2250pt list need advice

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sun-tzu
Corsair

2250pt list need advice

Post by Sun-tzu »

LV4 Dagger 285 Shadow (will be with Cosairs)

COB BSB 225

Master: HA, S, Lance, Peg, CoHG, RoH 190 (Mobile Anti magic/ lone character/ warmachine hunter)

18 Xbow Musician 185 (left flank guard reserve fighting block)
18 Xbow Musician 185 (Right flank guard reserve fighting block)
19 Corsair Musician + SSS 230 (left center fighting block)

20 Black Guard Just standard (SoHG) 309 (right center fighting block)

5 Shades Ahw 85 (lone character/ warmachine hunter)

hydra 175 (left side between xbow and cosairs0
hydra 175 (right side between xbows and bg)

RBT 100 (shoot heavy cav/monsters)
RBT 100 (shoot heavy cav/monsters)

Ive only played a few times with a few friends that dont have alot of experience. Im looking for some advice on possible flaws/ strengths of this list for the more experienced on this forum.

I mostly play our hated foes (HE) so i tend not to do the big units 30+ because of dewellers. He tends to use the book of hoeth so even with matched lv4's i cant stop it most of the time since he will get irrestitable force. that also explains why my HS is naked. since nothing protects against dwellers.

so i figure more smaller sized units to the norm would make it so that he has to cast more and choose his targets wisely and i should get some things into combat.

the only thing im not sure of in this list is the RBT's. Would CoK or Chariots be better? Im trying to make the list to be able to take all comers. So I dont know how this list would do against say another DE with Hydras or something with higher toughness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Your sorc needs to be tarted up significantly if she is going into combat.

I would suggest that she go into one of the RXB units. I'm not a fan of the dagger simply because it takes a whole unit out of play.

Put her with the RXB and she can move to the other unit when she has knifed a few of the block she is in. The Corsairs can just make do with a riever, or drop a RBT to add a cheap master with a good save to the unit.

BG probably don't need ASF any more. Flaming or AP banner might be more useful.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Wow 42 views and only one reply?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the reply Rabidnid.

Yes I do agree my sorc needs tooling up but I have no points to spare. She really isnt expected to go into combat. More than likely try to bail right before a charge.

What do you mean the dagger takes a unit out of play?

I dont use the dagger to stab people left and right each magic phase more to just tip the scale with an extra power die. Weather I was just short with my casting or to make it just a tad bit harder to dispell.

I use to run her in units of RXB but now that they are in the flanks I need her leadership of 9 to keep everything else in line and close to the bsb.

ASF is for our HE brethern. That way the unit of BG can stand toe to toe with a unit of Swordmasters and hopefully win out or kill each other to the last man. Against other races the banner is mostly useless due to the new initative rules.

Do people think it would be better to make the RXB units 10 man strong and take a unit of 20 spears leadership banner for a pin cushion bunker for the dagger sorc? that would give me a few points to spare to give the sorc the pok and make the corsair 20-man
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

If you're playing mostrly against HE, then more shooting is better. Keep the RXBmen.
Good list, ready for playing (which could explain the lack of criticism).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Sun-Tzu wrote:
What do you mean the dagger takes a unit out of play?

I dont use the dagger to stab people left and right each magic phase more to just tip the scale with an extra power die. Weather I was just short with my casting or to make it just a tad bit harder to dispell.

The unit can't fight while she is in it or she will be the first to die. The Frenzy banner is going to create issues when the unit nears combat especially if it gets baited into charging early.

The easiest way to free up points is drop an RBT. Use the points for an extra 6 RXB and muso so you can split them 3x14. Put her in the centre RXB unit as a reserve and you will lose little in the way of shooting due to the extra RXB and gain in flexibility with the extra unit.

I've found RBT to be more of a threat than a damage producer. A single RBT combines well with fire lore with the plus 1 to hit, flaming and magical. It sorts out woodies with happy abandon.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Well I played tonight with a modified version of this list. I lowered the rxb units to 10 man and added 20 spearman with leadership banner as a bunker for the high sorc and shields to rxb.

Basically went up the field with my blocks did relatively well and wouldve won if it was a standard victory point mission but we were playing the blood and glory mission. He killed the unit of spearmen down to the last man with shooting and I forgot to move my sorc out so she got gunned down too. So I lost 3 fortitude in just that one unit. Which left me with my corsair, bg, and bsb flying since we were playing 2250 and it's rounded up the break point was 3 so I broke and lost. :(

Any advice to make my list be able to work better for this mission? I know I should've been more careful with my sorc but that's beside the point. Is it worth taking more banners to make it harder to loose this mission or is the trade off for vps from banners in other missions to high?

He ran:

Lv4
Lv2
Noble bsb
Prince basic fighty

20 spear fc
20 spear fc
12 archers
10 swordmasters fc
10 swordmasters fc
15+ phoenix guard fc
3 rbt

Maybe some more can't remember right now.
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

I would recommend taking a big block or two of spearman. Against t3 thy doo good damage and always make back pts cause they are so cheap. You have hatred so a lot of attacks and reroll helps so much. Also steadfast. Watch out for elleryiin reavers though. Idk how to stop them yet. Also harpies use okiams on them and charge something your opponent won even know what hit them!