Campaign Map

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Black hydra
The Warlord

Campaign Map

Post by Black hydra »

After consulting with langman and doing some research I feel I can make a map to correspond with the areas featured in this war to go along with the campaign program.

The campaign program is due to be release by the end of September and will correspond nicely with the release of this campaign.

Due to the nature of the campaign program, the campaign cannot be played out exactly as it is shown. So I will merely provide an example of the area in which players can participate. They can play full map based campaigns which they can then submit battles for to the druchii.net campaign.

I hope that this will depict just a few armies in the tides that participate in the war.

The campaign will not be linked to the druchii.net one in that winning/losing is. So you could be winning your campaign but your forces could be losing the official campaign.

While you could play specific scenarios, due to the vast control you have over the campaign program, it wouldn't necessarily corespond with the official campaign.

While it may be a bit premature to post this I need to guage public opinion before going further:

If there were a map-based campaign which featured the areas shown would you use it to play with the druchii.net campaign? Should you be able to control mass areas such as Ghrond or Arnhelm, or would those be controlled by your king/prince(s)? How long would you like the campaigns to last? What scale would you like to play?

I need to know whether it is worth it to make this map before continuing.
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

No one?

Well this is a bit discouraging...
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Don't be discouraged, Hydra. I don't think it's a matter of lack of interest. Personally it's just I'm not quite sure what you are offering. Is this sort of a sub-campaign map? Regional instead of all of Naggaroth?
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

I would think that areas like Ghrond and complete Arnheim are too big. From the Scenarios I've seen so far and the background explained, we are talking more of skirmishes and the like. SO in my opinion, the whole campaing map should be maybe one of those areas, and then have diverse subareas. Like, you could fight for the control of Ghrond, and then have several areas within the cities that are controlled by the different factions.

Arnheim and the black spine mountains would be one of the most interesting, as it would b easiest to explain the influx of several of the forces in the area.
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I think probably my biggest problem is that due to some issues very few of you have any idea what the campaign program is. I cannot really explain it because it would most likely not fully describe it anyways.

Looking into the work involved I figure I am looking at only several hours of work to implement it so I can probably go ahead with it anyways.

Basically this will allow you to play a map based campaign that has the same storyline and map as the druchii.net campaign.
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Kencaid
Beastmaster

Post by Kencaid »

all i ask is that it's nothing like SOC
it sucked, horribly
To LazzZZy
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Well that really isn't my doing. If you want the actual campaign to be good then langmann and the rest of the crew are the ones to contact. My part is simply an accompaning map for the campaign program so you can actually play a map of your own corresponding to the areas involved.

I'll get some screenshots set up in the album to give anyone interested an idea of what the program is like.

I will simplify my question to ask you guys:

Would you like to play a map based campaign based on the areas where The War of Flesh and Blood is situated?
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Ah, good. Clarity is finally attained by asking us for a monasyllabic response. :mrgreen:

Yes, Hydra that sounds pretty cool. Please show us the scrreenshots.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Here are some screenie's! These are from V0.92 which I haven't released to the beta team yet so they will be seeing this as new as you guys.

Here is a picture of the windowed map of the official map "Trouble in the Badlands"

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=1583

Here is a picture of me controlling a dwarf player. I managed to destroy most his settlements with the dark elves ;) .

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=1582

Finally here I am controlling the dark elf player.

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=1581

Enjoy!
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I still don't get what it is you want to do here...
The Civil War Campaign (CWC) will be played out all over Naggaroth. For each battle site there will be a reporting system. I don't see where your "Campaign" should fit in.
Your program could be used as a campaign between a few people, just as normal, but on this world-wide plane I don't know how you intended to implement it.

- Nag
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I don't plan for this to work off of the system druchii.net is using for their campaigns.

This would be completely separate, save for the fact that the map is the same area of which this campaign is taking place. I am not planning them to coincide together. From talking to people about Storm of Chaos I heard that many of them did or wanted to partake in campaigns. I figured that should I make a map of Naggaroth and maybe add in some features like selective start locations and new armies such as CoS.

This doesn't intend to replace the current system. It only serves as an outlet for those who had been thinking about playing campaigns could play on this map. Again, this is only a supplement, the battles won't match up with the specific sites because I intend that these campaigns are supposed to be of just a few forces in the many that are fighting here. Players could post their battles from the battles in their campaign to the druchii.net one.

I simply made this post to ask who here is interested in playing a map-based campaign, featuring the area of Naggaroth in the Flesh and Blood campaign. If that wasn't clear then I apologize, I think the only real matter is, is there enough intrest for me to bother making it. I don't see why I couldn't because until there was stalling in production I had planned on modifying a few things to make a SoC map.
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Basically BH here has created a neat campaign tracker for people to take and make their club based campaigns with. What people can do is combine this with the Online campaign if they want and therefore play two campaigns in one.

Not a bad way to recruit players IMHO.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I understand Nagathi's opinion on the matter as the previous maps I have made do not resemble this in any shape or form. I plan to make only minor adjustments by making starting locations be set to specific races and by adding new settlement images.

I may need to modify slightly the start locations of certain armies to space out players more evenly. Other than that most the work is creating new tiles. It will be a fairly large map, I want to try to feature as many locations as possible to add detail. Things such as the Gates or Hotek's Column for example.
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If you do this map, just send the map file and I can add it to the rest of the stuff (since I'm guessing it should work without needeing the whole program).

- Nag
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I wanted to keep this map and the official release separate. While I think this will be a very cool idea due to the constraints applied to it in optimal races and areas it isn't as ambiguous as the other map I have for the official release.

I will modify the final release version of the program so that it will run this map but I wanted to set it up separately from the program. I wanted a zip file just with the new tiles and the .map file. This should only come to about 100kb or so, so it isn't really a download problem for anyone. I just feel that for anyone not participating in this campaign will find it to be an added confusion.

I hope to make more maps for the program and I had hoped that they could be downloaded separately from the original program (assuming a new version isn't required). This would mean you wouldn't have to redownload the entire program if you just wanted a new map and it means that players could choose which maps they would like to try if some of them are more specific to certain areas/races.

I am going to work on adding new tiles and modifying the program so it can run with a modified set of rules/victory conditions.
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Okay, I did the grid for the map (as a sketch) to give me a good plan for making the map.

The map will feature pretty much every area that was named in the map (that is within the maps boundaries). So when playing you will be able to send armies to Hotek's Column, Karond Kar, Vaul's Anvil or The Isle of Great Beasts should you choose to do so. These tiles are mostly for show, however some, (I won't say which ;) ) will give certain bonuses when playing on them.

Naggarond is going to be made out of four separate tiles making this great city appear to be a truly giant one.

The map will allow for all players, however they are catagorized (for start locations) into several catagories.

Temple of Khaine (1)
Chaos (this includes Cult of Slaanesh) (2)
Neutral Dark Elves (2)
High Elves (1)
Lizardmen (1)
Old Worlders: Empire, Dwarves, Dogs of War, Brettonia, Wood Elves (2)
Scourge Races: Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Skaven, Dogs of War and the rest (2)

Each of these groups is given preferable start locations. It is not recommended that you play with more than one player per group, however some of them will support two. (See bracketed number)

The map (however large) is best suited for about 4-5 players. More than that would make some unbalances as the map can create regional difficulties. If more than the given number are selected per group this won't terminate the campaign, however, you may be set up in a location that is odd given the storyline... So if you end up being located near Naggarond as Empire because there was an Empire player, a dwarf player and a Dogs of war player.

There will be a grand total of 63 new tiles made specifically for this map. This including the twenty or so that I have already made for previous maps that will be included means that this new campaign map will have:

9 Possible Start Locations
875 tiles (35x25)
approx. 80 individual tile images
2 new races

So, as you can see I have my work cut out for me! However, I am never one to back away from a challenge so work is commencing.
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I need to have an intro monolouge to the opening campaign sequence. While I could write one myself, I figure if anyone wants to see any of their written work for all to see, and wants to be in the credits they could try too.

Seeing as many of you are far more knowlagable about the campaign than me perhaps one of you could write it?

It would have to be less than one hundred words. It must sum up the involvement of all races (while it doesn't have to go into any detail for the minor participants). While I felt it may be best to write it from the perspective of an outsider writing about the civil war here, anything is welcome.

You can just post them here if you wish. After two weeks if nothing has come in that I feel I can use then I will write one myself, they cannot be later than that.

Of course, this is all voluntary, so only do it if you want.

Well back to work I guess :roll:
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Black Hydra wrote:I need to have an intro monolouge to the opening campaign sequence. While I could write one myself, I figure if anyone wants to see any of their written work for all to see, and wants to be in the credits they could try too.

Seeing as many of you are far more knowlagable about the campaign than me perhaps one of you could write it?
I offer my services. I have a pretty good involment knowledge in both the program and in the Civil War Campaign.

- Nag
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

That would be great.

I would need to add it in before the campaign program is released officially, as currently the program has all data for intro monolouges not the map editor I use. I hope to change this later, but until then...
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Alright I've got in the intro monolough and about 90% of the tiles are done.

I've also finished all of the hardcoding meaning that I can start making it relatively shortly.

I'm still spending time trying to get the program itself released so a map may take a little longer, but it should be coming soon.... :D

I don't think you guys will be disappointed!
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
----