Black Guard and Executioners best support?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Black Guard and Executioners best support?

Post by Daeron »

Red.. Considering you have core points to spare, have you ever considered taking a smaller Spear unit, and putting a BWS in there? It would permit the Sorceress to work from the second rank which can be useful for some scenarios. Why would you, or would you not take the BWS instead?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

jeffman wrote:I must say i am also tend to lean more towards killerk's list, i'm not so fond of the spearman block and i don't own chariots so i have no experience with them. I do however like the witchhorde to deal with hordes. I'm not convinced about the effectivity of killerk's list to deal with that.

For instance a lizardman list with 2 skink skirmish units, 2 saurus blocks, 1 templeguard block with slann and some monsters. I can see you struggle with that. his chaf can shoot yours, and with your low body count every kill counts, his magic rivals yours. And if he keeps his lines in check u will have a dificulty with devide and conquer. U cant chaff up all the monsters and block to prevent countercharges when u multi charge one of his blocks, also stubborn templeguard, end his chaff screwing up your movement.

I would rather face a list like that, then to face a swarm of skink skirmishers. Saurus are slow, and skinks have a potential shooting range of 18" (6" m +12" range) your potential range is 42" (18" m + 24" range), also you have a have cav hammer with an average charge rang of 18" and a pegasus with an average charge range of 19". while his blocks have an average charge rang of 11" (4"m +7" average roll)

here is a link to an article how to use that to your advantage
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71733

With a list like mine the priority is to take out enemy support units, once this is done your opponent is generally powerless to stop you.
One of the main advantages you will have is decision over where and what you fight. Sacrificing some of DR to get nice and juicy flank charges is much more advantageous then to hit a horde head on. From the Flank he looses 50% of his attacks (no support attacks), and he has around 75% less models in contact. So 80% of your combat power is fighting his 15%. Any Druchii general would like those odds ;).

and here is an article how to use your fast cav to get that advantage
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71009

Remember predatory fighter rule has a draw back, if a shink hero is not present they have to pursuit, use that to your advantage, sacrificing a 110 point unit to kill a hoard.

jeffman wrote:this of course could be my inexperience talking, so eventhough i lean towards killerk's list, how would you deal with that kind of lists. Orks and goblins can also do such lists with cheap horde n shootinh. Especially with fanatics coning out of units. If they hit, with your bodubody count every hit counts.

That is what shades and harpies are for. Land 75 points worth of harpies between units containing fanatcis, and you no longer have to worry about them. If a few are in the way, and you don't want to waist your shooting on them, if they are deployed get a unit of DR in there and reform in to a congo line in such a way it lands on as many fanatics as possible. Sure your DR will die, but so will the fanatics. then race rest of your DR in to his machine park. In my gaming group fanatics are almost extinct, because of this.

jeffman wrote:And one last question, i dont understand the odd unit sizes of the darkriders.

This is not criticisme, i just want to understand and learn

Criticism is always welcome, as long as it is constructive, so no need to apologize. its better to sacrifice a cheaper unit, then a expensive one. Also I think I had some points left and instead of adding another unit of DR I increased the unit sizes, so the sorc has some bodies to use for look out sir. The unit sizes would need to be tweaked, after a few practice games.
Also I play most tournaments where killing 75% of the unit grants you 50% of its victory points. With this in mind 7 is a good number, as you need to kill 6 to get 50% of the points. So its just list optimization.
Also known as Kanadian
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Daeron wrote:Red.. Considering you have core points to spare, have you ever considered taking a smaller Spear unit, and putting a BWS in there? It would permit the Sorceress to work from the second rank which can be useful for some scenarios. Why would you, or would you not take the BWS instead?

It's an excellent suggestion. I will give it some definite thought :) I have to confess that I've been less experimental with some of the new book units than I might have been - I had a tried and true formula before the new book, and have to a large extent tried to replicate that with the new book dynamics (I miss having a unit of 50+ spears, but sadly the days of 6 point models are no more... :(). Adding a BWS could be a nice enhancement, but it'll take a bit of juggling around. I'll get my thinking cap on :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman