Ranks and posts.

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Ranks and posts.

Post by Kithan^^ »

Ok, today i was browsing the forums, and as i was scrolling down the replies on a topic i see a member who always has had less posts than me, and i remember seeing that poster at around 200 posts. And now the member had 658 posts or something... and i was like WTF!! so i check the profile and it says 25 posts per day or something. Its like this with countless posters out there. I see members who have been here for like a month who have 600 posts. Is it just me or is there something wrong here... i am not accusiong anyone for spam, and i will not mention names either.. But WHAT is actually considered spam? Maybe its just me ovverreacting or something but i find it weird that members within a month have 600 posts. I see more and more posts with only one or two lines everywhere.. i remember when i first registered there were many many more fruitful replies with long and good answers. Now i see replies on level with a regular chat conversation. Just in posts! I hope others see this too... but i dont know if it is really considered a problem. I just find it weird... is it THAT important with rankings? i think it is... most new members struggle to get new ranks... almost as a competition to get new and more "respectable" ranks. Maybe this whole concept with ranks is a downside. I know this pressure myself as when i was fresh i wanted many posts very fast. Now i think no more of it, and post what i feel is necesary. Im not saying i find rankings BAD, but if it causes reasons for members to spam and give short foolish replies i think of it as a problem...

What are you out there's thoughts on this?

P.S Would you BOTHER writing a two-line reply to a post if it didnt benefit you in any way? If you didnt have any reason to write only two lines would you do it? :?
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

I usually write two line replies(this is probebly one)but I dont spam as far as I know I simple keep my posts short and simple. But they usually have something on topic to say.
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Hand of khaine
Cold One Knight

Post by Hand of khaine »

I havent posted on here for a couple of weeks becuase of said problem which is when some newb who signed up in jan and has a higher post count than me starts be sarky becuase they think they have a higher post count than me and think they can do that.Its annoying
The Never Miscasted Man

Get me a hacksaw!!!!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

What is considered spam?
Well, the admins and black guards probably have better answers then me, but I'll give it a go anyway (since none of them has replied yet). Spam is simply a post which is not contributing any valuable information to the discussion in question.

All of the: "Nice picture" or "Good looking model" is spam because they don't contribute to the discussion.
And Kithan, it is very possible to get lots of posts fast even without spam. I myself write almost 50 posts per day. I don't get a high rate of "posts per day" simply because I've been on the site for well over a year. But as long as you stay active in a lot of forums you are very well able to get 500+ posts in a couple of months.

Lord N
Morfeusz
Noble

Post by Morfeusz »

Perhaps they simply participate the "offtopic" discussions in the wargamer's section or discuss some rules which are not clear. I am sure it is the way to raise your rank fast. Providing answers for new members or those not knowing the rules well also helps here a lot.
Dark 1
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dark 1 »

Well i have only been here since january, and my counter is pretty high i quess. Im not thinking very much about the counter. Only when im close on a new rank name :D i remeber some time ago, i was 3 post away, from 600 or something, and i used 30 mins, browsing the forum so i could find 3 post i could make a good reply on.
Well AFAIK i have never been reportered for spamming, but i think we all have made a yes bla bla bla or some other spam once or twice :D But i can see what you mean! A while ago i saw a guy making a army list post, and i dont know why, i just checked his post per day thing. IT WAS 45! AND IT WAS HIS FIRST DAY ON THE SITE!!!I think i made 20 post on a day a long time ago, but 45 thats MANY. and if they were all on your first day, something is normaly wrong. Well i dont think lord n is a spammer, because i know he is doing alot of work on the site, but if you post 45 posts on your first day, you gotta be spamming like hell!!!!

hmmm i think i got a little off-topic..... but i would say yes....... i would make a post on 1-2 lines, if it was enough!
Kill them with swords, kill them with lances and spears, kill them with the bolts of your crossbows. Kill their warriors, kill their children, thier elderly and thier sick. Kill their hounds, cattle and their livestock. But above all, kill with pleasure.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

And while we are on the subject of other people and spam - Don't ever hesitate to press the report-button if you see a spaming post Even if you are unsure if it would classify as spam or not, you should make a moderator to take a look at it. Just to be on the safe side.

Lord N
Morriston burns
Executioner

Post by Morriston burns »

A lot of decent threads have been made very tedious by spamming. I for one can't stand trawling though post after post of lols and smilies. Someone should champion the chatroom I think, maybe that would cut down the amount of tripe being left around the place. Incidently, does anyone use the chat thing on here? I've never been there because I'm such a grumpy sod, but the chat counter always reads 0. Why is that?
I've got fluid on my Shatner's Bassoon.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Morriston, I'm in the chat as often as possible - and usually I'm not alone.
To get back on the topic, as I said: if you see any spam notify a mod about it. We try our best to delete and warn the spammers, but we want help from the community.

Lord N
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Well I've ben here since just before christmas, and I don't often take much notice of my post count (althoughI was surprised when I checked it a few days ago, to see how high it had gone in a little under four months! )

I like to think that most of my posts have something useful to say, and I would hope that people would tell me if this were not actually the case.

Being a member of a druchii.net initiative helps to push up the post count, but not significantly in my case.

I do seem to have a lot to say though :)

But spam is a serious matter. While nobody here is going to object to sensible discussion, especially if it stays on-topic (we have all digressed occasionally and I'll be the first to admit that, but I think that veering slightly off-topic is different to genuine spam)

I suppose part of the problem is the lack of a clear definition of spam - most people would agree that a reply such as "I agree" or "no way" is spam, but beyond this it isn't so easy.

Don't forget that if you need to add a comment to one of your posts you can use the edit button, rather than posting seperately. AFAIK this does not add to your post count.

