DE 2000 point One night x 5 Games

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Venomblades
Shade

DE 2000 point One night x 5 Games

Post by Venomblades »

Hey guys, as im still waiting for my 2400 point to take place in a tounrey (A recent post earlier on the armyu list page) I'm keeping busy with various games. I have a 2000 point games night tuesday and playing 5 matches in one night. I should be going up against Chaos, High elves, Deamons and a few other armies.

Heres my 2000 point list and looking for some C&C! Be brutal please, i can take it ;) ;)

Supreme Sorceress
+Lvl 4
+Scroll
+Cloak of twilight
+Dark Pegasus
Lore of Death

Master BSB
+Full mundane armour
+Enchanted shield
+Dawnstone
+Sword of Might

CORE

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

10 Darkshards
+Musician
+Shields

10 Darkshards
+Musician
+Shields

SPECIAL

30 Executioners (3 Ranks of 10)
+FC
+Swiftness banner

Cold One Chariot

Cold One Chariot

5 Shades
+Great Weapons

Repeater bolt thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

RARE

5 Doomfire Warlocks.

So, my plan is using my Dark Riders and Dark Shards for Chaff clearance. Also my doomfires fall into that job aswell as war machine hunting.
Shades are to also hunt war machines and/or chaff. Im thinking that should all go well, i could always use my Darkshards and cheap units to taunt other cheap units and draw them away from my executoners as there would be less units to worry about.

My horde of exe's will be the main target for my enemy no doubt, be it magic or shooting phase, but i want to funnel units towards them using my Cold One Chariots and fast cav. Master BSB in with the Exe's.
Sorceress on dark peg with lore of death to have pure mobility and snipe enemy characters and Purple sun whenever she can......Hopefully. Lets hope my spell choice rolls goes as planned hahaha.

Any advice guys?
Ajattaro
Executioner

Re: DE 2000 point One night x 5 Games

Post by Ajattaro »

Having only one block with quite evasive army around is not strongest of builds, since it lacks efficiency in doing something well. And that is what elves need in my opinion. You might want to put your darkshards into one unit, to have more solid battle line. Blocks can support each other well, when another can take charge and another flanks. Also chariots are beast with rank bonuses. If you have soft army supporting one expensive block, enemy will tear through your army eventually and aim for the points. You need lots of chaffing to prevent that with strong melee armies.

But otherwise, solid list if you know how to play one. You are bound to play somewhat defesively, and thats why you could reconsider your lore choice with your SS. You cant fly her solo near your enemies if you have nothing strong supporting her. Flying PSun is always good, but maybe little out of place in this list. I suggest you give Heavens a try. Has long ranges, high strength, shooting/melee buff and debuff, cheap casting costs... And comet. Its great lore for shooting defensive list. Metal can be a choice too, but not necessary one. Shadow too.

Also, I would not use GW on small shades. Ahws are more reliable, and small are not going to fight enemies that you need S5 against them anyway...

Last thing, have fun with your list. You got really balanced list with good choices. This should do well against all comers with good generalship :)
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

I know what you mean about 1 deadly block and the rest of my army being not as great. I have reshuffled my darkshards into 1 unit of 20 as you suggested. Dropped the Great Weapons from my Shades for AhW's also.

What other units could work for this list? And judging from the feedback perhaps a SS on a Peg isn't the best of ideas?
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Flying death mage is always devastating, but problem here is that she is alone. Death lore is much much more devastating when you get within 12" of your target. Longer range means lot less spells and more spells being dispelled. You have good amount of fast cavalry, which can handle softer targets, and help by diverting. But you cant always focus helping your SS as she cant handle herself. Also you have no means of threatening fast and hitty enemies, so going around them can be hard. But it should work as you can use longer ranges whenever you need. You got warlocks too.

You could run her on dark steed and hide in other cavalry if you would like. You save some points, but 5 strong units arent really safe plaves to hide against shooting. And she would be less mobile and ties one fast cavalry unit for baby sitting. Of course you can hang out in infntry blocks if no cannons are present.

Even though Death super good against annoying characters and rolling lots of low I enemies in one go, other lores might have better synergy with your own list. Heavens has its uses as I said, but double soul blights are nice for shooting too. I cant really say what lore to take as there is so many options :D. You should try what suits you best, and death will one of the strongest choices. Just remember that Cloak wont protect you against miscasts!

Oh yes, one more thing. Can you fit flame banner on your darkshards? Flaming DS coupled with RBT spell doom for regenerating gribblies. In tournament you surely face chimerae, anominations, trolls and what not.

Good luck with your list!
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Really sound advice. Final question. Would it be better to have a different unit in my army rather than the darkshards? Say either Witches or Corsairs as a mini threat for the opponent to worry about. Could synergise well with the chariots.

What do you think?
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Ok, so i have made the changes to my list!

Supreme Sorceress
+Lvl 4
+Scroll
+Cloak of twilight
+Dark Pegasus
Lore of Death

Master BSB
+Full mundane armour
+Enchanted shield
+Dawnstone
+Sword of Might

CORE

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

22 Witch Elves
+Full Command
+Banner of Eternal Flame

SPECIAL

+FC
+Swiftness banner

Cold One Chariot

Cold One Chariot

5 Shades
+AHW's

Repeater bolt thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

RARE

5 Doomfire Warlocks.

I think with the Witches in it really adds pressure to my opponent in which units to target before i engage in CC. If my witches engage, prime oppertunity for my chariots to assist. Either way, the witches, exe's or Cold one Chariots will be focused but i cant see myself taking drastic losses before i reach combat. SS is still on the dark Peg and i will keep her behind my lines. Bolties and DR's to tackle chaff.

