2000pt Campaign army list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Honourshield
Slave on the Altar

2000pt Campaign army list

Post by Honourshield »

Hey I'm new here :)

I come seeking some advice. A gaming group at my local Games Workshop is soon to start a campaign (it uses rules similar to the blood in the badlands i believe), and 3 army lists are required to take part.

I'm having trouble with one in particular. I'm trying to make it themed around this idea of the Dreadlord and his dreaded Cold One Knight riders. However, I'm having trouble fitting everything I want into a 2000 pt list.
here is my list as it stands

Lords
Dreadlord. Cold One, Lance, sea dragon cloak, shield, 3 Null Talismans, Armour of Eternal Servitude.
265 pts

Heroes
Master. Cold One, Lance, sea dragon cloak, heavy armour, shield. Battle standard, Hydra Banner.
214 pts

Death Hag. Cauldron Of Blood
200 pts

total 414 pts

Core
40 Corsairs. full command
425 points

10 Crossbowmen
100 pts

5 Harpies
55 points

Total 580 points

Special
14 Cold One Knights. Full Command, Standard of Hag Greaf, Ring of Hotek
478 pts

Rare
2 War Hydra's
350 points

Army Total 2087 pts

I'm having real trouble trying to find things to drop whilst keeping within the limitations of list building, particularly with 25% minimum on Core. I feel that If I drop too much then it becomes too easy to just focus everything on my riders.

My Chin has been scratched to death over this XD so any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated :)
The world... it belongs to the Druchii! We have only to seize it.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The only way you can do this is make the knights smaller, remove one Hydra and get something cheaper instead (more Harpies, a Chariot, or Shades), or remove the Master BSB and hand the BSB over to the Death Hag.

You could also think about replacing the 3x Null Talisman with Seal of Ghrond.

Null Talismans only help against damage, and the COK have good armour save already. The Seal of Ghrond helps against any magic, and the really nasty stuff does not do damage.

Bye
Thanee
Daredevil26
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Daredevil26 »

Is your goal to have your knights to do most of the killing?

If so I would definitely give the death hag the BSB and then replace the master with a sorceress on a cold one with the ToF and black dragon egg for combat.

Then give here a lore to severely weaken the enemy before combat, i suggest shadow.
Honourshield
Slave on the Altar

Post by Honourshield »

Yea, I would like that unit to do most of the leg work.
My idea was to combine the benefits of the hydra banner and the +1 attack from the cauldron to make it a monster on the charge.
In my test rolls I was killing 30-35 bestigors (well, any toughness 4, 4+ armour save or worse equivalents) on the charge.

however I'm trying to present other threats as well so that the knights don't recieve 100% of the enemies attention. gonna be kinda difficult though anyway i expect with such a loadout :/
Dakeyras
Warrior

Post by Dakeyras »

What he said. The list badly needs a little magic, and shadow would help the corsairs do....something. I have honestly found that corairs without the timely support of some solid shadow magic really struggle. Granted you could give them killing blow from the cauldron, but then you really want the cauldron giving the knights the +1 attack, for a beautiful 3 attacks per model on the charge.
The problem with putting a sorceress on a cold one is, where do you put the witch? putting her in the cold one unit would dilute their combat ability, and put her in danger.
Have considered putting her in a unit of dark riders? She is a little vulnerable, but if the enemy are shooting at her and not the knights/hydras, then you have probably already won :)
Death is a good lore to consider in a highly mobile list, as your dark steed will negate the short range of death...purple sun in the flank anyone?
Daredevil26
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Daredevil26 »

Well another thing you could do with the magic is instead put her in the corsair unit with a sac dag instead of the ToF and still the black drag egg for when they hit combat
also the knights probably won't be taking the hits if you are slightly aggressive with your hydras because in my experience of playing the hydras scare a lot more than the knights
same with a huge block of corsairs
Honourshield
Slave on the Altar

Post by Honourshield »

I don't have dark riders :/ Not sure how i could go about getting some as im not fond of buying them individually as metal figures >.<

Also to fit in a sorceress, I'm gonna either have to drop the bsb or the cauldron.
or drop the lord and have a supreme sorceress.

which do you think should be dropped?

cheers for the help so far guys :)
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

Honourshield wrote:I don't have dark riders :/ Not sure how i could go about getting some as im not fond of buying them individually as metal figures >.<

You can buy a box of glade riders that are cheaper , have similar steeds so you just have to paint them in druchii style instead of wood elf and you'll be ok instead of their bows you'll use the rxb from warrior box as a conversion there are some pics of glade riders converted to dark riders in the painting section.
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...
Sisstros
Dark Rider

Post by Sisstros »

As people have said above, corsairs tend to bounce off things if the do not have magic support.

