Have you read this? (SOC)

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Argetlam
Black Guard

Have you read this? (SOC)

Post by Argetlam »

http://stormofchaos.us.games-workshop.c ... efault.htm

what make me interested is : Over-all conclusions

The one big thing I would change if I were to create the Storm of Chaos again would be to better regulate the way in which players registered victories. The original idea had been for players to pick a location first (I suspect this didn’t happen very often in the real event) and would then gamble on getting a plus or a minus depending on the result of the game. This system is only possible to manage if both players are registered, and apparently there were Attackers who were losing battles to Defenders without being registered themselves, which meant that if they won, the result was wasted. In the future, I would make it mandatory for players to register a result between them, eliminating this, as well as the somewhat strange practice of “stocking up” on victories before the campaign had actually begun. If you’re playing someone who cannot register a win if you lose, then that’s not really playing fair in my book. If these changes had been in effect, I suspect the Attackers would have made quicker headway than they did.

what do you think??
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

Well, it makes sense to me. It's only fair to make sure you get the most correct results.. but it's just as possible things could have been the other way around (ie the defender wasn't registered) so it's hard to say it would have really made a noticeable difference in the outcome.
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

i actually think it can´t be a problem for both to register a battle. in most cases, if one of the two players has access to the internet, he can grant the other player access to the internet as well, adn creating an email account is a matter of less than a minute.

statistically, it would have made no difference, but only if the number of defenders and the number od attackers were roughly the same. if the number of defenders was smaller, the likelyhood of them not being registered was smaller as well.

also, there are lots of other factors.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

ITs' called cheating. That is why the Flesh and Blood campaign you need an opponent to register against to ensure that you get full value for your victory.

End of story if your opponent cannot register a victory then would you register a loss? No you wouldn't. Hence cheating.
Alkha'gthor
Corsair

Post by Alkha'gthor »

I don't know about that Underway, it may have being the case in some areas but my opponents and I don't have easy access to the net and so I was forced to post all results, this ended up with me having to post lossses since I am nowhere near good enough to win every game I play in. My results wound up being something like 7-4 so there are honest people out there. Having said that the policy that is being adopted for Flesh and Blood is a good one and it should result in a closer general result even if there is discrepancy in player numbers.
Look into the eyes of death and know that your life is meaningless, in my grand scheme you are less than dirt. Alkha'gthor, Lord of Torment
Imrael
Beastmaster

Post by Imrael »

Seems to me GW missed a quite reasonable opportunity here. Serial numbered plastic cards (like store loyalty cards) could be given away as "campaign registration cards". First visit to web site you associate card number with your general, and to log a rsult you enter both players card numbers.

GW could distribute the cards in White Dwarf, the SOC book and from stores - between those 3 they should get them to every player.

They could also form the embryo of a loyalty card.
People said "smile - things could get worse"
So I did smile
And things did get worse
Maranayth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maranayth »

The cheating aspect can go both ways. Here where I play, there's even a high elf player who reports in victories from more than one registered account. Made me wonder in the end if the Druchii-Lizardmen side campaign is indeed a draw.
Maranayth the Dark

Aspiring Commander of the Legion of Shadow
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

The Druchii-Lizardmen campaign was a draw because the cheaters canceled each other out. In a win loss matrix the DE/Lizardmen/CoP lists are very evenly matched. That means if there were cheaters they were balanced out.

Besides in a static campaign like Lustria, cheaters quickly lose interest as their posts have essentially no effect.