Time to delete Zero-posters?

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Time to delete Zero-posters?

Post by Nagathi »

I just scrolled through the "Memberlist" function on this great site.
I saw that we have 878 Zero-posters right now. Isn´t it time to get rid of some of those?
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

Pherhaps only the oldest, :shock:
i'm what i'm, that's what i'm!
www.utenti.lycos.it/ritornodelre
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

There are a lot of members who come to this site to read only ( for whatever reason ). The site itself automatically deletes the accounts of members who register but who do not visit the site within certain parameters, dictated by Kitrik. Which is why occassionally you see the membership count drop.

At the moment it is steadily rising due to the exposure we are getting through WD :D
Whoulf
Slave (off the Altar)

stupid

Post by Whoulf »

What kind of a stupid idea is that ?

A lot of people, me included.

Just visit this forum to learn tactics and others
things about druchii.

Very rarely I post anything.

Should I be deleted becouse of that ?

Those about 800 account takes almost no room. Since
they don't post much I suppose they don't have any admin rights.

Consider us an audience and leave us alone.
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

I don't see a need to delete those accounts, but do you really need an account just to read?
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I think he was referring more to the 0 posters whoulf and not those who have actually posted. After all, I thought you could still view the forums without needing to log in or even have an account (ie be a guest). I know I've even seen people post as guests before, but seeing as I autolog in, I'm not positive it can still be done.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

You can read the posts here as a guest, no probs.

If you register an account but do not visit the site within 3 months I think, then your account is deleted. Note I said visit not post.

If you register an account and visit the site on a regular basis to read posts but do not post anything then your account will remain active.

IMO there is absolutely no need to take any further action.

whoulf there is no need for you to be concerned.
Istyrean
Slave on the Altar

Post by Istyrean »

I guess that as one of those 0-posts members I should post a small reply.

I am trying to start with Warhammer, and am currently painting my first set of warriors. I registered to this site, because I didn't expect to keep my post count on 1 forever, I am just more interested trying to actually buy/paint my army then contributing my as of yet non-existent knowledge of tactics.

Thusfar this site has been a great help to determine what kind of units I will need, and how I (if I ever finish paining them :oops: ) should use them.
Lord k

Post by Lord k »

think he was referring more to the 0 posters whoulf and not those who have actually posted. After all, I thought you could still view the forums without needing to log in or even have an account (ie be a guest). I know I've even seen people post as guests before, but seeing as I autolog in, I'm not positive it can still be done.

vorchild, it can i spent quite a while just reding through everything before i actually joined.....oh the good old days
Buying Warhammer minis - expensive as hell

Seeing grown men list their win/loss/draw results in their sigs as though it compensates for anything - priceless.

www.pimpcostumes.com for all your clothing needs...
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I dont think that deleting 0-posters is neccesery. After all they could be too shy, too bad in English, simply have nothing interesting in their opinion to say, not play Druchii and are attracted by really high level of forum or from any other reason. I dont want to offend anyone but should we arbitrary punch them out? Are they worse or what? We are some Secret Society? We should be open for all as long as they respects rules here.
It's sure that after 1 year of non posting such account should be deleted but for cleaning only.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Loki_81
Warrior

Post by Loki_81 »

Just recently have I started posting in these boards, although I am old hat at forums. The level of quatlity in this site has dropped recently IMHO since the White Dwarf exposure, and I've been posting to the "redundant" or plane old "cheating" posts to help keep up the high level of information once found here.

I qualify as a reader, I read posts and strategies, I have an account so when the occasion arises that I want to post or ask a question, it's not impossible for me to do so. I came to Druchii.net because it was the best source of information to learn about my DE on the net. Now from time to time i'd have to put in a post for one of my questions that wasn't on any threads. Now if I qualified as a zero poster, but have had a account for a year, and remain active at least once a week, and I had my account deleted, I'd be pretty Pi$$#@ off.

All I have to say is thank god that there's people thinking of these kinds of things and zero posters aren't automatically booted.
Visit Realm of Runes for WFB articles, community, and contests!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

loki_81 wrote:All I have to say is thank god that there's people thinking of these kinds of things and zero posters aren't automatically booted.

after 90 days they are booted.

You didn't need an account to read posts, and when you started posting you are not a zero-poster anymore.

It is those who create an account but does not use them (i.e. zero-posters) which I wanted to hear some suggestions about.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Lord Nagathi wrote:
loki_81 wrote:All I have to say is thank god that there's people thinking of these kinds of things and zero posters aren't automatically booted.

after 90 days they are booted.

Only if they do not log in at all. I repeat they do not have to post to remain active :?

You didn't need an account to read posts, and when you started posting you are not a zero-poster anymore.

It is those who create an account but does not use them (i.e. zero-posters) which I wanted to hear some suggestions about.

Why?? What problem does it cause?? :roll:

Maelis
Highborn

Post by Maelis »

Just recently have I started posting in these boards, although I am old hat at forums. The level of quatlity in this site has dropped recently IMHO since the White Dwarf exposure, and I've been posting to the "redundant" or plane old "cheating" posts to help keep up the high level of information once found here.

That is a sad fact. I dont want to discriminate anybody, as I am glad that new members can use our knowledge and expirience, but we are back to the times where main discussion subject was "Why Malekith is so weak? I want him to be the mightest hero!" and "Is there any better option than Dread Banner for my COKs?".

I wish we could have a book for new members to read with all previous important and less important posts, so the good old subjects doesnt have to be worked all over again.

And about 0-posters: If their accounts take too much disk space (profiles, hisotory, etc) and the serwer needs that place, then ok - do it. But if its not required then please dont do it - it is very discouraging when you are noob and you account gets deleted - I know, I have been through it myself.
"Prick your finger it is done
the moon has now eclypsed the sun
an angel has spread his wings
the time has come for bitter things"
-M.M
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Update!

I went through the memberlist today and went through a total of 40 pages of zero posters. And page 41 had 19 zero posters too.

And there are 50 members a page.

50x40+19=2019 Which means that many zero posters.

Out of the total of 5291 posters there are 2019 inactive at the time

5291 divided by 2019 is 2.62 which means more than one third are zero posters.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Drizzt
Black Guard

Post by Drizzt »

why do you make a big deal of something that isn't a pb???
we need something like when someone new makes an account he should be redirected to the most frequently asked questions thread!!!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Drizzt wrote:why do you make a big deal of something that isn't a pb???
Which is what this discussion has evolved to. The 0-posters aren't a problem. What's wrong with being inactive? I totally agree with you Drizzt.

we need something like when someone new makes an account he should be redirected to the most frequently asked questions thread!!!
It is in the works. A welcoming PM with links to all rules and FAQs to all new members will soon be put into use.

Lord N
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Perhaps I should explain something about the Administration Panel. There is one command labelled "prune users", and this command will remove any user who has not logged in for a certain number of days. The default number is 240 - about nine months. Unless some people stopped coming to the site for maternity leave, I think it's fair to say that these guys won't be coming back.

The nice thing about pruning users is that it gives us a better indication of the number of users who are actually active (even if only to read a bit and not to post much). And, as Lord Nagathi said, you don't need an account to read posts. Remember, you can just post as a guest.
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Sneaky wrote:Remember, you can just post as a guest.
Not everywhere....
It seems to me that the 0-posters have created an account to read posts. The thing is that they could very well read them without an account. They aren't a problem, and I'm pleased with how they are handeled.

Lord N
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

They most certainly can read posts without an account, but in any case I'd expect that they'd post once in a while or something. whoulf, for instance, has 12 posts to his credit. A prune would only delete users that have 0-posters.

That said, there is always the chance that we'll delete people who simply browse without posting. While I'd be surprised if such people were doing this for about nine months, there's no reason to take a chance.

I suppose we can leave them as they are. The ones who don't log in are auto-pruned anyway.
Goodbye.
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

There are also many people who make an account, then the next day they have a better name and then they disregard the old one and make a new..
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Dark 1

Post by Dark 1 »

@Kithan Bloodblade well thats dumb, they should read their profile. AFAIk you can change your name on your account as often as you want, so it isnt nessesary to make a new account! maybe that should be in that PM the mods are going to make?
Kill them with swords, kill them with lances and spears, kill them with the bolts of your crossbows. Kill their warriors, kill their children, thier elderly and thier sick. Kill their hounds, cattle and their livestock. But above all, kill with pleasure.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

dark 1 wrote:@Kithan Bloodblade well thats dumb, they should read their profile. AFAIk you can change your name on your account as often as you want, so it isnt nessesary to make a new account! maybe that should be in that PM the mods are going to make?
It's up to the Admins now...
Sneaky, seen this?

Lord N
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

Lord Nagathi wrote:
Sneaky wrote:Remember, you can just post as a guest.
Not everywhere....
It seems to me that the 0-posters have created an account to read posts. The thing is that they could very well read them without an account. They aren't a problem, and I'm pleased with how they are handeled.

Lord N

But if you have a account the board remembers what post you have read and such. And you can jump to the latest reply if you want to. Much more handy than reading it without being a member.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Well, we prefer that people don't realise off the bat that they can change their names. Otherwise we get more Injektilos. One's plenty.
Goodbye.