalted Champ on Disc half (wounded by the Assassine)
- 5 Marauder horsemen (killed by the spears)
- 3 Dragon Ogres (killed by the Assassine and Spears)
- 5 Knights (killed by the BG and the hydra)
- Chariot (killed by Exces and Hydra)

Kind Regards
GeOrc
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
in the beginning of this week I had a game vs woodelfs which end in a massacre. All my druchii were killed except of:

- hydra
- Assassine
- Cauldron (without death Hag)

He played:
Wardancer hero, ranger hero, BSB,
2x10 Archer, 2x5 rider, 2x6 wild hunters (one with warbanner), 1x4 Treekin, 10 wardancers, 1 Treeman, 10 rangers

I didn´t know how the rangers work and so I was surprised was he deployed them in my deployment zone behind my wicht elfs. A general deployment error I made was that I put my units to far in the back of my deployment zone thinking this would help against his archers but mentioned very quickly that I didn´t get out of his reach. Beside that error the general deployment from my side was good. Especially the hydra which guards a forest in front of my deployment zone and makes sure that he wouldn´t deploy the rangers there.
He starts the game and had a lot of bad luck in the first turns with his shooters.
I did some errors during the game, here some thing I learned

- I won´t be able to catch a skirmishing unit with only one rank and file unit. My withces survived a long time s the rangers but in a critical moment were I had to charge on of his rider unit I choose the rangers and forgot that these would stand and shoot (was this possible, they were only a few inches away.)

- Support with my BSB and the banner of Naggarythe.
Again a critical situation. In the beginning of the turn I mentioned to myself that I had to move the BSB cauldron on the right, from the left flank of the treeman to his right of couse ou of line of sight to support my general cauldron fighting with a unit wild hunters. Because of this error I lost the general cauldron.

A single Unit of BG isn´t able to kill a unit of 4 treekin. They fight a terrible fight through 3 turns and in the end the BG died. I had pimped them with extra attacks but the armour save and the ward save was to good. I won several CR but he had a lot of luck with his leadership roles. Also I wasn´t able to send support.

The executioners need the cold blooded banner. First they flee from panic thanks to an other unit in panic. Later I had them in a good position to attack the treeman and then they flee from terror and fear. I think there is need for the cold blood banner. The exces need it more than the warriors.

A cauldron have no Chance against a character with ASF, here the wardancer hero who killed the BSB death hag.

Some nice situations in the game.
- I had a lot of fun with my hydra burning down a lot of wood elfs
_ The assassine with rendering stars was able to shoot some rangers and they paniced in the last turn togehter with their hero... yeah

So far from this bad day for the temple. There is need for a bloody revanche I think.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GeOrc wrote:Hi DA,
in the beginning of this week I had a game vs woodelfs which end in a massacre. All my druchii were killed except of:

- hydra
- Assassine
- Cauldron (without death Hag)

He played:
Wardancer hero, ranger hero, BSB,
2x10 Archer, 2x5 rider, 2x6 wild hunters (one with warbanner), 1x4 Treekin, 10 wardancers, 1 Treeman, 10 rangers

This is one of the games I see as a tough match up for our list. Anyways, let's look at some feedback.

I didn´t know how the rangers work and so I was surprised was he deployed them in my deployment zone behind my wicht elfs. A general deployment error I made was that I put my units to far in the back of my deployment zone thinking this would help against his archers but mentioned very quickly that I didn´t get out of his reach.

Remember that I keep saying that if you are facing units new to you, don't be afraid to ask exactly how everything works. Opponents won't mind. Waywatchers (rangers) are particularly nasty with their special deployment rule and their killing blow shots, so we need to take this into account when deploying, so as to counter their deployment ability either with a terror test, or the threat of a charge in some manner.

Beside that error the general deployment from my side was good. Especially the hydra which guards a forest in front of my deployment zone and makes sure that he wouldn´t deploy the rangers there. Good thoughts.
He starts the game and had a lot of bad luck in the first turns with his shooters.
I did some errors during the game, here some thing I learned

- I won´t be able to catch a skirmishing unit with only one rank and file unit. My withces survived a long time s the rangers but in a critical moment were I had to charge on of his rider unit I choose the rangers and forgot that these would stand and shoot (was this possible, they were only a few inches away.)

As long as you are over half your charge distance away they can stand and shoot. There are certain situations where you may be closer but due to necessary wheeling, or movement through terrain, he can still stand and shoot. See the diagrams on page 18 of the BRB.

- Support with my BSB and the banner of Naggarythe.
Again a critical situation. In the beginning of the turn I mentioned to myself that I had to move the BSB cauldron on the right, from the left flank of the treeman to his right of couse ou of line of sight to support my general cauldron fighting with a unit wild hunters. Because of this error I lost the general cauldron.

