2250pts-Watchtower Force

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

2250pts-Watchtower Force

Post by Smiler6310 »

I'm a huge history nerd, especially ancient Greek, Roman etc. Having recently started a book on Hadrians Wall I started to think of a Dark Elf force that could sally forth to engage the enemy from one of the Northern watchtowers.

So with that in mind here goes.

Dreadlord;
-Ring of Darkness
-Armour of Eternal Servitude
-Crimson Death
-RXB
-Cold One Chariot

Lv 2 Sorceress
-2 Dispel Scrolls

Lv 2 Sorceress
-Seal of Ghrond
-Tome of Furion

2x10 RXB
-Guardmasters
-Musicians
-Shields

5 Dark Riders
-RXB's
-Musician

25 Spearmen
-Full Command
-Warbanner

2x5 Harpies

2x5 Shades
-GW's

Cold One Chariot

6 Cold One Knights
-Standard Bearer
-Musician
-Banner of Cold Blood

2 Bolt Throwers

War Hydra

Total: 2249pts

Rough Deployment Scheme;
Ok, the Hydra would take one flank, the knights and DR take the other (Or both on one flank to stack the odds heavily in my favour). The Chariots and spears would go centrally flanked by the RXBmen (sorceress's are in here-hence the Guardmasters to receive any challenges). The RBT go onto any height, if not then away to the flanks. Harpies intially screen the fragile chariots. The shades scout if possible, if not they go to the flanks.

Plan;
As with all good plans it wont survive contact with the enemy but roughly....Harpies and shades go after War MAchines and characters where possible. The Knights, Hydra and DR try to dominate their respective flanks before swinging in towards the centre.

The Spears advance while the RXB's and Sorceress's try to thin enemy numbers. RBT go for any monsters/fast movers/fliers before concentrating on anything else. The Spears will try to bog down enemy units and win by static CR aided by the 2 COC's.

Weaknesses;
Stupidity is an obvious weakness but it is mitigated on the 2 Chariots by the high Leadership of the Dreadlord and the Cold Blood Banner on the knights.

Average magic offense and defense could be shut down and steamrolled over by stronger magic forces. VC single spells could become a big issue as well.

S7 shots/charges against the Dreadlords chariot could see him groundpounding on foot if it gets taken out. This risk is reduced by a screen of harpies and the Ring of Darkness but not entirely removed.

Gunlines......This while not that slow a force could struggle against a gunline backed in a corner. Would rely heavily on harpies, DR, shades and chillwind to minimise enemy shooting to allow the rest to close for CC.

So whats the general view? Any good? I wanted a change of pace from the usual Dreadlord on a Dragon/Manticore. This list is taking alot of simple ideas from history ie, Leader on chariot, the foot slogging spears holding the line while the chariots surge through impacting on the edges of the enemy formations. The artillery firing over the top of the spears and the cavalry trying to win the flank before wrapping around to surround the enemy.
Death on Wings!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

As a fellow military historian, I'll probably sum up my comments best as follows: your army's strengths and weaknesses are reminiscent of Hannibal's at Cannae. You have a good chance of pounding his flanks, surrounding him and crushing him. Your biggest risk is that he may punch through against your softer centre, leaving the trap incomplete and vulnerable.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Your right the big risk I forsee would be a heavy cavaly force that can engage quickly with my centre. However, I think 25 Spears with the warbanner would be able to hold its own especially with the Dreadlord being just behind them and providing a high leadership. The RXBmen having shields are also ok when engaged in HtH.

The Chariots should provide a combat punch once the enemy is engaged with the Spears and impact hits will hopefully negate any ASF. Between the Spears and Chariots I feel the centre is actually stronger than it intially appears.
Death on Wings!
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

I decided to augment the COK's hitting power by adding the Standard of Slaughter to them. Also lost a Dispel Scroll, added the Pearl of Infinate Bleakness and put that sorceress in the Spears to add to their staying power.

New list looks like this;

Dreadlord;
-Ring of Darkness
-Armour of Eternal Servitude
-Crimson Death
-RXB
-Cold One Chariot

Lv 2 Sorceress
-Dispel Scroll
-Pearl of Infinate Bleakness

Lv 2 Sorceress
-Seal of Ghrond