1500 pts and in doubt.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

AWdeV
Trainee Warrior

1500 pts and in doubt.

Post by AWdeV »

Right, so. I re-started collecting some time ago (apparently I haven't used my account in a year minus 17 days) and in the meantime it has grown to about 16/1700 usable points.

Some weeks ago I had my first battle (1250 pts) in over a decade against a whole lot of Skinks. While I lost, it was a fairly near loss and it only happened because I did not have the reliable high strength attacks to fend off his a) stegadon and even more dangerously his b) Saurus old-blood (or scar vet, I don't know. Fighty hero) on cold one with GW and stegadon helm. (S7, T6, 2+AS and so on)

Now this week I will have a battle of 1500 points against a different player.

I will be using most if not all of what I had used before but there are still some things I'm in doubt about and wondering what the best options were. Because even though it's just a friendly game, I'd still like to win. :P

My original 1250 points army was:

Level 2 Sorceress (used Dark) for 115 pts.

3*10 Darkshards, with shields and full command for total 480 points.
1*10 corsairs with AHW and full command for 140 points.
1*5 Dark Riders, shields, rxb's, full command for 140 points.

Cold one Chariot for 115 points.
1*5 Shades, naked, for 90 points.
1*5 Cold one Knights, full command 180 points.

Now, it was my idea to raise the points cost to 1500 and I intend to fill up the gap with:

2nd Sorceress, lvl 2 for 115 points
1*5 Doomfire Warlocks, with champion for 135 points.

As it is now, this seems to be a very magic-heavy MSU list that prefers to avoid combat.

Thing is, I also have some painted Masters I'd like to use and my shades had let me down in the last game (there was not much they could do against a saurus hero on cold one, but still. They were weak, they deserved to die.) so I was wondering if it was a good idea to drop the shades and exchanging them for a master with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak and great sword. This would cost 84 points but if I dropped the shields from the DR as well as the shades (which were ten points over my previous list oops!) I'd end up with 1499 points.

What do all of you think?

My enemy is either going to be Ogre Kingdoms (with monsters), Warriors of Chaos (and he might try to cram in a daemon prince) or empire so I think I'll need something capable of cracking good armours or high toughness.

(and as I was writing this I realised I had made a mistake in my original "1250" points army because the shades are 90 and not, as I had written down, 80 points)

Another question, what lores of magic should I use? The warlocks don't have a choice and I'd like my sorceresses to stick to their painted themes (one is Dark/Shadow/Death, the other Fire/Metal) but that's optional. I will probably go with metal as long as the foe is not Ogres (haha take that, 1+ armour save!) but I'm not sure about the others as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. What works best against which foes in your experience?
Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

Re: 1500 pts and in doubt.

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

AWdeV wrote:Right, so. I re-started collecting some time ago (apparently I haven't used my account in a year minus 17 days) and in the meantime it has grown to about 16/1700 usable points.

Some weeks ago I had my first battle (1250 pts) in over a decade against a whole lot of Skinks. While I lost, it was a fairly near loss and it only happened because I did not have the reliable high strength attacks to fend off his a) stegadon and even more dangerously his b) Saurus old-blood (or scar vet, I don't know. Fighty hero) on cold one with GW and stegadon helm. (S7, T6, 2+AS and so on)

Now this week I will have a battle of 1500 points against a different player.

I will be using most if not all of what I had used before but there are still some things I'm in doubt about and wondering what the best options were. Because even though it's just a friendly game, I'd still like to win. :P

My original 1250 points army was:

Level 2 Sorceress (used Dark) for 115 pts.

3*10 Darkshards, with shields and full command for total 480 points.
1*10 corsairs with AHW and full command for 140 points.
1*5 Dark Riders, shields, rxb's, full command for 140 points.

Cold one Chariot for 115 points.
1*5 Shades, naked, for 90 points.
1*5 Cold one Knights, full command 180 points.

