Dark Elves, Jorkar WarHost, 86 wounds

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Phox532
Executioner

Dark Elves, Jorkar WarHost, 86 wounds

Post by Phox532 »

General:6 wounds
Phox Jorkarzul-Dreadlord on Coldone *

Heavy Calvary: 18 Wounds
9 Coldone Knights *

Light Calvary: 10 wounds
5 Darkriders *

Heavy Infantry:20 wounds
10 Rakrn Rutz Deathcorps- Har Ganeth Executioners *
10 House Jorkar Judicators-Har Ganeth Executioners *

Light Infantry: 10 wounds
10 Dreadspears *

Light artillery:
20 Darkshards **/*

So I finally found a taobao.com shop that sold WH:FB minis and had Dark Elves, and it's cheaper than GW, so YAY :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . Anyway have been trying to build this army, so that i can play with mate here. He has 6 different factions that have roughly 70-100 wounds, So I'm trying to balance my army out to be around the same. I love the look of the Coldone Knights, so I want kinda wanted them to be the center piece of the army, but then was talking to another friend who told me about the Executioners, and those models look awesome as well. So change my plan of 40 wounds of Knights to create a still heavy force, but I think is more balanced.
So I'm hoping to have some Synergy with this War Host. The Units it yellow are making up the Exiled Warhost. I am hoping that it will increase my over all attack buff all my "lighter" units while my Executioners are able to stack damage, with Single-Minded Hunting Beast I'm hoping that my Knights are able to close the distances between charging faster. I hope this works, but I'm new to the game so I'm sure that I've got some stuff backwards and that this all will fall on my face.
My concerns:
1) I have two mates that play here in China, the one has 6 factions but little magic in those factions, that other has an army of lizardmen that he describes as magic heavy. Are Magic Heavy Armies inside this wound limit going to be a major problem for me?
2)I was playing around this the idea of dropping the Light Artillery: Darkshards and getting 10 Doomfire Warlocks. This keep me in the 70-100 wound range, I'm getting some magic in my Warhost, and my warhost is more mobile, But I all lose the Exile Warhost synergy, and while Magic Artillery sound cool, i'm not sure it will work. Should I drop 20 Darkshards for 10 Doomfire warlocks?
3)Now while he doesn't have a lot magic, my other friend does have a lot of War Machines. I thought I read some where that War machines are the counter to Calvary, is that right? If yes, then is my army a giant cannon ball magnet?
4) I am lacking a monster and war machine. I have been looking at getting Reaper Bolt throwers, I feel that I can take out 10 Executioners to make up for the spaces in the wound limit, but is only one unit of 10 executioners worth it? Is it worth have war Machines and Monsters.
5) A tag along question are only 5 Darkriders worth it?
6) So new to the game and found the Exile Warhost in the war scrolls. Is there a list of other synergy groups out there? Am I missing key units that play off each other?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but I can't think of them right now.
*Have the Model Ordered will arrive in 3 weeks
**Have already just not painted
Phox Jorkarzul
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Dark Elves, Jorkar WarHost, 86 wounds

Post by Calisson »

1) Magic gives magic missiles (beware your general) and improve one unit's armor. Not a huge deal.
2) I'd recommend you to keep the warhost synergy rather than getting warlocks. It would be a good idea to get some magic yourself, but a sorceress is the better option for that.
3) Fast Cavalry is a counter to warmachines!
4) RBT are great with their incredible range. You'll love them. Now, execs are great too. What you could consider is to have a single unit of Execs, but slightly larger.
5) I'm sure DR are worth a lot; it is just that they are vulnerable to lots of things.
6) The only other DE warhost is khainite, totally different.
I'd recommedn you to learn how to play with your units, good deeds and bad performance, and to analyse each game.
Only with this knowledge will you perceive what you are lacking and which unit should be added.
Beware, the race for the most competitive army can be addictive - and time+money consuming.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Lizardman armies can be quite a problem if they are magic heavy since they can summon pretty much any unit on their Warscrolls. I have seen 1 Slaan Mage Priest summon as many as 40 models in a single turn. It might be worth it to take one less Cold One knight and a couple of Dark Sorceresses on foot when you face the LM's, or else figure out a way to get some Shades in there so you can deploy them in a position to go after the Slaan Mage Priest right away.

I like Doomfire Warlocks a lot, because they also do pretty good in HtH. If it were me, I'd lose the Darkshards and Dreadspears for another unit of 5 Dark Riders and a unit of 10 Doomfire Warlocks (I like taking 10 to get the automatic 6 mortal wounds each time the spell is successful). But that's me - as you stated, you lose the warhost synergy if you take that route which some people would definitely prefer to keep.

Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Thanks for the advice. I don't thin that I'll get the warlocks. I think that I can get Sorceresses of a Coldone. This is within my budget so I'll be happy. I know what you mean about time and money spent to be competitive, as a former MTG player, I used to drop 100-150 dollars a week on new cards. I think this year, I'm going to focus on the Exiled Warhost and build around that synergy there, and the Sorceresses on Coldone plays can play into that as well. What I do think I'll add is some Bolt Throwers. I need to fin the Model here, but I think it will give me some extra range and will give the army some depth and range.

Next year, I think I'll build a Cult of Khainite Host that has deeper focus on magic. I have some different ideas for it, but I think it will wait. Right now I want to get my current army here, built, and painted. the wait is killing me.
Phox Jorkarzul