1000 Dark Elf Starter List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Guiltl3ss
Slave (off the Altar)

1000 Dark Elf Starter List

Post by Guiltl3ss »

Hi everyone, I'm brand-new to Fantasy and just got my Dark Elves army book. I'm trying to stay close to the Battalion contents since I dont have a lot of capital to get started right away. This is what I have so far...

Master 1
+Heavy Armor
+Shield
+Sea Dragon Cloak
+Additional hand weapon
+Pair of Repeater handbow
+Battle Standard

Sorceres 1
+Level 2 Upgrade
+Staff of Sorcery
+Dark Magic Lore

Dark Elf Warriors 12
+Shields
+Lordling
+Musician
+Standard Bearer

Darl Elf Crossbowmen 16
+Shields
+Guardmaster
+Musician
+Standard Bearer

Black Ark Corsairs 20
+Reaver
+Musician
+Standard Bearer

Cold One Knights 5
+Dread Knight
+Musician
+Standard Bearer

An help would be appreciated. Thank you^^
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

depends how much cheesy you want your list.

supreme sorceres general
pretty nasty for 1000 points but i think this is the only way how to stick BSB and some magic in

master, BSB, halberd, armour of darknes, dawnstone
S5, decent surviveability, everything you want from your BSB :)

20 crossbowmen, FCG, shields (supreme sorceres goes here)

19 corsairs, FCG, Sea Serpent Standard (BSB goes here)

5 cold one knights

this way you need only the batalion and sorceres. BSB can be converted from corsairs flag (perhaps shortening flag for the unit to look it more like Battle standard since those two will be close) and warior with some spare parts from knights.

BUT i think this list is not very friendly (LOTS of shooting and lvl3 mage).
Last edited by Diablo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guiltl3ss
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Guiltl3ss »

Nice, sounds good.

Thanks!
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Not a bad list. You can decide to tweak it a bit by getting rid of a couple of corsairs to pay for the Sacrificial Dagger or Tome of Furion (Either would be nasty).

I'd consider actually dropping down to 14 corsairs so you could pick up the Sea Serpent Standard and Standard Bearer. You will EASILY make it up in attacks.

That way you have an outside chance of controlling Magic, Shooting AND combat. Just make sure to hit one enemy at a time with BOTH corsairs and Cold Ones if possible.
~B~
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Blaznak wrote:Not a bad list. You can decide to tweak it a bit by getting rid of a couple of corsairs to pay for the Sacrificial Dagger or Tome of Furion (Either would be nasty).

did you even try to calculate the points? "naked" lvl2 sorceres + "naked" master BSB are 240 pts. As for 1000pts format, he can spend 250 points for heros so not even his first suggestion is legal...
Guiltl3ss
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Guiltl3ss »

Diablo wrote:
Blaznak wrote:Not a bad list. You can decide to tweak it a bit by getting rid of a couple of corsairs to pay for the Sacrificial Dagger or Tome of Furion (Either would be nasty).

did you even try to calculate the points? "naked" lvl2 sorceres + "naked" master BSB are 240 pts. As for 1000pts format, he can spend 250 points for heros so not even his first suggestion is legal...

Be nice please.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

I don't want to write an army list for you, but I can give some ideas :)

You don't have much to work with, but that is good as it means you can learn to use what you have and build your army to taste after that.

You can go with a fighty Dreadlord on foot and stick him with the Corsairs with the Frenzy Banner for a solid combat unit. You can then take a level 2 sorceress with the Tome of Furion, and another item of your choice. The Seal of Ghrond is nice if you expect to face magic.

Or, you could use the proposed Supreme Sorceress and Master BSB. Diablo's BSB build is soild for 1,000 points, I use him with a Great Weapon instead and stick him in the Corsairs with the Frenzy banner.

With the 16 Crossbowmen, give them shields, a standard and musician and they are ready to go. 12 spearmen is pretty negligible, a good idea would be to give them the Banner of Discipline and put your SS general in them to give her Ld 10,

The Knights, either field them with just a musician, or with a standard with the Flame Banner as well. Dread-Knight's aren't necessary unless you need to make us points, or you want to give him something shiny.