An error but again you have realised your mistake, so shouldn't do it again.

A single Unit of BG isn´t able to kill a unit of 4 treekin. They fight a terrible fight through 3 turns and in the end the BG died. I had pimped them with extra attacks but the armour save and the ward save was to good. I won several CR but he had a lot of luck with his leadership roles. Also I wasn´t able to send support.

This is where magic weapons help. At least one of the Masters should've been in this combat. The Treekin ward save does not work against magical attacks. Their ward save is part of the 'Forest Spirit' special rule IIRC. Wild Riders have it too so magic weapons worry them a lot!

The executioners need the cold blooded banner. First they flee from panic thanks to an other unit in panic. Later I had them in a good position to attack the treeman and then they flee from terror and fear. I think there is need for the cold blood banner. The exces need it more than the warriors.

As you have seen, I have already made this change in my army. I agree totally.

A cauldron have no Chance against a character with ASF, here the wardancer hero who killed the BSB death hag.

I assume you remembered to challenge with the attendants for 2 rounds first? And that this COB was out of position so you couldn't get support in?

Some nice situations in the game.
- I had a lot of fun with my hydra burning down a lot of wood elfs
_ The assassine with rendering stars was able to shoot some rangers and they paniced in the last turn togehter with their hero... yeah

So far from this bad day for the temple. There is need for a bloody revanche I think. Good to hear!! Go get that revenge!!

When I have a little more time I'll suggest some tactics for you ready for when you get the rematch.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Woodelves are always gonna be a toughie for an army like yours. Little shooting and low movement vlaues make this a real difficulty in that your opponent has no real incentive to get into combat. Commiserations on the loss.
One minor issue however. Remember that if Waywatchers (Rangers) deploy withing 10" of your troops, they have to be within or behind interposing terrain. this means they shouldn;t be able to deploy directly behind your witches.
Also, if the cauldrons have 360 degree line of sight(i think they do) it will be very hard for his waywatchers to be out of line of sight.
Los manticores
Warrior

Post by Los manticores »

If it's a battle I'm going to lose, this is how I prefer to do it. Your opponent may have won the battle, but it sounds as if you are winning the war. A loss like this is just chock ful of knowledge. For you the player and me the reader. I've only be around d.net for a little bit, but this by far is one of the best army builds that I've read, that I will come back to. If I wasn't such a lazy typist I should start my own Khainite Diary. :) Good luck GeOrc, your loyal reader awaits your next tale!
Cheers,
Mike C
Kwi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kwi »

I don't post much and I lurk everyday and I have to say I absolutely love this thread!

Please keep it going as it is a wonderful evolution of the Khanite list.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Here's an overview of the last game I played, which was against Ogres. I used the same list as before (GeOrc I think you need to use the tweaked version I am now using) and he used this:

Tyrant - tenderiser, something that made him not afraid of terror?
Butcher with scroll and skull mantle(-1 ld for tests caused by this guy or his unit)
Butcher with scroll and banfstick
Hunter

2 units 3 Ogres with fc
2 units of 3 Ironbreakers with fc
scraplauncher
Gnoblar Trappers
Giant

My deployment area was split by a large piece of impassable terrain in the centre which blocked los. Quite lucky really as he had a hill in the centre of his which was an ideal location for the Scraplauncher :evil:

This is what I did with the COB blessings each turn:

Turn 1
General - a ward save to the Witch Elves in case he shot or zapped them. I wanted to keeo them as strong as possible as they can charge his line without fear, and as the Assassin was hiding in them I wanted as many attacks as possible when they got into melee.
BSB - ward save to the frenzied Corsairs for similar reasons. In hindsight this was a bad decision as he proceeded to hit the Executioners in turn 1 with the Scraplauncher. They panic and fail to rally in my turn 1 (he went first) and thus run off the board :cry: !!

Turn 2
General - same as turn 1 as the WEs are about to get charged by a unit of Ironguts. I reveal the Assassin this turn so I have a stand and shoot.
BSB - same as turn 1 as they are also about to get charged.

Turn 3
General - +1 attack to the Hydra. I have moved the Hydra in front of the piece of impassable terrain, facing off against a unit of Ironguts containing his Tyrant and a Butcher. This unit is now 5 Ogres wide and so is quite unwieldy. My intention is to either bait the Tyrant into a solo charge against the Hydra which would leave him vulnerable to a flank charge from my 20 Warrior unit, or even better he charges with the whole unit and he ends up stuck in front of the impassable terrain offering me 2 flank charges.