Shades now have additional hand weapons also.

I feel pretty confident with this list as it's quite Combat ready and thats how i like basing my lists.

Also, with my SS i'm either thinking Life/Beasts/Metal. I'm leaning more towards life at the moment.

Suggestions?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I have a 2000 point games night tuesday and playing 5 matches in one night.

Either your play speed makes supersonic jets look slow, you have discovered a magic time portal that allows you to step outside of the dynamics of normal time flow so that one night can stretch for days, or else you are not going to get through five 2k games in a single night-time sitting.

As to your actual list - my comments are in CAPS (I'm not just yelling, it is just quicker to do it that way than do all the formatting for colours etc):

Supreme Sorceress
+Lvl 4
+Scroll
+Cloak of twilight
+Dark Pegasus
Lore of Death

DECENT BUILD - SHE CAN FLY AROUND BLASTING ENEMIES WITH DEATH SPELLS WHILE STAYING FAIRLY IMMUNE FROM ENEMY ATTACKS.

Master BSB
+Full mundane armour
+Enchanted shield
+Dawnstone
+Sword of Might

THIS LOOKS LIKE A REASONABLE BUILD: DURABLE AND REASONABLY HARD HITTING. WATCH OUT FOR ATTACKS THAT IGNORE ARMOUR (OR ARE SO HIGH STRENGTH THAT THEY ESSENTIALLY IGNORE ARMOUR) AS THEY WILL CLEAVE THROUGH HIM LIKE BUTTER.

CORE

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

GOOD

5 Dark riders
+Musician
+RxB's
+Shields

GOOD

22 Witch Elves
+Full Command
+Banner of Eternal Flame

REASONABLE. A CAULDRON WOULD MAKE THESE GIRLS TRULY NASTY - BUT AT 2K IT CAN BE A SQUEEZE TO FIT ONE IN.

SPECIAL

+FC
+Swiftness banner

A GOOD BUILD TOO. IS THE BANNER OF SWIFTNESS REALLY THE BEST CHOICE HERE?

Cold One Chariot

NICE

Cold One Chariot

ALSO NICE

5 Shades
+AHW's

USEFUL WARMACHINE KILLING

Repeater bolt thrower

FINE

Repeater Bolt Thrower

FINE

RARE

5 Doomfire Warlocks.

FINE

Hmm. I expected to have major revisions to make to your list, but actually - in all honesty - it looks pretty good. The only risk you have is that two hard hitting melee units (witches and execs) can take up a lot of table space, so you may struggle to manoeuvre them as effectively as you want. You could run the witches in three ranks to help with that problem (in fact, that may be what you had in mind anyway). Death is a decent lore and you have your SS set up to use it correctly. just make sure that the pegasus stays out of enemy charge arcs, as if she does get into combat she's pretty much insta-gibbed. You should be aware that you lack an anvil, so be wary of getting any of your units bogged down in attrition combat: only engage if you can win very quickly. Huge units of 100+ goblins or similar should be avoided - use your fast cavalry and other mechanisms to keep them busy, until you can get them small enough to annihilate with your witches.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Heybuddy, thanks for the reply.

The thought process was to get another combat block in there instead of darkshards. Although i love darkshards, Witches suited the list better as it now helps me pin a lot more down. Yes, the CoB would be brilliant, but like you said its just too many points for my liking at 2K.

Master is going in with the executioners. I gave the exe's the swiftness banner as i was planning on moving as swiftly along with the chariots, but now i have my witches i was thinking about giving that banner to them and swapping flame banner for the executioners. Good move?

As for my SS, she will strictly b behind my units trying to snipe where she can. Purple sun would be nice at times. As far as the lore goes, is Death actually ideal with this list? The only destructive 'on mass' spell is Purple sun and thats not always a garauntee. Suggestions there?

Thanks for the help mate.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I am not so sure if replacing witches for darkshards is a good idea. Yes you have another killy combat block, but your 22 witch elves will die like flies against the high elves for example, maybe divide them in two units if you are set on them.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Ok, so it was not 5 games, it was a huge table with 6 armies on it battle royale style. Yeah..........

Although i still had my witches, excutioners and chariot on the table i really chose the bad lore. I selected life at the last minute as i've always wanted to use it, but with this type of list i think i needed more destruction, or debuffing.

Other than having High Elves and Wood elves smashing me i think i did alright :D :D
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

it was a huge table with 6 armies on it battle royale style

This kind of game is usually pretty fun (assuming everyone plays quickly enough that the action doesn't drag), but strategy pretty much goes out of the window.

What went wrong with life? It's a very strong lore, but you have to know how to use it, otherwise it can feel very mediocre to weak.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Well, starting off my spell selection did not go well. I had the worst ones and unfortunately did not roll doubles to change spell selections. I had the Sig spell but it got dispelled every time and as it was a battle royale i think i needed something more offensive and unit shattering. Would have like shadow in that match as i hold 2 dragons on my flank and they seriously needed some debuffing. Bolties i had no luck with, they cleared a unit of wild riders off but then i rolled really bad for the rest of the game.

With a different lore i thought i might have been a little more successful.