Hope that helps :)
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Diablo wrote:

Good Diablo ~

Surely we are all friends here, at the Court. Perhaps the paymasters who detail my various armies had submitted a less than accurate calculation for this specific, as you cheerfully point out, but still, will you not grant me, that in principal, the concept is sound?

Perhaps the coin of the realm could be used then on some other trinket or bauble, such as a banner or to upgrade the Cold One Knights? My only though, nay, thought is too strong of a word.... Hmm... my only ... desire... was to suggest the possibility that so many corsairs, while effective to be sure (to be sure, indeed!), could be lessened slightly so that more flexibility in optimum hiring could be ensured.

Either way, I bow to your diplomacy in this matter.

Oh, wait. Ah! I understand the confusion. My paymaster advised you were looking at using a "Supreme Sorceress General", who's pay, as a lord apparently comes from a different funding source. As such, she may have access to a few extra coins to spend on additional items. It is true. I did not bother with details after that.

Either way, right or wrong, I'm bored with this, I'm afraid. Enjoy the conversation here at court.

I have certain... obligations... back at my tower. We are looking to entice additional Witch Elves to assist in our next foray into the North and the *ahem* ritual battles they will be performing in the arena during my negotiations are most, well, lets just say... invigorating.

Cheers

~B~
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Blaznak -> Nicely written. :) As for my first answer to you, I didnt mean it as bad as it may sound. English is not my native language so if such a sentence as i wrote is considered agresive, insulting or such, im sorry, didnt mean it that way.
As for ideas you wrote. Yeah i agree that tome or dagger are good items for your Supreme Lady. My only thought is if its not too "over the top".

As for the main topic, Sorry if i get it the wrong way and simply wrote roster to show you how it may be build instead of giving ideas and explaining why. On the contrary to MiniGrift i think that DE batalion is quite a lot to work with. Here´s why:
You have 28 wariors. Those can be done as one big block of 28 spears, 28 xbows (lets say split them in blocks of 18 and 10) or simply 10 + 18 xbows + spears depends whether you want more shooting or more cheap bodys. Or block of 20 xbows and simply saving 8 wariors for later. As for command and stuff: depends whether you play scenarios, you are planning sticking character there,...
Musician is IMHO always good, relatively cheap, allows quick reform which for xbows is much needed and sometimes can help you if CC ends in a tie.
Standard: For fighty unit always. For a unit of crossbows i would say not unless you play scenarios (Blood and glory)
Champion: for xbows IMHO only good if you are planing sticking character there so the champ can accept chalenge and protect char from punishment. In a fighty unit i would say ok.

Corsairs: Im a big fan of FCG SSS AHW corsairs. relatively cheap, relatively well protected (for DE unit) LOTS of attacks so it can deal with lots of cheap bodys like skavens or goblins. There is a posibility to make them witch handbows but you have to ask someone else about this as im corsairs-AHW-SSS guy :D . And theres a cherry on top because there is quite a simple conversion to make shades so you can have corsairs 15 man strong, as Blaznak suggested and make shades out of 5 guys.

Knights: I think that 5 vanilla knights are good. relatively cheap, heavy hitting. Musician can be usefull to allow them quick refom but IMHO they dont need it. Taking him for CC ties? I would rather take another warrior and leave CoKs as cheap as they can be. If you want to spend points here Minigrift gave you some good ideas how to spend them.
OR and thats one silly crazy idea, you can make 2 Co Chariots which will have a decent punch in such a small format using cold ones. lots of plastycard and 4 wariors. Only trouble here are wheels. On the top, this way you will have great parts to make great BSB using another wariors legs, knights body + corsair banner.

As for character choices. On 1000pts format you can get:
Dreadlord (perhaps on cold one) kitted out to be "unkillable" + BSB
Supreme sorceres + BSB
dreadlord + sorceres
It depends only whether you want "better" leadership (meaning having BSB) and/or having decent magic defense/ofense (I guess theres not much difference between lvl2 sorceres+tome of furion and lvl3 sorceres) and/or great fighty char. Personally i prefer BSB+sorceres since its a shame not using those precious power dices and i like to play it safe with the BSB Ld rerolls.