Now, it was my idea to raise the points cost to 1500 and I intend to fill up the gap with:

2nd Sorceress, lvl 2 for 115 points
1*5 Doomfire Warlocks, with champion for 135 points.

As it is now, this seems to be a very magic-heavy MSU list that prefers to avoid combat.

Thing is, I also have some painted Masters I'd like to use and my shades had let me down in the last game (there was not much they could do against a saurus hero on cold one, but still. They were weak, they deserved to die.) so I was wondering if it was a good idea to drop the shades and exchanging them for a master with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak and great sword. This would cost 84 points but if I dropped the shields from the DR as well as the shades (which were ten points over my previous list oops!) I'd end up with 1499 points.

What do all of you think?

My enemy is either going to be Ogre Kingdoms (with monsters), Warriors of Chaos (and he might try to cram in a daemon prince) or empire so I think I'll need something capable of cracking good armours or high toughness.

(and as I was writing this I realised I had made a mistake in my original "1250" points army because the shades are 90 and not, as I had written down, 80 points)

Another question, what lores of magic should I use? The warlocks don't have a choice and I'd like my sorceresses to stick to their painted themes (one is Dark/Shadow/Death, the other Fire/Metal) but that's optional. I will probably go with metal as long as the foe is not Ogres (haha take that, 1+ armour save!) but I'm not sure about the others as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. What works best against which foes in your experience?

As for magic lore, against chaos you may as well take metal, especially if he has knights (searing doom the signature spell is perfect)
Shadow is also quite nice
I wouldn't really recommend taking another sorceress, drop the dark riders for another unit of warlocks, as soulblight AND doombolt are very useful against ogres, warriors and Deamon Princes. So in total you'll be getting 3 channel attempts, and guaranteed spells of searing doom, soulblight and doombolt.

10 corsairs will do little if anything to chaos, although may put a slight dent in ogres, if your able to get some -drop these for witch elves.
Drop the cold one knights, they're garbage (I somehow manage to fail stupidity at least twice a game) this will give you points for your master and a bit more to add some more shades (keep them)
As for the chariot i've never seen anyone use them successfully, but if you know then go ahead.
Fill the rest of the points cost to 1500 with witch elves if you can all in one unit, put the master with the shades and take down enemy shooters them, before they take out your witches.
AWdeV
Trainee Warrior

Re: 1500 pts and in doubt.

Post by AWdeV »

Thanks for the tips. Problem is, the reason we're playing at 1500 points is because I do not have a lot more. And seeing as the other guy is likely to bring a lot of proxies already, I feel like I owe it to myself and to the gaming club to at least produce like 95% of the actual models. :P

Similarily, I need the Knights to keep the points up. That, and I think they're super cool models and I want to see what they can do. (they got wiped out by a single boosted amber spear to the flank in the previous game, before they had had the opportunity to even munch a single skink) And failing a LD9 stupidity roll is just super bad luck.

I was also wondering about the corsairs but they have semi-decent saves so could work out as a minor tarpit in a pinch. Or a bunch of flanking attacks. They'll likely be more useful against empire state troops than against ogre bulls or chaos warriors though, that's true.

And while the chariot didn't earn its cost back in the previous game quite yet, it did do some damage. It's just that it was straight up against a stegadon which first charged, damaged and routed it and when my chariot rallied the stegadon shot it with it's bolt thrower. Such a shame. Did crush a half dozen skink skirmishers though. !lol!

I could potentially swap the second sorceress for a magically equipped master though. 115 points buys a nice bag of goodies but I fear over-equipping him for a role that doesn't fit in the army at large. With 115 points I could go for a super durable one with rerollable 1+ AS, 2++ against flame and 6++ in CC but such a build lacks in killiness. (3 s4 attacks with a hand weapon is not great).

I'm also a bit reluctant to ever get witch elves because they're heinously overpriced. Maybe through mantic or something like them. Still, with witches I worry about their ridiculous fragility and I don't really like them in my loosely themed army. I know they can be very dangerous though, so there's that.