Help...Need an army to take on Lizardmen

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark_angel26
Slave on the Altar

Help...Need an army to take on Lizardmen

Post by Dark_angel26 »

Okay, so here's the deal. I am putting the finishing touches on my army and need to tweak it to be able to take on a Lizardmen army that is strong on magic. I was going to use a mainly Khainite army with Hellebron/manticore as my general. But, I wasn't strong on magic and didn't really have a lot of protection from it either. All I really had was the Ring of Hotek on my Cold One Riders. So, would it be better to take a Dreadlord and a couple of Sorceresses with Dispel scrolls and scrap Hellebron in order to be better equipped against strong magic armies? I would place the Dreadlord with the Cold One Knights.

I'm new to this so any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. I am mainly just looking to get my general and characters straightened out. I am pretty set on my core, special, and rare choices since I already have those models. But, I am open to opinions.

General
Dreadlord 242
Cold One
Lifetaker
Heavy Armour
Lance
Ring of Darkness

Characters
Sorceress 185
Level 2 Wizard
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

Sorceress 150
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

Core
20 Spearmen 129
Musician
Standard Bearer

10 Crossbowmen 115
Musician
Shields

20 Corsairs 225
Reaver
Musician
Standard Bearer

5 Dark Riders 117
Musician
Crossbows

5 Dark Riders 117
Musician
Crossbows

10 Harpies 110

Special
5 Cold One Knights 235
Dreadknight
Musician
Standard Bearer
Standard of Slaughter
Ring of Hotek

15 Witch Elves 190
Hag
Musician
Witchbrew

Rare
War Hydra 175

Total 1990

Please refer to the appropriate format for posting army lists. Individual points costs were removed as they are a copyright violation. --druchi77
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Do not post individual points costs for items.

You will need a save on your spears just to try and survive all the blowpipes in his army, 2 caddies is too many wasted points, go medium magic with a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 and add the sac dagger and a familiar to them.

DR are kind of worthless versus Lizardmen, their shooting is trivial and they are far too vulnerable to the Skink blowpipes to have must effect on the enemy. Drop a couple for more RXB with shields.

Harpies are fine 2x5

Corsairs and witches are fine, but both will benifit more from being 7 wide than the extra rank bonus.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I'm not so sure about the role of Warriors, Corsairs and Witch Elves versus Lizardmen. They won't be able to touch Saurus or Stegadons, and the only thing they'll stand a fighting chance against are ranked-up skinks. However, those skinks will be getting the charge with their kroxigor buddies, and probably annihilating and breaking both of those regiments. I happen to think Executioners with a hag BSB with ASF is really the only Druchii regiment that can go up against lizardmen regiments and come out on top.

If you do stay with the Dreadlord, consider using Caledor's Bane. If you find yoruself going up against a well-armored Saurus character, you'll entirely bust his armor save by ignoring his scaley skin and charging with Strength 7. If the combat lasts multiple rounds, you're still ignoring scaley skin, making that Strength 4 Dreadlord suddenly hit a lot harder.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Tethlis wrote:If you do stay with the Dreadlord, consider using Caledor's Bane. If you find yoruself going up against a well-armored Saurus character, you'll entirely bust his armor save by ignoring his scaley skin and charging with Strength 7. If the combat lasts multiple rounds, you're still ignoring scaley skin, making that Strength 4 Dreadlord suddenly hit a lot harder.

Agreed

Tethlis wrote:I'm not so sure about the role of Warriors, Corsairs and Witch Elves versus Lizardmen. They won't be able to touch Saurus or Stegadons, and the only thing they'll stand a fighting chance against are ranked-up skinks. However, those skinks will be getting the charge with their kroxigor buddies, and probably annihilating and breaking both of those regiments. I happen to think Executioners with a hag BSB with ASF is really the only Druchii regiment that can go up against lizardmen regiments and come out on top.

You will need an exe champ to take the challenge, but it could work.

I tend to thin out the units with magic, hit them with word of paint, and then load up on flank and outnumbering bonuses, so I've not noticed a problem with witches taking care of them. The girls get so many hits and wounds that they will do damage, and their hag with MB will help a lot. In a big unit of witches with full command, banner of murder is also good. I think spears and corsairs are worthless in general, so can't dis-agreed regarding them.

Generally watch out for characters with ASF weapons
"Luck is the residue of design"