1800 point list vs high elves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

1800 point list vs high elves

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

Newish DE player here, looking to expand my army to face a high elf list. This is what I have so far

level 4 sorceress, dispel scroll, lore of death, cloak of twilight (probably will change this)

20 corsairs, additional hand weapons, full command
5 dark rider, Xbows, shields, full command

20 executioners, full command
5 cold one knights

5 doomfire warlocks, champion
5 doomfire warlocks, champion

Comes to 1400, could add in banner that causes terror on the executioners. I basically have about 400 points to spend. Thinking of getting a level 1/2 with feedback scroll just for a cheap magic defense. More dark riders? master on Pegasus? BSB? please help.
This is the high elf list i know i'm going to be facing regularly.

Teclis
hero mounted, lance and shield,?
hero on foot, sword and shield,?

8 silverhelms, full command
30 Phoenix guard, full command
white lion chariot

I believe he said the total was around 1800
He puts the hero and Teclis in with the phoenix guard, flanked by everything else. I've seen him split the phoenix guard into two units, 1 unit of 10 with Teclis and then an inch in front the other 20 with the hero, surrounded by Everything. This makes killing Teclis a pain...

My executioners will wipe through his chariot and silverhelms, but will get squashed against even 15 phoenix guard
Now I don't even know how to use my calvary because he has so much of his own.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: 1800 point list vs high elves

Post by T.D. »

All the best Dark Elves are Tactical :mrgreen:

You can introduce yourself here: http://www.druchii.net/viewforum.php?f=79

I think you've already summarised the main points already. Looking at his list:

Teclis -- dies to combat
hero mounted, lance and shield,? -- dies to combat
hero on foot, sword and shield,? -- dies to combat

8 silverhelms, full command -- dies to RBT, CoK charge
30 Phoenix guard, full command -- Avoid!
white lion chariot -- charge it first i.e. with Warlocks, CoK

I'm guessing he has the BoTWD in the PG bunker. Otherwise the go to plan would be to throw a nasty spell like Black Horror down its throat.
Witches backed by Cauldron would be a way to deal with this unit.

level 4 sorceress, dispel scroll, lore of death, cloak of twilight (probably will change this) -- this is a good loadout on a Pegasus or Dark Steed. On foot I'd probably change to a lore that can cause mass casualties from afar, or one that can buff your troops.
20 corsairs, additional hand weapons, full command -- good anti-High Elf choice. Boost with magic.
5 dark rider, Xbows, shields, full command -- shoot his Helms, then run away (repeatedly)

20 executioners, full command -- good vs his cavalry, vulnerable to chariot impact and PG
5 cold one knights -- good for charging anything of his

5 doomfire warlocks, champion -- good for charging his cavalry, or magicking them
5 doomfire warlocks, champion -- good for charging his cavalry, or magicking them

With this list I'd probably try to:
- slow his advance with double flee of fast cavalry, and threaten counter charge with your CoK
- place your Exes to threaten his cavalry, Corsairs to threaten PG. Run away from PG if necessary i.e. with Corsairs/sacrificial cavalry
- use extra points to counter his magic superiority in some way i.e. Ring of Hotek
- use extra points to get some Harpies to threaten assassination of Teclis, and serve as sacrificial redirector
- use extra points to get some RBT for non-magical attrition
- sneaky Breath Weapon might be useful i.e. Assassin with Black Dragon Egg in Corsairs on suicide mission against PG.

Unfortunately though, it looks like you are going to have to spend cash to come up with a good counter to his list. RBT's will cut down his cavalry. A flight of Peg Masters (large scale: plus Lord or two) will give you the mobility to take out his supporting units, then avoid or combo-charge his big block. Sisters of Slaughter are also a good counter to his cavalry, chariot and PG thanks to inbuilt CC ward. Witches backed by Cauldron are another choice for going toe-to-toe with him. Or Darkshards to shoot his PG as they cross the board.

i.e. Mirror his setup with Darkshard bunker opposing PG, Sorceress with RoH+DS (Metal), max out on RBT to force him to engage, wings of Dark Riders and Warlocks holding Pegasus characters to charge his cavalry as they approach. Sneaky unit of Harpies held back for emergencies.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame