2000 - Tournament Shadestar

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

2000 - Tournament Shadestar

Post by Omnichron »

The day had come!

I would not only test a shadestar, but use it at a tournament!

From my playtests at 2400 pts with ETC comp, I knew that such a star unit could work pretty well, although now it was 400 less pts. and much more difficult to figure out what I would go for. When I finally figured outa list, I just got to test it once before the tournament started, so I wasn't overly confident about how the list would perform.

What I fielded was this:

Supreme Sorceress - 330 pts.
- Level 4, Lore of Death
- 3 x Null Talismans
- Dispel Scroll

Master - 162 pts.
- Battle Standard Bearer with Banner of Hag Graef
- Great Sword
- Repeater Crossbow
- Heavy Armor
- Sea Dragon Cloak

Death Hag - 200 pts.
- Cauldron of Blood

40 x Spear Elves - 259 pts.
- Standard Bearer & Musician
- Banner of Eternal Flame

40 x Spear Elves - 249 pts.
- Standard Bearer & Musician

19 x Shades - 342 pts.
- Great Weapons

Chariot - 100 pts.

Assassin - 151
- Additional Hand Weapon
- Rending Stars
- Manbane

Assassin - 151
- Additional Hand Weapon
- Rending Stars
- Manbane

5 x Harpies - 55 pts.

Total: 1999

I'll write up a battlereport soon(ish), which will tell you more detailed about how it went, but I can tell you now that I won 4 out of 5 battles. The battle I lost was a total massacre of my army, but it was not because of bad strategy or bad composition, just sheer bad luck.

What I can say about this list however, is that I feel 2000 pts is close to the bare minimum for using a shadestar. I feel like you already lack some magic items that would help you out immensly (crown of command and ring of darkness in particular). However, I feel like the list performed really well, and my opponents struggled with it. I wouldn't have any problem with going with such a list into a tournament again as it was fun to play with (although not that fun to play against I'd reckon).

The only possible changes I'd do, would be to remove the chariot and fit one of those magic items on a new master and put it into the shadestar. Crown of command because you might end up loosing close combats against knights or the ring of darkness because you could get shot to pieces by small poison skirmish units.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10