Polls, but without sneak-peeks

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Polls, but without sneak-peeks

Post by Nagathi »

I'm not sure the admin control of this board has this option, but I know some other have it (ok, I only know about the invisionfree ones). Anywayz...
In the IF Admin CP there is a little option:
Allow members to view the results of a poll without losing their vote? Yes / No
Here on Drchii that option (if it exists) is checked Yes, but some polls (like the Khaine Awards) could be better off if that is checked as a No. It's only a minor thing, but I see no reason to let people see the results before voting, but I know that it might slightly ruin the poll when people can sympathy vote.

Loremaster Nagathi
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

If it were the same option, it wouldn't work. I mean, one could just vote, then view, and vote again. It would be way better if we could make a poll of which the results can only be seen by certain members. You should be able to script that, I'm sure, just don't ask me how.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Z'Gahn, why would you be able to vote several times just because you are not allowed to view the results before voting?
Right now there is a button right under a poll that you haven't voted in called "View Results". Basically, by doings what I said in my above post the button would disapear, and that's it.

Loremaster Nagathi
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

Allow members to view the results of a poll without losing their vote?

As I understand it, you can view the results. However, if you do view the results you lose your vote. Then they should be able to just vote again. Or do I understand it wrong?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

When you view the results, your chance of ever voting in that poll is lost.

Loremaster Nagathi
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

But it's the same in real life. On elections you can either vote or sleep all day, then turn on TV and make it "view results" =)

There's a reason for this: voters should have an independant opinion.
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

When you view the results, your chance of ever voting in that poll is lost

ooh, k.
Indeed, would be very handy (specially with the Khaine awards). It would also help keep a bit of tension in the election.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Loremaster Nagathi wrote:When you view the results, your chance of ever voting in that poll is lost.

Loremaster Nagathi

That's not the case here right? At least I'm sure its not with me as I keep checking the results of the Khaine awards poll and it makes no difference (ie I can still vote when I want to - haven't yet). I'm not too sure I'd like it to change otherwise since I like to be able to either not have to vote and not lose my vote and still see the results (I'm very curious ;) ).
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Vorch, you're correct, that is not how it is right now. However, your vote will not be impartial, and that's wrong in a voting IMO. As Svart said: "voters should have an independant opinion" They shouldn't do pity votes, or sympathy votes, neither should they save their vote to the very end so that they can be the decisive factor if it turns out to be a tie (which means that Vorchild will vote for one of the two with the same number of votes instead of the one he thinks should win).

Loremaster Nagathi
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Loremaster Nagathi wrote:(which means that Vorchild will vote for one of the two with the same number of votes instead of the one he thinks should win).

Loremaster Nagathi

Hey now, that's only because we don't have a system set up for if a tie should happen and they are all very good people from which I canot single one out to vote for. I'm starting to think better of the idea though since it all boils down to me choosing who gets which prize, so I don't think I'll do it.

As for the impartial vote, I don't see that as being necessary. Those who want to vote impartially don't have to click the preview button. Besides, impartial voting is virtually non existent in the real world. We have a national election here in a country with multiple times zones when one group starts going to the polls, another group will be long finished, and the results will both be televised and posted on the internet (and that action has been held up in court). So, from my point of view, there really is no need to force impartial voting.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

@Lord N - Actually I think that the voting would do the opposite. If you see one idea winning out overall you start to question your original idea, or if you were unsure then that could cause you to pick that option.

For things like the Khaine Awards I think it is imperitive that people don't look at the results before voting. That way there true opinion is expressed.
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

bad idea
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Lord Artein wrote:

bad idea

Elaborate, please! Otherwise, that is considered spam.

BH: I don't really follow you. :?

Loremaster Nagathi