You could alternatively get a unit of 50 Spearmen with full command for only 365 points and they will do a great deal more for you.

They won't kill much but they can stand in front of almost anything and be steadfast for a good long time.

Best of luck.
вы претендуете оплатить, мы претендуем работать
Dakeyras
Warrior

Post by Dakeyras »

Just shift the bsb over to the cauldron, it makes for such a good bsb, and with the points you save there you can spam in the sorc. I usually run my level 2 with scroll and the guiding eye, but as you are using corsairs you could just keep her cheap. Or run with T/O/F and life taker for the extra spell, and be damned with scroll.
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

Your list concept is good but you need more support units in order to be able to land that Knight train on your target of choice else your opponent either through magic or fast cav/flyers will try to hamper your knights. So support and antisupport are required.

Both a CoB and a BSB of equal cost on a 2K list however I have to admit are a lot of points but if executed well that Knight train has potential.

I could suggest something along these lines:

Sorc : lvl 4, dagger,4+ ward, Ring of ruin
Master: BSB hydra banner full mundane, CO
Hag: CoB

5 harpies
5 harpies
22 rxb :FC,shields
30 spear: FC,shield,warbanner(or banner of murder matter of preference)

14 CoK: FC, +1 leadership banner, potion of foolhariness
1 Hydra

2000 points exactly

Now what you obviously lose is 1 hydra and the dreadlord while you gain a 4th lvl spellcaster and 1 more unit of harpies and 12 more rxb.

Since your focus will be the Knight unit I believe it's better to include more support troops for them in order to take care of the enemy support who'll try to hamper your Knights in meanigless combat.

Or instead of a 22 rxb unit you can slice it in 2x10 1 unit on each of your armies flank and with the extra points get 1 more item. Otherwise for the same ammount of points you can buy 12 rxb with mus+shield and 5 DR with mus + rxb so that you get even more support/redirect units to help your Knights and at the same time you fill your core.

I believe you need magic instead of the Drealord in this list, your knight unit with BSB+CoB has already enough potential so you need those extra points elsewere.

One mor ething to consider is you could drop 5 Knights on your 3rd rank and get some shades in there or a chariot or 2 hydra like your main plan those extra knights on the 3rd rank are too costly for extra bodies in my opinion.

EDIT
After a lot of consideration I believe overall only your front rank will realy benefit from the +2 combined attacks your 2nd rank merely helps they can only perform 1 attack and only the riders not the mounts and your 3rd rank doesn;t do anything. I am not very confident this unit is cost effectie so I'd either drop it to a 1 rank 6-7 man unit with BSB but then it will be too fragile for it's purpose or I would just quit the idea of this unit entirely since the risk and cost don't justify it and would go for a totaly different approach for example:

Sorc : lvl 4, dagger,4+ ward
Hag: BSB,CoB

5 harpies
5 harpies
5 shades xhw
5 shades xhw
20 rxb sh,mus
34 warriros FC, sh, warbanner

20 BG FC, banner of murder
1 Hydra
1 Hydra

1998 pts

That gives you enough punch and sustainability combined, the points are spread out through your army evenly therefore not risk of "all eggs on same basket" and you've got enough support troops to counter enemy support or redirect and mess up his battleline.

If you are not a big fan of magic you could go like this:

Sorc : lvl 2, guiding eye, dispel scroll

5 harpies
5 harpies
5 harpies
5 shades xhw
5 shades xhw

20 rxb sh, std, mus
30 corsairs FC, SSS

20 BG FC, banner of murder
1 Hydra
1 Hydra

2000 pts

You could toy arround by droping 5 harpies and giving the BG champ Crimson death and using the remaining points elsewere...

Or you could have a hunter lord for example:

Dreadlor: Dark Peg,pot of foolhardiness, Cloak of Hag graef, Dawn stone, Ha, sh, la(can give him crown of command instead it depends if tournament allows it)
Sorc : lvl 2, guiding eye, dispel scroll

5 harpies
5 harpies

20 rxb sh, std, mus
30 corsairs FC, SSS

15 BG FC, banner of murder, Crimson Death
1 Hydra
1 Hydra

1995 pts
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...