Two 2500pts lists - The Dark Carnival, and Morathi's Host

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Two 2500pts lists - The Dark Carnival, and Morathi's Host

Post by Haagrum »

I've been tossing around a few ideas for thematic lists at 2500 points which can be scaled up or down (to 2800-3000 or 2000-2400) reasonably easily, and I came up with the following. I'm trying to keep a few core units the same, so as to cut down on painting time (since I'm a bit strapped for time trying to do that and look after a one-year old).

Thoughts, criticisms and suggestions welcome.

-----

#1: The Dark Carnival

Supreme Sorceress (level 4, Shadow) with Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Screaming Blade
27 Black Ark Corsairs with full command, additional hand weapons, Standard of Discipline

2 units of 6 Dark Riders, each with musician, repeater crossbows

Death Hag with battle standard, Cry of War, Ogre Blade
20 Witch Elves with full command, Banner of Eternal Flame

10 Doomfire Warlocks

12 Sisters of Slaughter with full command, Gleaming Pennant

6 Shades with additional hand weapons

2 Reaper bolt throwers

War Hydra with Fiery Breath

Kharibdyss

Khainite Assassin with two hand weapons, Potion of Strength, Dark Venom

-----

Fluff-wise, this is building on an earlier idea I had after playing too much Mordheim. Everything in the list is reasonably fast, with little armour, and would be able to move relatively quickly between battles. Much like the Carnival of Chaos in the Mordheim fluff, the army masquerades as a travelling sideshow (with the Corsairs as "roadies", the Witch Elves as hosts, and the Supreme Sorceress as the final act of the show). Before the End Times, the Carnival ranged ahead of the raiding fleets to mark targets and pick off poorly-defended locations too far inland for the main Druchii forces to strike. In the End Times, with access to the seas from Athel Loren somewhat reduced, the Carnival descends on towns (or lures in Marauders/Beastmen herds) by appearing to be a bunch of troubadours.

The Dark Riders and Shades locate suitable targets, and work with the illusionist Sorceress to bait Chaos forces into ill-disciplined attacks against a readied line of battle. In towns, the Corsairs and Witch Elves prepare the performance area and lull the crowd/victims into a false sense of security. The Assassin is the Carnival's "insurance policy", to ensure that no-one "breaks character" early. On separate stages, the Sisters "battle" against the Kharibdyss, while the Doomfire Warlocks ride through volleys of Reaper fire and Hydra breath without injury. As the Supreme Sorceress weaves her beguiling enchantments to the wonder of the assembled audience, the Warlocks invoke their magics to dampen any potential resistance. The Shades position themselves near potential sources of resistance, as does the Assassin. At a final signal, all hell breaks loose as the show ends and the Carnival's true work begins. Surprised and weakened, the Carnival's victims seldom have time to fight back, and more "entertainments" are brought back to the darker corners of Naggaroth/Athel Loren.

-----

#2: Morathi's Host

Morathi, the Hag Sorceress

Master with battle standard, hand weapon, heavy armour, shield, Sea Dragon cloak, Cloak of Twilight
27 Corsairs with full command, additional hand weapons, brace of handbows (Reaver only), Standard of Discipline

2 units of 6 Dark Riders, each with musician, repeater crossbows

5 Doomfire Warlocks

Sorceress (level 2, Heavens) with Dark Steed, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon
9 Cold One Knights with full command, Gleaming Pennant

Death Hag with two hand weapons, Witchbrew
20 Executioners with full command

3 Reaper bolt throwers

Kharibdyss

-----

Fluff-wise, this one's pretty simple. Morathi wants stuff, so Morathi gets stuff by bewitching people to fight for her. The Heavens sorceress is there as Morathi's battle-scryer, and the rest of the army is fairly standard fare for a Ghrond force. It stands to reason that Morathi needs a ship to get to wherever she's plundering, so the Corsairs fit that niche.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Re: Two 2500pts lists - The Dark Carnival, and Morathi's Hos

Post by flatworldsedge »

Love the fluff on the Dark Carnival especially. My only note there would be how much fun a medusa/shrine could be within that as the "final act"... The curtain raising to reveal her horrific stare, villagers bleeding from the eyes, running to the exits into the nets/cages the Shades have subtly deployed under cover of applause/circus tent brass band. Not sure whether having a medusa would be any fun outside of the fluff, however... They seem a divisive unit, and I haven't ever tabled one!
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Two 2500pts lists - The Dark Carnival, and Morathi's Hos

Post by Haagrum »

flatworldsedge wrote:Love the fluff on the Dark Carnival especially. My only note there would be how much fun a medusa/shrine could be within that as the "final act"... The curtain raising to reveal her horrific stare, villagers bleeding from the eyes, running to the exits into the nets/cages the Shades have subtly deployed under cover of applause/circus tent brass band. Not sure whether having a medusa would be any fun outside of the fluff, however... They seem a divisive unit, and I haven't ever tabled one!

Good call, flatworldsedge.

I'm guessing I could drop the Kharibdyss, the Gleaming Pennant and the Handmaiden of Shards for a Bloodwrack Shrine... and it would be one heck of a show-stopper. It would go equally well with the Sisters or the Corsairs, particularly if the Standard of Discipline was replaced with the Banner of Swiftness on the Corsairs. Thanks for the suggestion!
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."