Hero Arena: Single Model under 200pt

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cihan
Corsair

Hero Arena: Single Model under 200pt

Post by Cihan »

Hey guys, my local Games Workshop will host a small arena event. You bring a character (max 200 in points) and duel your opponent. I dont know any specifics (who gets the charge? do we take break tests? what about psychology tests?), but I think it will be fun nonetheless.

So, what would you guys bring? Since 200 points really isnt that much, Im not sure whether Dark Elves have a lot to offer in this point range. Im almost certain that I will have to bring a kitted Master instead of a Dreadlord, because a Dreadlord costs 140 points naked.

My current build would be:

Master
Battle Standard Bearer
Heavy Armor, Great Weapon, Sea Dragon Cloak
Dragon Helm, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness
Dark Pegasus
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Hero Arena: Single Model under 200pt

Post by Thraundil »

If charges are not a thing (ie lance and such stuff is useless), I'd go with a DEATH HAG with the rune of khaine and obsidian or ogre blade ;) you're not going to beat a strong exalted hero anyway with your kitted master. Might as well go down swinging!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Thraundil wrote:If charges are not a thing (ie lance and such stuff is useless), I'd go with a DEATH HAG with the rune of khaine and obsidian or ogre blade ;) you're not going to beat a strong exalted hero anyway with your kitted master. Might as well go down swinging!

I disagree. I dont think that an Exalted Hero is stronger than my Master on a Dark Pegasus.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Assassin with Glittering Scales, Opal Amulet, AHW and KB Poison :twisted:

insurance version -- Armour of Destiny

attacking version -- Obsidian Blade, Manbane or Ogre Blade, Manbane

alternative version -- Glittering Scales, Potion of Strength
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Cihan wrote:
Thraundil wrote:If charges are not a thing (ie lance and such stuff is useless), I'd go with a DEATH HAG with the rune of khaine and obsidian or ogre blade ;) you're not going to beat a strong exalted hero anyway with your kitted master. Might as well go down swinging!

I disagree. I dont think that an Exalted Hero is stronger than my Master on a Dark Pegasus.

Exalted hero: Talisman of preservation, mark of tzeentch, third eye of tzeentch, barded chaos steed, great weapon.
2+ armour save, 3+ ward rerolling 1's. Let the theoretical battle commence!

Round one:

Master swings on I7 without rerolls. Lets say he charged and popped the potion so he gets 4 attacks this round. At 4+, two will hit. He will wound on 2+, so lets call that 2 wounds. Our chaos hero has a 5+ armour save for 1,333 wounds dealt, then a 3+ ward save: 0,44 wounds go through. No wait, I reroll half of that, so of the 0,22 wounds I reroll, 0,07 goes through. Total: 0,29 wounds inflicted.
The dark pegasus swings twice for 1 hit. He then wounds on 3+ (S5 on the charge), for 0,66 wounds. After 4+ armour and ward saves, about 0,1 wound more has been dealt for a total of 0,4 wounds.

The chaos steed has a single S4 attack so lets just neglect him (I included him mostly for the armour save boost).
The exalted hero however swings 4 times for 4+ to hit, netting him also 2 wounds. S7, so you got a 5+ rerollable armour save, which means 0,888 wounds go through.

Round two:

Master is down to 3 attacks. Nothing else has changed, though, so the above performance is simply reduced by 25%... So now, he inflicts 0,2 wounds. The pegasus is down to S4, so his performance is well below the 0,1 wound from before. In total, he barely scrapes 0,25 wounds. With average rolls, you havent even damaged the exalted hero for a full wound yet!

The exalted hero repeats his walloping from last time. Another 0,888 wounds.

Well, you can see where this is going. On average, it takes your guy 3 combat rounds to deal a wound to the exalted hero. At which point your master is very likely dead. (Or at least, after round 4 he will be!).
Still fancy those chances?

Incidentally, a death hag would probably still be smacked about by the exalted hero. But at least she would pressure him a little first ;)
If I where you, I'd swap races for this one!

Mind you, an alternate build that I'd probably run with as the exalted hero is demonic mount (for T5 and 3W), glittering scales (-1 to hit), mark of nurgle (-1 to hit), great weapon and soul feeder. Most heroes save for assassins will be hitting him on 6's, and he will put through a wound a round on average against most stuff.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Thank you for your elaborate answer. Im afraid you are correct. Druchii pretty much suck in this setting, I guess.
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

How exactly does combat work? depending on that, I'd go with an assassin w/ black dragon egg and dark venom. You'll most likely strike first with both killing blow attacks and a no armor save breath weapon.

Statically not amazing, but with a little luck can kill anything before they attack back.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Lord hajjij wrote:How exactly does combat work? depending on that, I'd go with an assassin w/ black dragon egg and dark venom. You'll most likely strike first with both killing blow attacks and a no armor save breath weapon.

Statically not amazing, but with a little luck can kill anything before they attack back.

Ahhh, forgot that one :x

Cihan wrote:Thank you for your elaborate answer. Im afraid you are correct. Druchii pretty much suck in this setting, I guess.

You could always go for the naked Dreadlord with a Black Amulet ...and hope your opponent kills himself on you :P
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Some good suggestions here. Alternatively, you could take a level 2 sorceress with the Black Amulet and Power Stone (195 points), with lore of death. Go for broke in the magic phase and try to kill him out that way :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

You could try

Master, cold one, gw, ha, sdc, dawn stone, ots

You'll have 1+ re roll and cause fear (not great but better than nothing). OTS helps a bit against 3++
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

r530 wrote:You could try

Master, cold one, gw, ha, sdc, dawn stone, ots

You'll have 1+ re roll and cause fear (not great but better than nothing). OTS helps a bit against 3++

Another good one!

Tbh I'd go into this competition not to win, but for the 1/10 chance of a Druchii tooling the opposing i.e. Exulted Chaos Hero.

Like Thraundil's Death Hag or Red's Sorceress, the lulz are more fun than the winning (and if you win, well ... !lol! ).

Few other approaches:

Assassin, KB, Sword of Strife, Seed of Rebirth

- 5 x ASF I10 WS9 attacks with KB

Assassin, Manbane, Sword of AntiHeroes, Potion of Strength

- 4 x ASF I10 WS9 S5(8) attacks (wounding on 2s, re-rolling 1s) :twisted:
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

yeah in this i would go pure for Shitz&Giggles. As such a Assassin seems like the most fun idea xD

Assassin with KB and Dragon Egg maybe
or an OTS combo ;)
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Level 2 of death with BDE on a dark steed. Dance him and spirit leach him and if you find yourself cornered and unable to excape charge and breath some dragon breath.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah actually if its not a 'straight line arena', the wizard option is an obvious choice... But if you're forced into close combat. The assassin with BDE might do some work. Statistically the egg does a wound to toughies, and 2 wounds to elves ;)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

If it is only about fighting I would take a banshee. :D Or maybe not as this would make the fights quite onesided one way or the other. I just think most heroes will buy wards rather than magic weapons.