Most new users seem to feel the need to get off that altar as quickly as possible, and I was no different (though it took me a few days to do it) when I joined, but since then I only post if I have a reason to do so - either to ask a question, or to make a comment on another post (I'm not one for single-line posts, as you are probably aware :) ) or to offer assistance where I can in the painting & modeling forum.

@Morriston Burns: The chat is empty most of the time, as most people check if there is anybody there before they join the chat. The best way to start a chat going is to log into the chatbox and wait for somebody to show up - it won't be too long.

Excessive use of smilies in posts can make them hard to read, but whether or not this is really spam I don't know - I use them often myself (hopefully not excessively though). I have seen a couple of posts with several smileys in a line. That can be a bit annoying at times.

I'm not sure what my highest post count on a single day is, but it's probably under 20 (I just checked my posting average and it is 7.41 per day - I guess that's higher than most users, although I try to ensure that I only post when I have something to say, and I've been here long enough now not to worry about my ranking)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Morriston burns
Executioner

Post by Morriston burns »

@Dark Princess, I must have had a premonition. Just before you posted I went to the chat room and lots of people turned up. Fantastic. You have to be a fair old typist though.

I have nothing against smilies look !eek!

What I think is great about this site is when you find a well reasoned well thought out thread with lots of input from eleoquent people. Those posts are a joy, so I suppose there is an element of rough/smooth acceptance interfacing to be done.
I've got fluid on my Shatner's Bassoon.
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

I don't think that length of a post is an indicator for spam or not spam. Sometimes even one word can answer a question. Even things like "Thank you for your replies" I don't consider spam although they don't contain any real information! Sometimes even post like "Awesome - I really like them" are just what the original poster asked for. Just have a look at the numerous threads "new mini - look". People just want to know what others think about their minis - so such posts are perfectly fine.

What I consider real spam are post like "Hello - anybody here?" or dicussions about personal subjects (like "Good to see you back!" or "Hope to meet you there"). Such things should be put into pm - noone else than the adressed member might be interested in the post's content.

[edit]spelling corrected[/edit]
Last edited by Banshee on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Banshee, most mods (if not all) disagree with you about "Oh, nice conversion"-kind of posts.
And the other examples you showed are surely for PMs. Most of these kinds of posts also leads to warnings.

Lord N
Banshee
Highborn

Post by Banshee »

If you consider post like "I really like them!" spam you often have to deal with the original poster - he wrote "How do you like those minis?" and everybody perfectly stayed on topic.
And I disagree with your opinion about posts like "Thanks to all for your fast response!". It's just polite, an attitude often forgoten by people in newsgroups etc.
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If the original poster asks "How do you like these ... " I at least want replies saying something along these lines: "Well, they are really good. I like what you've done on the ... but the colours could be a little brighter" etc. etc.
I am quite alone on this point among the mods (apparantly)

The "Thanx for your help"-posts has a purpose to the discussion and are not considered spam. Not by me, nor by the other mods (AFAIK)

Lord N
Dark 1

Post by Dark 1 »

well i often say thanks etc. , when someone have answered a question for me......is that spam?
Kill them with swords, kill them with lances and spears, kill them with the bolts of your crossbows. Kill their warriors, kill their children, thier elderly and thier sick. Kill their hounds, cattle and their livestock. But above all, kill with pleasure.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

No

Lord N
Banshee
Highborn

Post by Banshee »

Ok, Lord N, than we go along most of the ways!
Dark 1

Post by Dark 1 »

well im pleased to hear that :D
Dandha
Executioner

Post by Dandha »

Look at my rank :D
-=LDK=-
Liveform Designed to Kill
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Dandha, this is a good example of a post which doesn't contribute anything to the discussion in question.

Lord N
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

lord N wrote:All of the: "Nice picture" or "Good looking model" is spam because they don't contribute to the discussion.
And Kithan, it is very possible to get lots of posts fast even without spam. I myself write almost 50 posts per day. I don't get a high rate of "posts per day" simply because I've been on the site for well over a year. But as long as you stay active in a lot of forums you are very well able to get 500+ posts in a couple of months.

Lord N
yup u are not spaming nagathi but u are very active :shock:

spam for me is a post without anything in it like a classic humor reply from me.......

lol:lol: :lol: :lol:

but i have since been convinced of the error of my ways and try to avoyd it to any extend now.....

also just a short yes or no can be cosidered as spam from my point of wive
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Falahk wrote:also just a short yes or no can be cosidered as spam from my point of wive
If the yes or no answers a question it shouldn't be treated as spam (see my post above for example). However, there may be certain circumstances in which a simple yes or no is totally useless. For example in the rules forum: If a question already has been answered with a quote or maybe a page referance a couple of times (many people saying the same thing in there) then a guy popping in just saying "yes" is useless and isn't contributing anything to the discussion. I'm not a mod in those forums, so I am not very familiar to the usual aproach to the issue.

Lord N
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Lord N:

What I really consider spam is ESPECIALLY in the rules forums. I see a post that has like 8 replies ALL saying the same answer which is obviously correct. If i see sum1 posting for the fifth time the same answer it pisses me off cause thats actually spam... Rules forums are also spam magnets.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

nagathi wrote:If the original poster asks "How do you like these ... " I at least want replies saying something along these lines: "Well, they are really good. I like what you've done on the ... but the colours could be a little brighter" etc. etc.
I am quite alone on this point among the mods (apparantly)
iset this exactly the same as yes and no posts.....
they will be mutch better with an explenation added to the yes and no....somting in the line of "yes, becos of blaha blaha"

so a singel "yes" or "no" is the same as "this model looks great"
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum