Unit / equipment combos to flesh out a 2k list?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Obsidian
Slave (off the Altar)

Unit / equipment combos to flesh out a 2k list?

Post by Obsidian »

I've recently drawn up this 2000 point list and in doing so I realised that the bigger the army gets doesn't necessarily mean the more choice you get, it seems to be a case of spreading the good stuff out a bit more. I've labeled the roles I was looking to fill and came up with imo the best units to fill them.

But are there better units / equipment combos to be had? For instance I was going to give the bsb the DS and AoD to make him nigh on un-killable, but wanted to give the combat hero some decent defense. So I had to share the gear.

Offensive caster
Lv4 Supreme Sorceress = 360
Lore of Fire, Ring of darkness, Darkstar cloak, Lifetaker, Iron curse icon

Defensive caster
lv2 Sorceress = 185
Lore of Shadow, 2x Dispel scrolls

Battle standard bearer
Master = 157
Shield, Whip of agony, Armour of darkness

Combat hero
Master = 138
Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak, Crimson death, Dawnstone

Hammer
15x Black guard = 275
Towermaster w/ Sword of might, Musician, Standard bearer w/ Banner of murder

Anvil
35x Warriors = 229
Musician, Standard bearer w/ Standard of discipline

Missile troops
16x Repeater crossbowmen = 186
Guardmaster, Musician, Shields

16x Repeater crossbowmen = 186
Guardmaster, Musician, Shields

Redirectors
5x Harpies = 55

5x Harpies = 55

Heavy hitter
War hydra = 175

Total points = 2001
Total wounds = 110
Lords 17.9%
Heroes 23.9%
Core 35.5%
Special 13.7%
Rare 8.7 %
Choombatta
Warrior

Post by Choombatta »

You cannot take 2 dispell scrolls under 8th Edition rules.
Obsidian
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Obsidian »

Dammit! With just 50 points of magical items i can't take the staff of sorcery and a dispel scroll either. She'll have to be a Lv3 caster. Which'll mean maybe one larger block of crossbowmen instead of two.
"You don't drown sorrows, you teach them to swim. It just takes a little more booze!"
Cycloptic squirrel
Corsair

Post by Cycloptic squirrel »

Keep her at lv2, add in a Guiding Eye for fun, and stick her in a unit of crossbowmen. This also has the added bonus of being in a different unit than your lv4 so you could 'smoke and mirror' her out in a pinch - you'd still lose your lv2, but that's usually preferable to your lv4.
A pure combat character without a specialized role (BSB, redirector, dark pegasus rider) is rarely worth it - I'd drop him entirely, get the black guard numbers up to 20 and maybe add in a unit of shades.

But even roster as originally posted is a pretty good starter list (once you correct the double scroll), the big thing is to go out and try it. We can give you all the advice in the world and it won't make as big of an impact as getting a few games under your belt.
Choombatta
Warrior

Post by Choombatta »

I agree with squirrel about the Guiding Eye. It is fantastic in a large block of crossbowmen. Just remember to use it on squishy ( low armor ) units. Using it on high armor save units is a waste, as I learned much to my chagrin in my current game.

Also, as someone pointed out to me, and has worked wonderfully in my army, using Black guard as a unit of 20 with a character allows you to field them 7x3.
Since they are stubborn already, you do not need steadfast, and this will also give you a ton of attacks that can always re-roll hits.
Obsidian
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Obsidian »

Thanks for the advise guys!
"You don't drown sorrows, you teach them to swim. It just takes a little more booze!"
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

if you had the points you COULD take a feedback scroll or a frog scroll.
Oderint dum Metuant.