Ranks and posts.

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Kithan Bloodblade wrote:Lord N:

What I really consider spam is ESPECIALLY in the rules forums. I see a post that has like 8 replies ALL saying the same answer which is obviously correct. If i see sum1 posting for the fifth time the same answer it pisses me off cause thats actually spam... Rules forums are also spam magnets.

The problem there is that most often does every new reply have something more to add, f.e. a page referance, a quote from GW Message boards or something equal.
Sometimes the original poster don't really believe it until he has gotten some more to say it. That was the start of these multilpe answers where all is backing up the other.
You could send a PM to a black guard who usually moderates the Rules forum to express your thoughts if you wish.

Lord N
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Ok i will post any spam reports or thoughts to the Black Guard then...

But one of my points with this topic was the fact of some peoples interpretations of ranks.. they find it so important that it lowers their post quality. If you had no rank to post for, would you then bother posting small short replies all the time? For instance i find my rank very important.. and i see a post which i can reply on. So just to save time i write only two or three lines, maybe even less. As it cannot be regarded as spam, its contributing to the discussion, its on topic. But its two lines... you repeat this again and again.. and only now and then do you post long replies, you dont WANt to do long replies as you could get 5 more posts in the time it would take for the long one to finish.See what i mean? And this isnt just be blabbering, this is serious i see many users doing exactly this... and their post count is 15-30 a day. Ranks are a reason for people to shorten their posts to the minimal.. which i find sad..

KB
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Curufin
Trainee Warrior

Post by Curufin »

Although I often thought about ranks before, I never had (or have) the urge to spam, or to come with useless replies(look at my posting account. I must be the slowest poster on druchi.net! probably because I'm lazy...not saying that automaticaly means I don't spam). I have however been quite a bit surprised when I see people that have several hundred posts in just a few months. I am not saying they spam, but it makes me wonder how they do it. I mostly try to post when i feel I have something to say that hasn't been said, and I think(and hope) that most others also does that.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

They don't spam (well, not all of them), but some people just have more to say than others. People can fluctuate, too: my posting record averages out to about 1 or 2 posts a day, but that's because I've been here a long time and because there was a period where I didn't post much. Now I post a lot (usually 10-15 a day).
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Kithan, going by your logic, I would post long and really helpful posts. But I don't. Most of my posts never exceeds 5-6 lines. The reason? My poor english skills. I don't know how to extend a post for that many metres of text, I just post what I think in a short and effective post. Would I be spamming to get a higher rank then??

The bottom line is, the mods often do searches and look for the overall posting quality of a member before acusing him/her for spaming. If you post long and helpful posts as often as you can, the risk of being warned for spam is probably declining. However, I'm not saying that posting a few good posts allows you to spam a little. All spaming will be remembered. And all warnings for spams is done after some evaluation of the member in question.
To be honest, there isn't any way we can really say where the line between spam and good posts goes. We evaluates each occurance and take the members history into consideration.

Just as Sneaky said, some people fluctuate.My posting-per-day is around 8 or 9 IIRC, but I still post about 50+ posts a day. I've been on this site for slightly over a year, and it is only resently I've started to be active in almost all forums.

Now I wish tis issue is a little bit clearer. Cheers!

Lord N
Lord k
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord k »

yes nagathi i remember (not too long ago) when you reached 1000 posts and gave yourself the title lord
Buying Warhammer minis - expensive as hell

Seeing grown men list their win/loss/draw results in their sigs as though it compensates for anything - priceless.

www.pimpcostumes.com for all your clothing needs...
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Yes, that was sometime in mid december I think.
Took me 10 months to reach 1000 posts, and 4 more months to reach almost 4000... A good example of peoples fluctuation.

Lord N
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, my view on this subject and to be concise (also a reason of posting in 2/3 lines), is to leave ranks as they are. They are no problem. If a new guy comes here and starts posting like mad to get his post count increasing, believe me, it's possible without spamming. I got my count up to 600 in a few months. From summer till now, it just came up by 300.. I don't care that much about it. To me, to have more than 1000 posts or having 10 is the same really...
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Lord Nagathi wrote:Kithan, going by your logic, I would post long and really helpful posts. But I don't. Most of my posts never exceeds 5-6 lines. The reason? My poor english skills. I don't know how to extend a post for that many metres of text, I just post what I think in a short and effective post. Would I be spamming to get a higher rank then??

The bottom line is, the mods often do searches and look for the overall posting quality of a member before acusing him/her for spaming. If you post long and helpful posts as often as you can, the risk of being warned for spam is probably declining. However, I'm not saying that posting a few good posts allows you to spam a little. All spaming will be remembered. And all warnings for spams is done after some evaluation of the member in question.
To be honest, there isn't any way we can really say where the line between spam and good posts goes. We evaluates each occurance and take the members history into consideration.

Just as Sneaky said, some people fluctuate.My posting-per-day is around 8 or 9 IIRC, but I still post about 50+ posts a day. I've been on this site for slightly over a year, and it is only resently I've started to be active in almost all forums.

Now I wish tis issue is a little bit clearer. Cheers!

Lord N

Yes is seems a bit clearer now thanks...

But its the same situation with me.. cause when i registered 8th october i only did up to about 50 or so posts in two months. Then i was on holiday for a month and a week after the holiday i camw back to the forums. So even tho im only 2 posts a day i still do about 10+ a day.

@Anaryin: I also think ranks are a nice addition to the forums.. nothing negative there. I was just pointing out that they might be a little too important for the beginners.

But again i was not saying its spam... just lowering the post quality....
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Binky
High Chief Lord Mod of Funnyness

Post by Binky »

Post count can be regarded as important by other members, I myself note that sometimes I find myself assessing another users Joining Date and No. of Posts, as an indication of the quality of their posts, which is obviously false, otherwise you'd start thinking that Sureal's posts were of high quality ;) However, since I noticed myself doing it, I have been able to curb this bad attitude...

The strange thing is, I've never been reported for spamming, yet sometimes I look at my posts and think to myself "What was that supposed to actually mean?!" But then, I'm a wierdo... Fortunately I don't have to worry about rank, even if my custom rank is kinda useless these days :roll:

My posts per day fluctuates drastically as well, right now I'm probably doing 15-25 a day, but on average I'm only at 1.05 a day or something
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

sometimes you write the same answer as other people, but that is only to show that you agree with them(and get more posts=rank :P)
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Dark 1
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dark 1 »

LordSaradain wrote:sometimes you write the same answer as other people, but that is only to show that you agree with them(and get more posts=rank :P)

well if you say the same, you dont add anything to the topic, and then its spam... or what?
Kill them with swords, kill them with lances and spears, kill them with the bolts of your crossbows. Kill their warriors, kill their children, thier elderly and thier sick. Kill their hounds, cattle and their livestock. But above all, kill with pleasure.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Dark 1, you are correct. If you agree with someone you should at least state why you agree. Make a statement, investigate further, add a quote which makes the question clearer, do something more then just posting "I totally agree with you Linda"

Lord N
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Injektilo wrote:The strange thing is, I've never been reported for spamming, yet sometimes I look at my posts and think to myself "What was that supposed to actually mean?!" But then, I'm a wierdo... Fortunately I don't have to worry about rank, even if my custom rank is kinda useless these days :roll:

Well, we just got used to you.
Goodbye.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

The strange thing is, I've never been reported for spamming, yet sometimes I look at my posts and think to myself "What was that supposed to actually mean ?!" But then, I'm a wierdo... Fortunately I don't have to worry about rank, even if my custom rank is kinda useless these days
i havent been reported ether even if I did spam a lot in the old days at the humor forum.......
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum