Exiled Dark Elf, Troop Heavy

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sonofhades
Trainee Warrior

Exiled Dark Elf, Troop Heavy

Post by Sonofhades »

Army list writing does not come easy to me but here is one i'm planning to run with, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Dreadlord-Dragon Cloak, Eternal Servitude, Shield, Ring of Darkness,
Gem of Nightmares, Great Weapon-255pts

Sorceress-Lvl2, two Null Talismans-165pts

Master-Chariot, Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Soul Render, Shield-195pts

Sorceress-Lvl2, Tome of Furion, Null Talisman-165pts

Sorceress-Lvl2, Dark Star Cloak, Null Talisman-175pts

Master-BSB, Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield, Great Weapon,
Banner of Naggarythe-244pts

Core Troops

35 Spearmen-full command, shields, Banner of Murder-285pts
21 Spearmen-full command, shields-162pts
21 Spearmen-full command, shields-162pts
5 Dark Riders-Crossbows-110pts

Special Troops

20 Black Guard-full command, Kouran, Dread Banner-396pts
10 Executioners-Draich-Master-132pts
7 Shades-Blood Shade, Great Weapons-144pts
Chariot-100pts
Chariot-100pts

Rare Troops

Bolt Thrower-100pts
Bolt Thrower-100pts

Army cost 2990pts

The Army is mostly Foot Troops for my theme, I play very Agressively in nearly all cases. My habit for spells is either Dark or Shadow which i love to use.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

You need a couple magic weapons in the list, and swap a couple of the null talismans for the seal of ghrond and maybe a dispell scroll.

There is no real point to more than 25 spears in a unit and you could do with more dark riders or harpies. to help control the enemy movement.

It looks like your champ and BSB are meant for the black guard. They really need the ASF banner in that case as the their GW will strike last.

Others will post spesific advice for the army list as I just don;t play games that big and am not sure what would work.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sonofhades
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sonofhades »

I have bad habits from when i played when i was younger i would never go Character heavy or take special characters, so i'm trying to change my style of gaming perhaps the list is not radical enough.
Ahh! i guess i should have said the Lord and BSB sit in the large spearmen unit.
Kouran is a little weak by himself in the BG but i like the fluff and i did think of going even less magic and taking another master tooled up to go in this unit.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, SonofHades (another name with a God's heritage! :D ), welcome in D.net, as this is your 1st post.

So, a big infantry list, with 3 chariots. They get well along, as speed is concerned.

As Rabidnid mentioned, 35 spears is too much, you have no interest to put them 7 wide. 25 seems enough.

BG with Kouran is unbreakable so no character can join them. They deserve the ASF banner rather than the dread one, they don't need to be made immune to fear, they are already. That dread banner would be better with the BSB in the big unit.

The sorceress setting is weird: they seem nice onthe offensive, but that many null shard may be too much. They won't protect your specials and you may accept loosing a few warriors.

For more detailed advice, dig into the D.R.A.I.C.H., on top of the tactics forum.

Have fun!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sonofhades
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sonofhades »

Hey Calisson thanks for the welcome. Favoured by the Gods eh! 8)

In my smaller games i have been running my spears seven wide with some success, though i admit this will be the first time i take a unit above 21 in size. Is the reason people advise against large units due to the fact they will be unwieldy.

I think your correct about the fear banner on the BG although i like the fact it would cause fear but i will drop it in favour of the strike first banner, give Kouran some extra survivability just incase the unit does get charged.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

SonofHades wrote:Hey Calisson thanks for the welcome. Favoured by the Gods eh! 8)

In my smaller games i have been running my spears seven wide with some success, though i admit this will be the first time i take a unit above 21 in size. Is the reason people advise against large units due to the fact they will be unwieldy.

I think your correct about the fear banner on the BG although i like the fact it would cause fear but i will drop it in favour of the strike first banner, give Kouran some extra survivability just incase the unit does get charged.

In that case 28 (7x4) or 30 (6x5) might be a better choice. Their damage potential agaist most things with S-3 is fairly trivial, so the extra width is quite expensive for the 35 points per row. If it works for your of course do it :)

People will be quite scared of the blackguard as is, without the banner :)
"Luck is the residue of design"