2000pts first list moved from 40K

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Toxicsnot
Slave (off the Altar)

2000pts first list moved from 40K

Post by Toxicsnot »

Hi there, I've left the hobby for a while now i'm trying to get back into it.. starting off fresh by moving from Dark Eldar in 40k over to Dark Elves. I'd like to receive some opinions from anyone here.
My intention in this army list is something well balanced, capable of breaking blocks, use magic, and some hidden surprises. Overall strategy is offensive rather than defensive.
I've already got most of these core units painted up (block infantry)

My questions for this army list are:
1. Strengths and Weaknesses
2. How it fits into my intention for my army list
3. Opinions on my deployment setup
4. Examples armies/army comps I will be strong against, weak against.
5. is it legal? (being new to WHFB i could miss certain rules)

Characters:
[1]Supreme Sorceresss - sacrificial dagger, ring of hotek, dispell scroll
[2]Death Hag - BSB, Standard of Hag Graef

Core:
[3]20 Dark Elf Warriors - spear, light armor, full command
[4]20 Dark Elf Warriors - spear, light armor, shield, full command, Banner of Cold Blood
[5]5 Dark Riders - RXB, Spear, light armor, dark steed, musician
[6]5 Dark Riders - RXB, Spear, light armor, dark steed, musician
[7]6 Harpies

Special:
[8]18 Executioners - Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Hand weapon, Full command
[9]6 Shades - RXB, Great Weapon, Assassin: 2nd Hand weapon
[10]14 Witch Elves - Banner of Murder, Full command
[11]Cold one Chariot

Rare:
[12]War Hydra

Deployment: each entry in list is given [#] and shown in deployment

^^^^ FACING ENEMY THIS WAY ^^^^

[scout 9 ]

[ 5 ] [12] [ 10 ] [ 1 & 3 ] [ 2 & 8 ] [11] [ 4 ] [ 6 ]
[ 7 ]
Toxicsnot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Toxicsnot »

It is best I provide you all the information I have about this armylist before you guys start analysing them. So here is more of what I intend to do with each unit.

At the center of the battle line:
1) Executioners rows of 7 with Always strike first BSB
weak against: Shooting, chariot impact hits. And horde block infantry (I'm swapping the witch elve's banner of murder for the BSB's rune of Khaine for extra punch in taking out light infantry)
Purpose: the 'anti-elite' unit. Capable of taking on big tough creatures, heavy infantry, heroes, or any form of elite unit. And to hold the center of the battle line. Breaking blocks, if not then slowly reducing their strength as supporting units help out. BSB + generals's LD of 9 should be relatively reliable from breaking itself.

2) Warriors with Supreme Sorceresss
Weak against: shooting, my (will be) reckless use of sacrificial dagger. Anti magic.
Purpose: this is the one and only magic anchor in the army, with ring of hotek and a scroll to provide protection. But wit the sacrificial dagger its main role is to Overpower if not matchup against any enemy magic, and use Dark magic/Shadow magic to destroy units I want to avoid fighting against/ use supporting spells.

On the flank A of the battle line:
3) Witch Elves rows of 7
Weak against: heavily armored opponents
Purpose: very specific against all light/medium armored opponents. They are more expendable than the sorceress and warriors block hence they will be sacrificed first if something unstoppable approaches on that portion of the battle. I'd also rather have shooting directed to witches rather than executioners

4) War Hydra
Weak Against: warmachine shooting, magic
Purpose: psychological, to lure as much shooting into the hydra away from other units. Assault to support the witch elves, draw combat away from the sorcerer's regiment.

5) Dark Riders (both units on far ends of battle line)
Weak Against: shooting, flying units, agile units.
Purpose: march block. Take out soft targets with RXBs, supporting charge for witch elves or war hydras

6) Harpies: self explanatory role and weakness for harpies! … but should they belong to flank A?

On flank B of the battle line:

7) Chariot
Weak Against: War machine shooting, bulk infantry blocks.
Purpose: protect Warriors on flank B from being flank charged by flanking units (i.e. hard hitting units with small numbers 7 row x1 rank etc. ) Destroy enemy flanker units, or charge enemy knights

8) Warriors with banner of cold blood
Weak against: Heavy infantry, heavy calvary, anything hard hitting.
Purpose: hold the line on flank B. Must work together with chariot, shades, dark riders to slowly dwindle enemy strength before the come into contact with spearmen.

9) Shades with assassin:
Weak against: magic, shooting, fast calvary, and harasser units
Purpose: Element of surprise: considerable firepower. And surprise charge with great weapons + assassin against any average block unit in combination with dark riders to put up a good fight. Or can charge 'flanker' units of the enemy as well (same target category as chariots)

That rounds it up guys!

Thank you soo much for taking the time to read my post. All comments and criticisms are welcome.

-Toxic
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

I don't know why you put the harpies behind the line to start with, I usually have them as missle screens infront of units likely to suffer from shooting, rather than the other way around. The banner of Cold Blood seems a little unusual of a choice for the second warriors unit, But given that it is not going to be more than 12 inches from the sorceress early in the game, perhaps it won't have a problem with leadership against scary baddies. maybe.
Perhaps umm, up the numbers of the [3] group so you can sacrifice more, and have that squad the backup or flanking squad of warriors? with only 20 warriors in the squad with sac dagger. You will be taking tests when you sacrifice 5 guys in one turn, and less as the game goes on. So perhaps that risk is better left with a few more troops to start. And the Banner of Cold Blood will only be relevent on extremely circumstancial events. Which could be avoided by using alternative troops on.
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

do not give your supreme source ring of hotek it affects all casters! even yours!

the death hag in the executioners i great with ASF if you give her manbane it would make her even more deadly

i would have to disagree with Brokenstone about giving your warriors banner of cold blood as it will help them to receive a charge and hold allowing your chariot to serve its purpose and counter attack which will prolly only happen once a game

the assassin in the shades is very fragile! im not sure if you forgot to post up his other gifts or only gave him a xtrahw, if you only gave him an xtra hw, then you will want to give him other gifts of khaine (rhune of khaine, touch of death or manbane and rending stars) are great choices as they can make a normally weka unit very deadly. But again hes not well protected in the shades so you'll need to be careful. I always enjoy putting him in my large blocks and telling HE players i go first! :twisted:

also more harpies might help as both your executioners and witch elves are vulnerable to shooting without cauldron of blood backup.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

Sorry, I started replying before seeing your second post, Definitely take the RoH out of the sorceress range, I still wonder if the warriors with banner of cold blood are a necessary element.
Definitely need to equip the assassin and hag with gifts as they are not worth their cost without the extra kicks they can give.
What points cost is this list? Also, are you likely to be playing against friends with definite lists, or taking it to GW's and playing whoever? Knowing what opponents you have can help guide what sort of builds to make.