High Elf Army list

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

High Elf Army list

Post by Langmann »

A while ago I asked the HE of Asur.org for a High Elf army list. Hoping to get a balanced list of a rather "partisan" like nature, as would be expected for an army in defense of Arnhelm (you know, scouts, basic spearmen, archers, perhaps fast cav core etc) I got this instead:

Army List:

War Council of Asuryan
The War Council of Asuryan is branch of the Temple of Asuryan that is chartered by the Phoenix King to deal with 'significant external threats to Ulthuan.' They field their own private army and although small, they are filled only with elite warriors. It was they who razed Luftburg and resurrected the waystone, and it was the war council who uncovered the news of the druchii civil war.

This is a list that represents the war council's army on the field of battle - since this elite but mostly unknown force is charged with a large portion of action in Arnhelm.

The army used by the War Council is composed of no citizen levy, but rather elite soldiers gathered from various provinces for their unique abilities to help aid the mission of the Council. They all bear the same colors - white and black robes and standards - to match the black and white mask worn by their patron god. Their armies are commanded by the Priests of Asuryan and their chosen field officers.

Army Special Rule:
Fearless - The War Council's forces are usually far outnumbered, and as such are ready to face an overwhelming threat. All units in the army are immune to panic.

Note: No Dogs of War may be taken.

Lords:

0-1 Priest of Asuryan @ 140 points
5-6-6-4-3-3-7-4-10
Weapons: Hand Weapon and Shield

Magic: A Priest of Asuryan is a level 1 wizard and may only use the Lore of Light.

Options:
-May wear light armor (+5 points)
-May choose a combination of magic items/honors up to 100 points from the common and high elf list of magic items.

Special Rules:

Holy Warriors: Priests of Asuryan are warriors through and through. They are blessed by their patron god, and as such can release energies even though they wear armor. As such, Priests of Asuryan can cast spells even though they are in light armor.

Mark of Asuryan: If a Priest of Asuryan is killed in hand to hand combat, he will speak for one final time in his life, and call for Asuryan with his dying breath. This will summon the wrath of the god upon his slayer. The model that killed the Priest of Asuryan must take an immediate Leadership test or be slain by the Wrath of Asuryan, regardless of wounds or any saves.

Field Commander (same as Prince)

Heros:

Captain (same as Commander)

Mage

Core:

Lothern Sea Guard

Silverhelms

Every silverhelm and Lothern Sea Guard regiment may take a standard worth up to 25 points. Champions may take magic items worth up to 25 poitns

0-2 Phoenix Guard
Note: Phoenix Guard no longer cause fear, but are unbreakable.

Special:

0-1 Swordmasters

0-1 White Lions

Lothern Sea Rangers at 12 points each
Same stats as Shadow Warriors, with the exception that they do not have Dark Elves

0-1 House Guard 13 points/model
5-4-4-3-3-1-5-1-9
Champ: +1 A
Unit Size: 10+
Weapons and Armor: Halberd, Dragon Armor, Shield

Options: Flamebearer/Stnd Bearer for +12 points, Musician for +6 points
Standard Bearer may take a standard worth up to 50 points
Champion may take up to 25 points of magic items.

Special Rules:
Dragon Armor

Halberd Master: May wield a Halberd as though it was a one handed weapon.

Bodyguard: House Guards hail from Caledor, and represent the personal guards of the Dragon Lords in their house citadels. The House Guards that join the cause of the War Council act as bodyguards for the Priests when they lead missions personally. If joined by a Priest of Asuryan, the regiment becomes Stubborn.

Rare:

RBTs

Great Eagles

0-2 Sea Hunters of Cothique @ 14 points each
5-5-4-3-3-1-5-1-8
Champ: +2 attacks
Unit Size: 10+
Weapons and Equipment: Light Armor, Shield, Trident, Net and Handweapon

Options: Champ/Stnd +12 points, Musician +6

Champion may take up to 25 points in magic items
Standard Bearer may take a standard worth up to 50 points

Special Rules:
Fearless Hunters: Recruited from Cothique, these Sea Hunters are used to tackle monstorous and terroizing threats against Ulthuan. Sea Monster hunters are immune to fear and terror.

Trident - Tridents require two hands and are resolved at +1 S. Against large targets or monstrous mounts that are netted (see below) , any unsaved wound from a trident becomes d3 wounds.

