2400 ETC - My First DE Tournament

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

anglais
Corsair

Re: 2400 ETC - My First DE Tournament

Post by anglais »

up to you, it is your list after all.
6 are steadfast after a character kills a champion. 5 are just avoidance and sacrificial unit should not have updrages. but this is really a matter of taste.
4 rbt can kill something and imo you do no need to block vanguards, as you want to fight and not to avoid. anyways, I am playing with both 5 shades (w/o upgrades) and 4 rbts, it works better. I really do not see any reason not to max rbt. I believe that there is an opportunity to find 70 points in your list.
18 are good, 10+10 is more tactical. i would actually make them 25+ that kills stuff.
drop a hero then, you can afford loosing 9 w/o a hero. he makes them No 1 to kill target.
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

Excellent point with the 6 DR unit w/ Herald being Steadfast after the Herald dies in a challenge against some lone character! That could be HUGE. Also, with 6 you're still getting a Look Out Sir if you are forced to hide the SS in that unit.

The argument for RBT vs. Shades is a good one and there isn't a clear winner really - do what you like. However, since that extra RBT doesn't give you any advantage in deployment, I like the Shades. They shoot almost as well as a RBT against many targets.

It's not just denying Vanguard that makes Shades nice.

I'm using 2 RBT and 5 Shades right now, and I'm quite happy with that set up. 4 RBT is great, but I would rather use the 140 points I saved to get another unit to drop, gaining me even more of a deployment advantage. I think Coop has 10 drops right now which is quite good.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Interesting points. I will definitely think on this.

The scenario when the dark riders having a champion in it being useful would probably be if I charged a lone character that can accept challenges (think Keeper of Secrets or Dragon) and then passed my steadfast leadership check. That'd be a nice surprise because it'd keep my opponent's character stuck in combat until after their movement phase. If they have any sort of stand and shoot, I'd be screwed though.

I could try 2x10 executioners or even 2x12. Anglais, your changes would look something like this:

2398/2400

LORDS
SS (General) - Dark steed, Ring of Hotek, Level 4 Shadow, Dispel Scroll

HEROES
Master - CoK, Talisman of Preservation, light armor, charmed shield, SDC, BSB, Lance

CORE
14 x Witches - Musician, Standard, Banner of the Eternal Flame
14 x Witches - Musician, Standard
6 x Dark Riders - Champion, Musician
9 x Dark Riders - Xbows, Shields, Full Command

SPECIAL
9 x CoK - Full Command, 5 point magic weapon on champion for etherial units
10 x Executioners - Musician
10 x Executioners - Musician
4 x Bolt Thrower

RARE
10 x Warlocks, champion
5 x Warlocks

More units means more stuff to shoot at and a more difficult time blocking all of the charges. Not sure if 10 executioners is a good enough can opener to win combat however. 16 with a banner had a little more going for it because of the extra attacks and high body count.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

it looks pretty solid for msu list. it should be fine provided that you have to keep knights.
I personally would drop flaming banner/5 points sword for shields/rxbs.
Last edited by anglais on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Lord hajjij wrote:Excellent point with the 6 DR unit w/ Herald being Steadfast after the Herald dies in a challenge against some lone character! That could be HUGE. Also, with 6 you're still getting a Look Out Sir if you are forced to hide the SS in that unit.
I play with 2 units of 6 if I have points. won me a couple of games)
The argument for RBT vs. Shades is a good one and there isn't a clear winner really - do what you like. However, since that extra RBT doesn't give you any advantage in deployment, I like the Shades. They shoot almost as well as a RBT against many targets.
I think that shades have 3 options - 5 w/o grades for vanguard block, 6 with ahw for warmachine/flank assaults and 14+ fcg great weapons as a bunker for mage on foot/hellebron/str7 lord etc. currently I am playing the first option.
I tried 2 rbt/5+5 shades and found that it does not have enough killing power while having maneuvrability I cannot exploit. that amount of shades just do not win its points back. same goes for 2 rbts, as 4 make people think, while a lot of my opponents will boldly ignore 2.
another interesting discussion is about drops, as you have a redeployment option that allows you to react to opponent's thoughts. I found more practical to have less drops just to have +1 and 2 doomblots at turn 1.
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Played the list a couple more times and really enjoy it. My one word of warning if anyone wants to play something similar would be to watch out for high armor. I played empire and really struggled against all those 1+ saves. Once cold one knights get stuck, there's not much that can be done to make it through the armor. And executioners can only be at one place at a time/usually take a decent number of wounds in return.

Might be worth it to try out metal.