Mozilla Firefox

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Etienne d'arden
Grandmaster of Chateau Montreford

Mozilla Firefox

Post by Etienne d'arden »

Recently a friend of mine suggested me to change the browser from IE to the newest version of Mozilla - Mozilla Firefox. I must say it's better and everything, blocks pop ups, ads and spyawares. But when I browse your portal, I get a weird problem. Note, that when I visit the other sites which also use a phpbb2 portal thing, I dont get the problem.

Anyway, here you have my d.net main page:
Etienne d'Arden
Guardian of Montreford
Devil fish
Slave on the Altar

Post by Devil fish »

I have received the same problem a few times but it is not a big deal actually...
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

Actually Mozilla and Firefox are different things even if they are developed basically by the same people. Mozilla offers email client, IRC client and so on while Firefox is only a browser. Anyway, it doesnt really matter to this. Your problems happens with normal Mozilla also. Just click refresh (F5) and it looks normal again if you need to read the front page...
Sir fragile
Black Guard

Post by Sir fragile »

I have Firefox, and get the same thing.
Remember kids, if it tastes like tuna, that's GOOD DOLPHIN!
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I use Firefox and the same thing happens to me. (only in windows though - the Linux version is better behaved). Try refreshing the page, that usually fixes it. Compared with the crap that is Internet Explorer, this is a very minor problem indeed.

Mildly irritating, but thats all
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Etienne d'arden
Grandmaster of Chateau Montreford

Post by Etienne d'arden »

Yeah, no doubt I can live with that. And I'm glad It's not something more serious :)
Etienne d'Arden
Guardian of Montreford
Oloth
Beastmaster

Post by Oloth »

Just refresh it and it will be ok. Its a minor problem and by now the only one I have also experienced with firefox. no big deal! ;)
"Oloth regar nindolen vel'uss b'luthyrr lil Darthiir"
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Yeah, it's kinda boring but "usually" (not always) the refresh works. By the way, when reading/sending PM's, beware, sometimes the Mozilla browser crashes :) Use IE to do it ;)

Anaryin
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

I use Firefox and don't get that problem. Are you sure you have the latest version? They've fixed up a bunch of those problems.

I much prefer Firefox, but it annoys me that I don't get my PM and Reported Posts popups.
Goodbye.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Dodgy wrote:Actually Mozilla and Firefox are different things even if they are developed basically by the same people. Mozilla offers email client, IRC client and so on while Firefox is only a browser. Anyway, it doesnt really matter to this. Your problems happens with normal Mozilla also. Just click refresh (F5) and it looks normal again if you need to read the front page...

The full name for the Firefox broswer is in fact Mozilla Firefox. He didn't make a mistake.
Goodbye.
Vampire master morph
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Scotland,Aberdeen,Feeding Asur To My Pet Harpies...

Post by Vampire master morph »

I think Mozilla firefox is great!,i downloaded it..its much better than IE...

Morph
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Firefox is the latest in a long line of browsers from Mozilla. They used to go under the Mozilla name, but since they started producing other software, such as the Thunderbird email program, they've used the Firefox name for the flagship browser. You can still get the older Mozilla browsers which work well on older computers. Firefox is functionally equivalent to IE6, and a bit of a resource-hog - although it will run happily on systems that won't even install IE6 (like this one :) )

The Mozilla software is based on Netscape, and anybody who has ever used Netscape (as I did in the days when IE didn't exist and Bill Gates branded the internet as a "passing fad that will never catch on"), will be right at home with Firefox.

It has excellent pop-up blocking - far better than any third-party blocker that I've seen, is resistant to browser hijacking, most spyware won't work with it and it doesn't integrate into the OS, making it inherently far more secure than IE.

Without a doubt the best browser I've ever used (and I've been on the internet for over 12 years now). There's even versions for Linux (so I don't have to get used to using different browsers when I boot-swap the OS) and I believe a mac version too.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Mozilla is originally a Linux browser, darkprincess, that's why there are "versions" for it. It is a fully open source browser, so anyone who can code and wants to fix bugs are free to do so.

By the way, I disagree on the resource hogging point (although I'm on a pretty good machine: Athlon 2500 processor and a ATI Radeon 64 MB graphics card = :mrgreen:), but I disagree mainly because my MSIE has a tendency to freeze up after a few minutes of websurfing (even on Hotmail.com, :?).

Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for Firefox. It is the l33t br0ws3r :mrgreen:!
Goodbye.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Sneaky wrote:Mozilla is originally a Linux browser, darkprincess, that's why there are "versions" for it. It is a fully open source browser, so anyone who can code and wants to fix bugs are free to do so.

By the way, I disagree on the resource hogging point (although I'm on a pretty good machine: Athlon 2500 processor and a ATI Radeon 64 MB graphics card = :mrgreen:), but I disagree mainly because my MSIE has a tendency to freeze up after a few minutes of websurfing (even on Hotmail.com, :?).

Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for Firefox. It is the l33t br0ws3r :mrgreen:!
Well, you can always go to the options and add www.druchii.net to the allowed popup sites ;) However it seems to fail once-in-a-while :?

As for my version, yep, it's the latest. It happened again right now, that thing of PM's.. the thing just crashes... oh well.. but the browser is very good actually :)
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

It's still in its beta versions, I think, so we can only be patient. ;)
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I believe it is v.0.9.1 or similar. As soon as it hits v.1.0 it is technically not in beta anymore (by usual computing terminology).

- Nag
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

I use Firefox as well actually and have been having this problem for some time. I've just learned to live with it as the Home Page is pretty worthless... Once phpBB 2.2 comes out (the group who makes it guarantees a 2004 release...) then I will be programming a new home page so just learn to live with it for a few more months!

Kitrik
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Sneaky wrote:I much prefer Firefox, but it annoys me that I don't get my PM and Reported Posts popups.

Go to the Options-menu and there to the Web Features... there you can add sites that will be allowed to open popups. That's what I've done with a few sites :D

Cheers
Loran
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Loran: Thanks, I did that, works perfectly.

Kitrik: Glad to hear we've got the support for a REAL browser. Every other site I go to seems to use MSIE or Netscape. *shudder*
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Well, I did add druchii.net as a "secure" site for PMs, but it still doesn't work. It's no big deal, I've learned to live with notifications long before I got FireFox anyway.

- Nag
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

I'm just pleased to see that so many of us use Firefox (hope you have their e-mail client. Thunderbird, too).

Sha'a'alaar
Morfeusz
Noble

Post by Morfeusz »

I use Mozilla (not Firefox) and have the same problem, though I believe it didn't happen some time earlier. But I'd like to mention another issue a bit annoying - in IE when you put the mouse pointer over text in recent topics, it stops scrolling. In Mozilla it moves anyway, so you have to be quick to open all you want...
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

morfeusz wrote:I use Mozilla (not Firefox) and have the same problem
What part of Mozilla are you using? Firefox is their browser, and if you got the same problem you must be using the browser.

- Nag
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

@Nagathi

They do a number of software applications. Firefox and Thunderbird are the stand-alone browsers and e-mail clients. BUT they also have Mozilla which is an all-in-one (their description: "Web-browser built for 2004, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple.").

Check out www.mozilla.org for more info.

Sha
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

sha'a'alaar wrote:@Nagathi

They do a number of software applications. Firefox and Thunderbird are the stand-alone browsers and e-mail clients. BUT they also have Mozilla which is an all-in-one (their description: "Web-browser built for 2004, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple.").

Check out www.mozilla.org for more info.

Sha
As far as I can tell, the program "mozilla" is just a package of all their programs (where Firefox would be their browser).

- Nag