2000 points vs Dwarves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Draecarion
Warrior

2000 points vs Dwarves

Post by Draecarion »

I'm finally increasing my army size to 2000 points. I mainly play against a friend's army of Dwarves.
This is the list I came up with so far (building up on what I already have):

Characters:

Master on pegasus, heavy armour, shield, lance, SDC, cloak of twilight --> 188 points

Sorceress, lvl 2, opal amulet --> 130 points
- joins Darkshards
- lore of heavens

Master, BSB, lance, SDC, heavy armour, shield, dark steed, ranger's standard --> 173 points
- joins Warlocks

Master, lance, SDC, heavy armour, shield, dark steed, some magic items for 50 points (?) --> 148
- joins Warlocks

Core:

5x Dark Riders, cxb, shields, musician --> 110 points

10x Darkshards, shields, musician --> 140 points

23x Witch Elves, full command, razor standard --> 317 points

Special:

3x Repeater Bolt Thrower --> 210 points

6x Cold One Knights, full command --> 210 points

Rare:

10x Warlocks, champion --> 260 points

Sum--> 1996 points

What do you think? The idea is to have 3 hard-hitting units (WE, CoK, Warlocks), with the Warlocks being supermobile due to the strider standard. The reapers are there since he always brings at least 2 gyrocopers. Pegasus-master and dark riders for artillery. Not sure what items to give the master in the Warlocks for best effectiveness?
I also have models for 2 more pegasus masters.

Help, comments, (constructive) criticism and strange remarks are very welcome :)
Draecarion
Warrior

Re: 2000 points vs Dwarves

Post by Draecarion »

Nothing? :(
I'm just asking, because I'm not sure which models to buy next month (mainly more warlocks and dark riders).
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Well, your list is pretty solid. Witch elves might suffer at the hands of his shooting; but if they do so, the rest of your army wont be hit, which should be a big plus. I think the BSB might suffer from the lack of ward saves. He dies to a cannon hit on a 1/6 chance, pretty much, whereas with a ward save that is dumped to 1/12. But then, the ranger standard is huge in a warlock unit.

One thing I would definitely consider - in your current list already - is to up your lvl 2 to a lvl 4. The extra spells and bonus to cast will stress your opponent way more. Heavens is gold vs dwarves. I would go as far as to drop your 2nd steed master to find points for this. And then give your BSB a charmed shield and a talisman of preservation rather than the magic banner: you should have the movement advantage already, by far!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

Ok, thanks, will do :)

I also have rules question, since I didn't want to open another thread just for this: With 8 warlocks and 2 characters in the unit - if the unit is deployed 5-wide, it should get casting bonus of +3 right? Because it has an additional rank of 5 warlocks after the first and it doesn't matter that there are two characters in the first rank. Is that correct?

In my previous games against dwarves I always had a lvl 4 on a dark pegasus with lore of death ... but she always failed (hard). Mainly because of my ridiculous bad luck - rolling a misfire two times in a row for purple sun for example.

But I will give it another try with lore of heavens. I had good success with it with a lvl 2 in the last two games. I agree that heavens is amazing against dwarves!

The witches always get focused like crazy, but if I'm fast enough to shoot down the gyros usually enough of them survive to cause carnage.

Edit: Changed the list a bit. The second steed-master is still in it.

Characters:

Master on pegasus, heavy armour, shield, lance, SDC, cloak of twilight --> 188 points

Supreme Sorceress, lvl 4, opal amulet --> 235 points
- joins Darkshards
- lore of heavens

Master, BSB, lance, SDC, heavy armour, dark steed, charmed shield, talisman of preservation --> 171 points
- joins Warlocks

Master, lance, SDC, shield, dark steed, armour of destiny --> 144
- joins Warlocks

Core:

10x Darkshards, shields, musician --> 140 points

21x Witch Elves, full command, razor standard --> 295 points

Special:

3x Repeater Bolt Thrower --> 210 points

5x Cold One Knights, full command --> 180 points

Rare:

8x Warlocks, champion --> 230 points

Sum--> 1993 points
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

I also have rules question, since I didn't want to open another thread just for this: With 8 warlocks and 2 characters in the unit - if the unit is deployed 5-wide, it should get casting bonus of +3 right? Because it has an additional rank of 5 warlocks after the first and it doesn't matter that there are two characters in the first rank. Is that correct?

This is indeed correct. The rules doesnt specify that the ranks must be made up of warlocks to achieve the bonus, just that the warlock unit gains +1 per rank. In the bizarre made-up scenario where 9 cold one masters join a single warlock (lets imagine the rest of his unit was shot down), that warlock would now cast at +1.

I like the lvl 4 alot. Since comet is a must stop, you will be having loads more pressure in the magic phase. Lvl 4 death on pegasus is very risky if he runs cannons, she is super vulnerable. Even to low strength shooting, since the ward save is her only save, being a soft wizard and all.

Your current list is very nice. Lots of fast elements to put out there. Just remember when rushing defensive lines, be patient, and when you do strike, be decisive. Dont put your warlocks in the line of fire, unless they can charge on the following turn. And dont put your warlocks in the line of fire alone; when you do "show" your warlocks, you should also push forward with knights and pegasus and dark riders all as one. He cant shoot everything, so something will charge.

The final call there is to make now is whether to put your 2 steed masters on pegasus. Once you lose 3 warlocks, you no longer get look out, sir! vs cannonballs. (Champion doesnt count towards 5 rank-and-file here, remember!). So going on pegasus with both masters means you get 3 flying pressure points instead of 1. And the warlocks are still very dangerous on their own. Up them to 10 man strong. Get masters on pegasus (same gear). And to find points for this? Skip the 5 knights. Dwarves are high strength in melee, knights will not survive prolonged combat. And since dwarves are stubborn... Well. You're gonna want units which can take a beating back. Pegasus masters can, cold one knights cant. This last bit here is a suggestion that in my opinion will sharpen your list greatly. Your list as it stands will do very well, too. I look forward to hearing how the game goes!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

Lvl 4 death on pegasus is very risky if he runs cannons, she is super vulnerable. Even to low strength shooting, since the ward save is her only save, being a soft wizard and all.

Yes, I hade the experience that under 2000 points (probably under 2500) a death-sorceress on pegasus doesn't pay off, since she costs so many points and rarely makes them back. I have used here several times by now and not once (!) did purple sun do anything significant. It's either dispelled, the spell is eaten right away, or if the cast is actually successful, I roll a misfire or a 2 on the artillery dice ...

I will think about putting the two masters on pegasi.

I guess I will post again, after the next game :) (could be two weeks or more though).