So............

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Aenarion
Noble

So............

Post by Aenarion »

Now that its all over what happens.
Do we get anything(items etc)
or do we carry on normally
"Better not to have been born than to live without glory."

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war."
-Napolean(both quotes)
Frogboy
Corsair

Re: So............

Post by Frogboy »

aenarion wrote:Now that its all over what happens.
Do we get anything(items etc)
or do we carry on normally

No actually, you have now lost some items like the gauntlet of power and the driarch of dark power as your generals got their hands bitten of by a pissed old blood. :twisted:

(on serious note, don't really think it would be fair for the DE to get some items while their would be nothing to gain for the lizards who have fought just as well as the DE in this campaign, It would be a unfair treatment)
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Just a fluff update. But hey, it was fun, and you guys can now come and participate in the campaign here. I look forward to working with you guys against the CoP and their Chaos cohorts.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Bleys
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bleys »

Honestly, I hope that GW's plan was that no matter what the result was (i.e. even if the DE somehow managed to win by a result of 80/20, or better) no new items that would impact game play would be handed out.

To me, the whole reason for the subcampaign in Lustria was a push for Morathi to try to gain some additional ways to get more power to fuel her cult. And what better way to do that than to capture some things that could help advance the fluff (and only the fluff, again, that's my hope of what the plan was) but do nothing to impact table-top play.

All in all, we (the Druchii) have gotten more than enough in the way of items, cool units, characters, etc over the last couple of years, and we don't really need any more!

The DE army isn't meant to be overpowering in any one thing (unless you possibly count extreme mobility) and thus shouldn't have an overwhelming number of magic items, which it's dangerously close to, IMO. The army, as a whole, requires a lot of finesse and coordination, and I like it just fine that way ;)
Currently Listening To: In Flames
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

The only things that have happened to us (fluffwise) is the Cult Of Slaanesh has become more prominent in our society and we got the odd magic item (not in the rules though) from the Lizardmen temples. I would also suspect we got a load of slaves from the weakened Old World.
Mornar shethurith
Malekith's Speechwriter
Location: Probably throwing electronics around the room in frustration.

Post by Mornar shethurith »

The DE army isn't meant to be overpowering in any one thing

They aren't, never have been, and most likely never will be. So I don't think you have to worry about that. ;)

and thus shouldn't have an overwhelming number of magic items, which it's dangerously close to, IMO

Are you aware that most army books have a full page of magic items more than us?
"Life is just getting ready to stay dead for a long time."
--Addie Bundren, As I Lay Dying
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Bleys wrote:The DE army isn't meant to be overpowering in any one thing (unless you possibly count extreme mobility) and thus shouldn't have an overwhelming number of magic items, which it's dangerously close to, IMO.

maybe you´re right about the number of magic items, but i actually think half of them are good for nothing. so some more useful items would be highly appreciated imho.

i know that other armies have useless items as well, but the dark elfs have lots of useless items - i don´t know their english names ( i´ve never seen their english names here, guess why) but no one uses the cheapest three swords, and the two most expensive magic weapons are used rarely as well. for magical armour, the list is better, but the armour of living death is a thing that is nice in fluff, but useless in game terms imho. the eye of the gods is wasted points, the ring of hotek is too random to be usefull, the ring of darkness and crystal of midnight are things i would use in a friendly game for fun, but not for relying on them, as is the other enchanted item (i don´t know the name). banners and arcane items are okay.

so, 10 out of 32 items from the original book are quite bad, and even the blade of ruin and the hydra blade have big drawbacks: strength four only - but thats still acceptable.

in my humble oppinion, one or two usefull items would be a very nice thing to have - especially as the dark elves are described as being masters of the dark arts and of enchanting stuff in the armybook.

Edit:
Quote:
and thus shouldn't have an overwhelming number of magic items, which it's dangerously close to, IMO

Are you aware that most army books have a full page of magic items more than us?

i absolutely agree.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Mornedhel wrote: maybe you´re right about the number of magic items, but i actually think half of them are good for nothing. so some more useful items would be highly appreciated imho.

Yeah, like a sword that instantly kills anything in btb :roll:
I think our current item selection is just fine ;)
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Post by Valtor the tainted »

Lord Tareq wrote:
Mornedhel wrote: maybe you´re right about the number of magic items, but i actually think half of them are good for nothing. so some more useful items would be highly appreciated imho.

Yeah, like a sword that instantly kills anything in btb :roll:
I think our current item selection is just fine ;)

i agree i feel blessed by khaine every time i gaze over the magic items list espically our newest addition draich of dark power :twisted: when my enemies see it they go :shock:
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Aekold helbrass
Noble

Post by Aekold helbrass »

nothing wrong with our magic items - before the CoP came along i would've said we had too few useful ones, but i think the new additions work very well.
"Faster, Marge, faster! The snapping turtles are massing!"
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I dont think we should, or will, get anything that affects gameplay. The items we have received from Albion and the COP have brought us up to par with other armies and the revision made our general list better to play.

Hopefully the fuff written for the campaign should not repesent a 50/50 tie not a loss for us. ie all of the Druchii escape on the Arks but the human cultists have to be left on the shore :twisted:

Our next move should be to take it easy for a while and just enjoy playing.
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

When 7th ed comes around and they revise all the army books then I hope that GW fix all the useless items in all the books. I could never understand why they made items so obviously useless/overpriced (Empire's Bronze Shield for example). It just looks like they couldn't be bothered to think up useful things for these items to do and got a monkey to type in any old number into a calculator when deciding how many points the item should cost.

IMO the following items in our list need rethinking or a points decrease:

Executioner's Axe - Gauntlet is better and cheaper but it was bad even befoer the Gauntlet.
Venom Sword - it's good in the hands of an Anointed by with a S4 Highborn it's too expensive.
Heartseeker - with such good WS this would be better off if it re-rolled failed wounds.
Chill Blade - a sword which only works when your opponent doesn't die.
Dark Sword - see Chill Blade.

Armour Of Living Death - way too expensive.
Armour Of Darkness - you can buy a better and cheaper version of this with Mundane stuff and an Enchanted Shield.
Ring Of Hotek - good against Slann's and Wizards in units but not against any lone Wizards. Too restricted.
Rubric Of Dark Dimensions - too expensive and will likely not work on characters.
Ring Of Darkness - get's dispelled too easily.
Divine Eye - too expensive and generally not much use.

Soulstone - too expensive. Would rather spend points on a scroll or Darkstar Cloak.

Banner Of Nagarythe - too expensive and the BSB is going to get crushed when your opponent realises he's carrying it.
Standard Of Slaughter - War Banner is a better deal and cheaper.
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Soulstone - too expensive. Would rather spend points on a scroll or Darkstar Cloak.

These items are both worth their costs, soulstone is a must for a HS and divine eye can be useful, its not too expensive anyway.

Otherwise I completely agree.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

LordSaradain wrote:

These items are both worth their costs, soulstone is a must for a HS and divine eye can be useful, its not too expensive anyway.

Otherwise I completely agree.

How do you use the Divine Eye? I can usually see if there are any characters in units, it's usually a good bet that Night Goblin units will contain Fanatics and only Skaven and Dark Elves can have Assassins. Yes they have to tell you the names of magic items in the units but not what the magic items do, so unless you know the enemy magic item list really well the names aren't going to help all that much.