Nets - Net attacks may be made on the first turn of any combat, and are a special attack resolved before combat begins. On the turn the unit with nets enters combat (regardless of whether they charge or are charged), for each model in base combat with the enemy, roll to hit with the net. Each enemy model successfully hit, will require 6's to hit the Elves in the first turn of combat. In return, any attacks by the Elves against a netted opponent automatically hit. In the following rounds of combat, all attacks are resolved normally (the enemy have either freed themselves or perished).

Not something I particularly like. Especially the abundance of unbreakable core troops...

However it is opponent optional. We have two ways to go. One we can post the list on the web page and make Asur.org happy (even though I doubt anyone uses it), or we can ask for a more 'structured' list.

I leave it to you guys to decide. Whatever you decide, please inform Enthardon and then let me know so I can program the web site.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

No - this is not a well thought out list. It does drop some of the stuff, but keeps the true nastiness and creates gobs of OTT possibilities.

Only DE variant lists will be posted on the website. This is a DE campaign that others can play in ...

J
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Here is the thing. If the HE want to play an optional list with their friends there is nothing we can do about it. However I agree with Jeff in that there should only be DE variant lists on in the campaign.

As a comprimise why don't you just say that they can post this list on their own site, but frankly it is OTT and not balanced or fluffy for this campaign.

What we were looking for is what you stated, and if they want to come back with interesting fluff suggstions for what to take "within" their list parameters, we can link it from their site. Similar to the ToK lists you always see people trying to make here. A themed list within normal selection parameters.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Heres the thing, I was preempted by one of the other administrators who shall remain nameless, but it pissed me off, into making a bit of a relationship with the Asur.org on this one. Also they already scheduled a HE vs DE campaign I guess a year after this one, so we're sorta locked into an agreement. I do see a stronger relationship between DE and HE than the other races so I suppose this isn't entirely bad.

Now actually I think it is a good thing to get as many people on our side for the campaign to work. People have this horrible tendency to sit back and critisize what they do not have a hand in. Since this is the first time this is being done, I figured well best to give in to what the Admin did and let the Asur.org have a bite sized role instead of telling them we're not letting them have any contribution. Their plans on Black Gates and other such things are their plans, if they actually work out is up to you guys and the players in general.

But I did make them a promise of a variant list, similar to the promise I made to the ToKhainers about their own variant list and look how I got into trouble there. Mistakes made in the past will not be made in the future, but it was too late.

Since you guys are both not very happy with this list, which is way OTT as far as I think the entire world would be concerned, how about you guys write to Enthardon a polite note saying that you'd much rather have them write a fluffier "Arnhelm type list" and then I'll post it on the web site in the lists section and leave it be, they can post this crazy list on their site with links from ours. Then no-one really gets angry and we don't have a bunch of people to deal with. Also you'll save me face because I feel bad right now, and also it will keep things from brewing which I can smell brewing right now.

There are no more special lists that I have sent for I promise!
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

OK what I will do then, if no one objects is PM Enthardon and get him to work out a list selection from the actual HE list. A fluffy legal selection for the Colony of Arnhelm.

What I will ask him to do is post it on his own website and from there we will provide a link from our campaign, to his website where he can go into whatever lists he wants etc...

This way we get people visiting Asur.org, and have taken a step back from the HE list development. A fluffy legal choice list is something I can backup, and I think it keeps everyone happy.

Jeff, what do you think? I read your response in the Worker Bees' section and agree with it. But in order to save some face for Langmann would a link to Asur.org be in order as they are supporting the campaign with work here.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Underway wrote:OK what I will do then, if no one objects is PM Enthardon and get him to work out a list selection from the actual HE list. A fluffy legal selection for the Colony of Arnhelm.

I think they wanted to try some special things, I guess I made that promise. But if you steered them in a direction of fluffy things you'd find in Arnhelm and not in the Ultimate HE force ever, that would probably produce a fair list from their part without them feeling robbed. The cat was let out of the bag (not particularly on my part but that is now under control) and I think any less than at least a small list would leave them feeling robbed.

One thing you suggest to them is to use the rules for the Seaguard that originally came with the stuff GW sent to the playtesters and was in the Seaguard list until the last minute:

Seaguard are allowed to (possibly instead of stand and shoot) to add ranks before being charged if they can see their chargers. Possibly 1 or 2 ranks allowed to be added.

Its not to big a special rule and would have been fine in the old SG list but for some reason it got left out.
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

I will work with Tim and come to some mutually agreeable conclusion.

J
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Ok no problems then. Situation resolved.
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

FYI - got the second draft list from Tim today and already provided comments. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

J
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Good I am glad you guys came to a mutually beneficial solution.