Witchstar 2400

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Witchstar 2400

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hi this list is inspired by the list Dark Reaper started his battle reports with and evolution of the last witch elf + executioner list after some massacres. I lost most witch elves before battle because of concentrated heavy magic damage by opponents.

Idea is simple, I have one very good protected big unit that smashed in combat = 30 witch elves, COB, BSB Hag with Rune of Khaine and Obsidian Blade and Dreadlord (general) with STR 6 and AS 1. Dreadlord carries Ring of Hotek for 2+ ward save against magic for witch elves and 3+ ward save against magic for himself.

Pegasus master hunts enemy warmachines, while shades and reaper shoot away enemy chaff. Shades function as mobile darkshards. Warlocks doombolt and soulblight where needed while also able to charge into flanks. Dark Riders make sure witch elves get their best match ups. Supreme Sorceress on Pegasus heals up wounds of COB BSB and Dreadlord, while buffing and regrowing units. Because of her mobility Dwellers another threat.

When the enemy concentrates on taking out Witch Elf Horde, the rest of the army takes out his army, when enemy concentrates on chaff Witch Elf rapes the enemy army.

Dreadlord
- General
- Heavy Armour
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Shield
- Ogre Blade
- Dragonhelm
- Ring of Hotek

Supreme Sorceress
- Life Magic
- Dark Pegasus
- LVL 4
- Cloak of Twilight
- Dispel Scroll

Pegasus Master
- Lance
- Heavy Armour
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Talisman of Preservation
- Charmed Shield
- Repeater Crossbow
- Pegasus

BSB Death Hag
- Rune of Khaine
- Obsidian Blade
- Cauldron of Blood

5 Dark Riders, shields, RXB
5 Dark Riders, shields, RXB
30 Witch Elves, Full Command, Razor Standard

5 Shades, AHW
5 Shades, AHW
5 Shades, GW
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower

5 Warlocks, Master of Warlocks

2400 points
Sangfroid
Executioner

Re: Witch Elf Horde 2400

Post by Sangfroid »

The witches get a 4++ ward against magic anyway due to 5++ ward from cob and mr1 on cob

So I would suggest that this list would be stronger if you were to move the DL either onto a peg (drop ring for 4++ ward) or put him on a steed and in the warlocks (who then also would benefit being 9/10 strong I guess)

You can save a few points by dropping a shade unit a couple of witches (only need 28 for a horde with cob) you could even drop obsidian blade down to sword of might (with razor your still -3as)

Personally I think the cloak of twilight needs to go on the master, this turns him from a warmachine hunter into a "anything" hunter, with the cloak he can charge skull crushers, mournfang, Demi's, ogres, (anything monsterous and in a unit of three) and with a bit of luck kill one or two, break them and run them down. That alone would pay for his cost. Also if you go with dreadpeg you can charge Your master and locks into a bunker, master of warlocks takes challenge and your master (who is in b2b) contact with enemy lvl 4 and snipes it out even if they all die you will have matched points and ruined enemies magic phase against most armies.

It's only my opinion of course I just think cloak master on a peg is in our top three options army selection wise
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Re: Witchstar 2400

Post by Lord hajjij »

When the enemy concentrates on taking out Witch Elf Horde, the rest of the army takes out his army, when enemy concentrates on chaff Witch Elf rapes the enemy army.

What rest of your army? There is literally nothing there that could take out even a mediocre unit. You can shoot which is nice, but other than that...

You also have what, 4 fortitude and only 6 drops in deployment?

Of course, I don't know what your gaming group is like, and this could be an effective list against many armies - but as a take-all-comers type list I personally don't see it.

I think if you were to reduce the cost of some of the stuff in the witch elf unit like Sangfroid mentioned, (Ring, Razor Standard, Obsidian Blade) as well as drop some of the shades and shade upgrades then you could work something into the army that would really help out the army as a whole. Maybe a small unit of Black Guard to help protect you horde, a Kharibdyss to try and draw fire away from the Cauldron, or even a pair of CoC's which could be a threat to some of the secondary units of the enemy.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Witchstar 2400

Post by Lord Drakon »

The rationale is that I have the Witchstar can take out most enemy infantry units, it struggles with armour and lacks a magical attack therefore the Dreadlord, who provide at least 4 strength 6 (-4 AS) attacks. Besides his AA-armour function he also provides LD 10 and MR (3) to the Witch Elves. In previous battles I experienced how opponent that faced an horde witch elves with COB before prevent and shoot / magic it at all costs. The 4+ ward save proved insufficient to keep them at full strength before reaching combat, and enemy redirectors slowed them down.

The rest of the army make sure enemy chaff is killed and the Witchstar reaches combat. Although I have only few drops, the army is very mobile and can be re-deployed fast. Shades give me the option to use them as three more drops, or ensure board control after deployment is done.

I took the obsidian blade, and swapped Pegasus for Steed for the solo master to take two sorceresses with Light for an Druchii Light council as second threat. Besides two more channels, they also provide a cheap fireball each for clearing out chaff. Light is not only good for the Light Council, but also synergize really well with the Witchstar I think.

I recently saw a comparison between a 90 pt shade unit and a pawn within chess. As I really liked the comparison between my units and the pieces (and their strategical importance) used with chess. If I would compare my list to chess pieces that would be the following

Druchii Light Council = King & Queen
The Supreme Sorceress is the unit that I want to preserve at all costs. Light offers me great and cheap spells to reduce chances to a miscats, and the Cloak of Twilight offers her the best protection against enemy shooting and magic we can give. The pegasus offers me great mobility to place her out of danger. The two LVL 1 sorceresses are inside a 7 large dark rider bunker, and stay out of any danger, they can however very effectively take out enemy chaff with fireballs and RXB fire. I can even sacrifice the LVL 1 sorceresses late game, as they are only 90 points with a movement of 18". If enemy shooting can be taken out they can even act as dark riders redirecting enemy units. They also have great mobility and offer dangerous magic missile and shooting.

Steedmaster and Warlocks = Horses
These are my units that sneak through enemy lines, taking out vulnerable units and disrupt enemy plans. They act as my horses, wreaking havoc because of their extreme mobility and great damage output.

Witchstar = Towers
The Witchstar is in total 900 points and is the unit that needs to do the real damage by finishing off the enemy main unit(s). They are more difficult to manouevre and to get at the enemy lines compared to the other units, so the other units have to ensure the Witchstar can engage where I want it to engage. They are really good protected against magic with a 2+ ward save, so the only spells I am afraid of are Dwellers and the Thirteenth. In combat, especially when buffed, will shred most things apart, especially with the extra backup of the Dreadlord. Their two weakness are (1) enemy shooting, which can be minimised with Pha's Protection and providing hard cover with offer expendable units and (2) movement which is minimised with Birona's Timewarop and the superior chaff I can field.

Shades, Dark Riders and Reaper Bolt Throwers = Pawns
These are the units that I use for board control and to set up the final stage where the Witchstar engages. Not only are they pawns and therefore expendable, they are also better than most pawns available. This means that are capable to take out enemy pawns (also chaff) theirselves with their shooting and continue to harass the opponent.

Dreadlord
- General
- Heavy Armour
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Ogre Blade
- Enchanted Shield
- Ring of Hotek

Supreme Sorceress
- LVL 4
- Light Magic
- Cloak of Twilight
- Dispel Scroll