Quick Response Force (QRF) of Karond Kar

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

@Calisson-Thanks for the nice comments and the inclusion of the list into the Brotherhood!. I'll make the change and drop a shade for a Reaver with 2 RHBs and a Musician for the smaller Corsair unit. That will the 2000pt list finished! :D

I've recently been challanged by Kinslayer to a 2250pt game against his Night Goblins. I'm using QRF while expanding to 2250pts

Nerein the Cruel - Drachau of Karond Kar
Dreadlord, Black Dragon, Caledors Bane, AoD, Potion of Strength

Mistress Vyela
Lv 2 Sorceress, Power stone and Dispell Scroll

(Daughter of Nerein)

Mistress Jasma
Lv 2 Sorceress, Seal of Ghrond, Tome of Furion

(Daughter of Nerein)

2x10 RXB, Shields and Musician

14 Corsairs, AHW's, FC, Sea Serpent Standard
(Crew from the "Leviathon")

10 Corsairs, AHW's Musician
(Crew from the 'Sea Kraken')

2x5 DR, Musician, RXB's
2x5 Harpies

2XCoC

5 Shades with GW's

War Hydra

Total; 2250pts.

The extra points are highlighted, had to drop the 2 RHB Reaver to have points for the powerstone. Personally I'm leaning towards the 2 sorceress's to make the list a better balanced one. However, should I go with this set up or stick with the caddy and have 2 RBTs instead or even a assassin with RStars?
Death on Wings!
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Magic can be your friend. Playing with a single scroll caddy against even magic medium armies can get tedious. Therefore, I think you made a good choice. And the pair of RHB on the reaver was a point filler anyway ;).
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

Why no handbows on the 10-man unit? They arent exactly much for hitting power in combat even with 2 swords, but the shooting makes them more flexible.
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

@Thanatoz-Many thanks for all your help and commants on this list. Please let me know how it goes if you choose to use it with a Manti and DP.

@WarpGhost- :oops: Thats a Typo, they will have RHB's, wasn't concentrating fully when I posted it. Fair point though, thanks.

How are the magic items on the 2 Sorcs?
Death on Wings!
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

So yesterday I found an old Hydra still in its box on ebay and one of those 'I've got to have it moments'! :D I think two different looking hydras will look really good on the table. I've had to doctor the 2250pt list and lose the Dragon before it became a monster mash army. The fluff changed slightly but is easily rectified.

I think the new list fits a Karond Kar list really well even though it does contain the somewhat frowned upon and beardy double hydra-but of all army lists a Karond Kar one is the most likely one to have two Hydras! :D

Vaulkhar of Karond Kar
Dreadlord, Cold One, Hydra Blade, AoD, Potion of Strength, RXB

Lv 2 Sorceress, Seal of Ghrond, Tome of Furion

2x10 RXB, Shields and Musician

15 Corsairs, AHW's, FC, Sea Serpent Standard

2x5 DR, Musician, RXB's

4x5 Harpies

5 COK, FC, RoH, Standard of Slaughter (lord in here)

2XCoC

7 Shades with GW's

2xWar Hydra

Total; 2250pts.

Fluffwise I love both this and the 2000pt list mentioned earlier. I'm undecided on the lv2. Not sure on her own she will do much, so I'm considering putting her as a caddy and using the spare 30pts to bolster the Corsairs to 18 and run them 6x3.
Death on Wings!
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

I don't think she needs the tome of furion as she is now, in first place. 4 PDs for 4 spells? The oponent just needs to dispell the PoD-spell and he is safe. I also play a single lvl 2 in my (also Karond-Kar) army but she has a starlight cloak and a scroll. This way she can cast at least something, and even one successfully cast bladestorm or like this (most spells are useful) in the game is worth the upgrade points.
On the other side the magic defence is even a little worse than yours, which actually is a problem.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Shes got the Tome so I stand more of a chance of getting the spell I want. It will allow me a better choice during the game, though I appreciate I cant cast them all every turn.
Death on Wings!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Just to point out now I am not going to have enough money to spare in time to build the Night Goblins up to size, so smiler6310 will be battling against my Khorne Mortals which I shall build instead. You may want to give him advice to suit this game, rather than one against goblins.

For example, Khorne has no magic assault at all, but a heavy defence. So if you go magic light the chances are I shall dispell your every magic move. If you go magic heavy (which the above list is not, at all) you may have magic dominance. As the list above stands a Khorne army will completely shut down your magic phase, thus the Tome of Furion (or the sorceress herself) is pretty much hopeless. You could still take her though.

Dispel scrolls are a waste, since I will not be firing any spells at you.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

I second the vote. While 2 level 2's allow for some "decent" magic offence, especially with a sacrificial dagger, a single level 2 will most likely bounce off and needs luck to get a single spell through. A single scroll caddy would be points better spend. If you're only facing khorne, it will be useless, but in general, scroll caddy.

On a side note, I tested a list with a manticore (not your list though), and the manticore did nothing at all. This is probably due to bad target selection, and although it was a completely different list, I might say this about your 2k points with manticore instead of dragon list: it lacks heavy armour piercing. Knights (and I faced a mini death star: 5 knights of khorne with juggernaut lord and bsb with banner of the gods for terror) are almost unstoppable.

Perhaps it will work with the double chariot (I used a single chariot) and the extra flyer, but it won't be an easy list to play. I thought about adding a cauldron, but without any protection it will be a sitting duck. So the 2k list won't work without the dragon. Back to the drawing board for me trying to come up with a viable manticore list.

As for knights: I've given up on them with full command. They aren't that much better, as uber units still run over them and weak units are still wiped. So I'd like to save the (victory) points of command models (except a musician) in exchange for another unit of harpies (must get more of those!).

Finally: that dreadlord is going to pancaked against a chaos lord, unless you can finish him off on the charge (requires potion of strength).
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

@Thanatoz-Thanks for the reply shame the manti didnt work out for you. The dragon, 1 hydra 2000pt list will be going up against Kinslayers Demons army :shock: (was WoC, now DoC) in June so I'm assuming that will really test the viablity of it!

The only 2 changes to the 2000pt list im considering are losing a single scroll on the caddy for the RoH and swapping the screening corsair unit for 2 units of harpies-same screening role but with added movement but they lack in CC compared to the Corsairs.

What do you think? Viable?
Death on Wings!