2400 VS WoC

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Venomblades
Shade

2400 VS WoC

Post by Venomblades »

Hey guys, got my next match against WoC. Have no idea what he's bringing but i think he favours Nurgle.

Got a list which i think packs some punch, although no CoB for my witches. Here it is:

LORDS

Dreadlord
+Pegasus
+Armour of Destiny
+Ogre Blade

Supreme Sorceress
+lvl 4 (Shadow)
+Dark steed
+ToP
+Scroll

HEROES

Master BSB (in executioners)
+Full mundane armour
+Enchanted Shield
+Dawnstone
+Sword of Might

CORE

5 Dark Rider
+shields
+musician
+RxB's

5 Dark Rider
+shields
+musician
+RxB's

31 Witch Elves
+FC
+Swiftness banner

SPECIAL

28 Executioners
+FC
+Flaming banner (Open to other banner advice)

Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower

Cold one Chariot

Cold one Chariot

RARE

5 Doomfire Warlocks

Kharibdyss

So, got some heavy lifters, exe's and K-beast. Executioners in horde formation.

Witches to take on marauders as he's always seen with these units. Ranking them up, how wide? Im thinking 7x5?

Bolties and Chariots in support.

As for my lore, although it's most useful against WoC, is pit of shades worth using against them or are they good I ?

Other than that guys, any suggestions here?

Thanks for your time.
toots
Beastmaster

Re: 2400 VS WoC

Post by toots »

I'd recommend the cloak of twilight and death magic for your sorc. Their sorcerers only have LD 8 so the death sig spell would work well against them. Also the obsidian lodestone someone said!!
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

You could give razor standard to witches and give the banner of swiftness to the execs. You have lore of shadow so maybe the razor standard is of less use here. I´d also invest in a dragonbane gem for the lord and another bolter if you have one.

Pit of shades should be great vs any trolls of hellcannons he might have :) Pretty sweet list you have there!
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm somewhat scared of taking death as it never has worked out for me. Although it's amazing, I've just had bad luck.

Shadow I always feel safe with for the possible mindrazor, but the suggestion with razor banner could also add some punch. To fit it in all I have to do is drop 4 witches, then swiftness on exe's.

For the SS she is actually in one of the fast cav units. Thinking warlocks at the moment but last time I played him he tried to destroy them straight away. I'm guessing the CoT suggestion was for her survivability if rolling solo?

I only have 2 bolt thrower models also, but I really want to field the k-beast and see how it fairs. No doubt that will b a hell cannon soak, but at least my other units can get into combat.

How do you think this list could do?
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

The list looks pretty good and I'd guess it'll do well. One big advantage you have is that warriors of chaos don't have shooting and usually only have a very limited number of units. Except for Chimeras, a daemon prince, or the disk BSB, it's gonna be nearly impossible for him to ever catch your fast cav as long as your play it smart.

My first reaction was that maybe you should split your witches into two units so that you don't have all of your eggs in one basket, but because he doesn't have any shooting, they're not as vulnerable as they usually are. They'll just be prime targets for magic if he has any sort of damage template.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Do you own any Sisters of Slaughter ?
Last battle against WoC (all with Nurgle marks) 10 siters killed half his army (22 warrios, exalted, sorceres, chariot, 6 knights). They were supported by a bloodwrack shrine, but even without it they will be more effective than your executioners and witches combined.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Hey guys, a big thanks for your replies. I try and immerse myself and strive for druchii knowledge. I am always writing lists just for fun, unfortunately not all of them work haha. Still getting used to unit synergies etc.

As for sister;s, i currently own zilch. Last time i played WoC (nurgle), turns 1 and 2 i completely dominated then it fell apart, but in my defence i put that down to playing 2400 on a 4X4 table. I failed a LD roll on a DR unit and then it spread throughout the army......bad times. But, last time i brought DS and DR's in core and took BG and exe's in special with CoC's and bolties.

Trying witches as he brings marauders all the time. They now have the razor standard which should add some punch.

Also trying the dreadlord against them. With my DL build, how would he fair against a hellcannon in 1v1? I know for a fact he will bring 1 hellcannon.
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

Top WoC armies usually rely on lots of fast flying stuff with good armour. E.g. Lord on disc + 2 chimeras and lots of chariots.
Against those kind of armies our infantry based lists dont do too well and I suggest more characters on pegasus.

However if your opponent likes the more traditional infantry lists - whoch are still pretty strong - your list should do well.

Just some minor suggestions:
- drop the flaming banner as most deamon princes will have the 2++... Unless you think that your opponent will use lots of trolls
- get the razor banner for wittches to make them more competitive with warriors
- you could drop some witches to free up some points
- the K-Beast has aleays been an underperformer to me. I think those poimts are better invested in another character on pegasus.
- get the bsb out of trouble. He'll die in most grinds against chaos if too long in cc. Pit him on a peggy with a similar equipment or the infamous Cloak of twilight

Edit: your DL will do fine in combat against a hellcannon. It won't thunderstomp and S5 is not such a big threat. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the hellcannon only has WS3, thus he'll hit you on 5s.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Good points with Falstaff. Also, you might want to put OTS for your DL. WoC has lots of nasty ward saves and tough units. You might combo Ogre Blade, ToP and OTS for him. I dont think that your SS need ward save. She should never be in combat. I usually play her with RoH to protect her and units from deadly WoC magic. Also threatening their expensive lvl4 caster with miscasts is invaluable. Lore of Death is good againstWoC since they have lots of characters and high S/T units. Some units habe low I and they hit hard, so you habe to kill them fast. Shadow and Beasts are good choices too.

I would drop the size of your witch block. They slaughter marauders and hurt trolls of they were flaming. Other units just squash them no matter if they have AP banner. You could either split them into smaller dart units, or use mid-sized unit with either AP or flaming banner. I would advice two darts, maybe one with flame banner.

If you take execs, take lots of them. They are good generalists against WoC but they die easily. Move banner, or +1/re-roll Ld banner are best choices. And yeah, put BSB on a peg. He can bunker in units anyway if you wish. Armour of Destiny or CoT with Lance allow him to go solo or support infantry.

Oh, and RBT might be better than chariots against WoC. Daemon princes fear them, you can kill chimeras and chariots with them, dictate his movement and dwployment. Turning 1-2 of them frees up some points too. Maybe you should keep one chariot for supporting infantry and long range threat for his fast units. Beware his fliers though, they wreck chariots on charge.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have made some changes recommended. My BSB is now on Pegasus with CoT and lance.

Left over points have gone into executioners.

My dreadlord has also potion of foolhardiness and dragonbane gem. Nice little saves on him.

As I don't have 2 more bolt throwers, I will seek to get 2 more and when up I will drop a chariot.

As for my witches, I'm thinking of staying how they r as his hellcannon will most likely want to focus them, which creates a safeguard for my peg riders if you know what I mean?