Reveal's Vanguard (2K List)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Follower of reveal
Slave on the Altar

Reveal's Vanguard (2K List)

Post by Follower of reveal »

OK, so I'm a new Druchii player, having just recently converted from VC. I have a couple of games under my belt with the VC, but so far haven't even bought the bulk of my army. So I got bored at work and started writing up a list so I could get an idea of what models to buy.
In my fluff there isn't a lot of cavalry, and the army is fanatically devoted to a mysterious Chaos being called Reveal, who my VC also serve.
So Here's what I came up with:

Dreadlord
Armor of Darkness
Pendant of Khaeleth
Soul Render
215 Points

Master- Battle Standard Bearer
Extra Hand Weapon
Repeater Handbow
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Hydra Banner
200 Points

Sorceress
Lvl 2
Seal of Ghrond
Tome of Furion
180 Points

Sorceress
Lvl 2
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel Scroll
185 Points

20 Warriors
Shields
Full Command
War Banner
180 Points

10 RXBmen
Shields
110 Points

10 RXBmen
Shields
110 Points

15 Black Guard
Full Command
Standard of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek
290 Points

10 Executioners
Full Command
Banner of Murder
175 Points

8 Shades
Extra Hand Weapons
Blood Shade
154 Points

2 Reapers
200 Points

Total: 1,999 Points

So there it is, any thoughts would be appreciated, like I said before, this is mostly so I can figure out which models to buy.

Tactically, the Reapers set up towards the flanks, with the one unit of RXBmen guarding each one. The Sorceresses will deploy with the RXBmen, while the Lord and Master (ooooh, I like the sound of that) set up in the unit of BG, center of the battle line. Spears and Execs will stand on either side of the BG, while the shades will run out and harass the enemy with RXB fire, before attempting to lure the foes into the ASF, +1 Attack BG Unit.

My typical enemies will be Orcs, Lizards, Warriors of Chaos (MoT), and possibly wood elves.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate the advice of my Brethren.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

The nice thing about dark elves is that they have some very mobile core units like dark riders and harpies. I don't use the dark riers myself, but find the harpies are aindespensible, for march blocking and screening.

A unit of 5 shades for harrassment is fine, but at 184 points, your 8 shades are asking for a magic missile. A much smaller and cheaper unit would be better.

Black guard are great 7 wide, ad the rank bonus is nice, but costly with these guys, 2x7 would work just as well.

It looks like both your Deadlord and master are meant to go in the black guard. but there is simply no reason why people would go anywhere near them. Knights will try to run down your RXB and rout your sorc and RBT off the table, and then flank your infantry in the centre.

A slightly more dynamic army with harpies, hydras, cold one knights or chariots, will be more threatening.

Mounting your BSB will work well, and dropping the hydra banner for a more combat oriented and mounted BSB is always a good thing.

I'm sure other people will cme past with advice and Calisson's D.R.A.I.C.H articles are well work reading as well.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

i would take armor of D off your dreadlord and give him mundane armor + a coldone same with the master as they will get 1+ save and allow your units to be immune to fear(the BG) and some null tally if hes going in the BG as you have only one scroll. i would also give your dreadlord crimson death to make up for the loss of +2 strength from soulrender.

i would drop the executioners for some CoK or a chariot to better fit your fluff as Rabidnid said. executioners are better off with CoB

i personally wouldnt take 2 sorceress's around the RoH ( i would prefer an assassin)..but if your a lucky guy then go for it

:D
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

DarkAngel16 wrote:i would take armor of D off your dreadlord and give him mundane armor + a coldone same with the master as they will get 1+ save and allow your units to be immune to fear(the BG)

BG are immune to psychology so fear doesn't bother them.

DarkAngel16 wrote:i personally wouldnt take 2 sorceress's around the RoH ( i would prefer an assassin)..but if your a lucky guy then go for it

It takes practice (and I'm still learning it) but it works. And I'm using level 4 and level 2 with RoH around.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I am using lvl 4 and lvl2 with ring and it is awesome. i would swap the execuotioners for a hydra, If you want them make them cheap with 7.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Follower of reveal
Slave on the Altar

Post by Follower of reveal »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad to see that no one ripped this to shreds, a result I've had on other forums (peasants, all of them). After giving it a second look, I think I will make some changes.
@Rabidnid- You might be right on those shades. I'll drop 'em to 5 and see what happens. I would like to put some cavalry in, but my fluff kind off clashes. Although I might be able to sneak some CoK's in there if I drop the execs, and maybe find a way to make them fit my fluff.
@Dark Angel- I might mount the dreadlord, and possibly the BSB, but my problem at the moment with that is fluff. I'm one of those players who puts fluff first, and unfortunately, this general likes to go in with a greatsword on foot, the BSB also serving as a personal guard.
@Marauder- I might try the hydra, it looks fun :evil:
May You Face One Thousand Foes and Never Know Defeat