He opted for a lone charge with the Tyrant who failed to kill the Hydra as it made 4 out of 5 regen saves, killing the Tyrant in return (he was already wounded from Hydra breath)!

BSB - put +1 attack onto the frenzied Corsairs who lose and get in the way of the advancing BG as they flee.

Turn 4
General - +1 attack on the Hydra as it readys to charge the marchblocked Irongut unit which used to have a Tyrant...
BSB - +1 attack to the block of 20 Warriors who are going to help the Hydra as we look to push through his centre.

Turn 5
General - ward save onto the Hydra as he only has 1 wound left and I need him to stay alive. More Ogres to kill!
BSB - +1 attack to the BG as they are finally in combat and sweeping through the Ogre units on ther right flank, heading towards the centre.

Turn 6 - the game is over bar the shouting so we head to the bar! A massive win for the Dark Elves of Khaine :twisted:

Lows
- forgot the Crystal of Midnight for 3 turns! :oops:
- Executioners running of the board in turn 1
- Poor deployment of the Masters. The MR2 guy was in the BG again!! :oops: :oops: I really must remember not to do this...

Highs
- the fantastic regen rolls made by the Hydra as he proceeded to eat the Tyrant!
- Assassin killing one Irongut with stars as they charge in, and then killing another in melee
- basic Corsair unit holding in combat against the giant for 2 rounds of combat before breaking and pulling him completely out of the game
- the block of 15 spears taking a charge from an Ogre unit, beating them and running them down to control the left flank
- Harpies flying behind his lines on my turn 1, causing much harrassment to his Scraplauncher and march blocking the centre of the Ogre line, thus allowing me to manouvre around the impassable terrain and strengthen my position

Worries
- Ogre magic is not that destructive but 2 level 2s casting on 1 dice backed up with the bangstick showed the problems ahead against magic heavy armies.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Gry well done mate. I like the idea but lack of time to learn a new list. it is a great army and how DE's should be played.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

This is a interesting topic, so interesting that you guys convinced me to create one army like this of my own. I like
this concept of this army and how it is evolving in something nasty. I'm testing this concept aswell this weekend. Against
what would you guys like to see me testing this army concept? Empire, Skaven, Chaos warriors or Daemons? My list is slightly
different though:

2x Cauldron with Gen and BSB: banner of Nagarythe
1x Master with Soulrender and Blood armour (BG, or Cors.)
1x Assasin Rending Stars and Rune of Khaine. (Exec?)
2x 10 RXB-men with shields
1x 14 Corsairs with FC and the SSS
1x 12 Corsairs with FC
2x 5 harpys
2x 12 Exec. with FC
1x 12 BG with Fc, Banner of Hag Graef, RoH.
1x War hydra

So, let me know if I can help you out here.
Cheers,
MDK
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hey MDK that's great news to hear. Even though you have added in the extra missile troops your list is still very close to GeOrc's original remit. I'm pleased not to see any Shades or cavalry. Interested to see how the 2 units of Executioners works out.

If you could, I would like to see how you fare against either a Daemon list led by a Bloodthirster, or an Empire army with a single Steam Tank. As we are running ETC rules the full pack can be found here:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 18&t=54054

It would really help us out if you could ask your opponent to make his army as true to this composition as possible, if he is willing. No worries if he isn't, we would still be delighted to learn of the outcome of your game(s) anyway.

When you report the results if you could follow our format and list what you do with the COB blessings each turn, along with your reasoning why. Plus highs and lows.

Thanks again for your interest, and your offer of help. Welcome to the Temple!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

So, MDK, did you get to play?
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Next thursday or friday will be the day to test vs Empire. And after that I will use it at my local gamingclub on sunday.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
sorry for my silence but GD france is only a few days away and I have a lot of work to do to finish my stuff. I will comment more detailed after the weekend.

@ DA,
sounds like a good Game, congrats to your win

@ MDK
good to hear that you are in here too. More fighters for Khaine. Looks like we started a new wave how to play dark elfs. I´m looking forward to your report.

I like the idea of two Exces units, because I had always trouble with them. Two would be more redundant because often I loose them at once to shooting or if they survive they didn´t get the charge because they panic, flee from terror or have problems with fear. The cold blooded Banner should be put into this unit and I think to change the list in way to play to small units of 7.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Hase
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Hase »

@ GeOrc

You want to play this very very self-limitated list on tournaments. Are you designed the list for a special one? Like the ETC or the ETC Side event? Or do you just wrote the list to fit in most restrictions on german tournaments?

Hase
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

This list is destined to be played at this years' ETC.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Hase,
the list is for the ETC Side Event. I´m still at my beginning in Gaming, But with DA help I had a good progress. Perhaps someday I´m good enough to lead the temple in the ETC itself.

GeOrc