"Goodbye" posts

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

"Goodbye" posts

Post by Zentaricai »

is it just me or is anyone else tired of the "leaving for while" or "goodbye for now" crap posts??? Most of them come from the senior posters here and they are getting SOOOOOOO stale. They seem to be some of the longest threads on the damn site--next to "how good is X-Unit..."

If you are leaving, leave in my opinion...If anyone REALLY misses you that much they'll most likely PM you.

And if you are fishing for how valuable you may be to the site--by "Announcing" your departure (which by the way usually last about a week :lol: , then just go... and the amount of response you get via PMing about your whereabouts will give you a true sence of how little or how great your value is here....

Ok, I'm announcing I'm leaving 10:30pm EST

10:31pm EST

After much deliberation an many hours of contemplation I have decided to return. Thanks for all you kind thoughts and well wishing--I now feel so much more significant and take comfort in the fact that Zogart the Terrible and Dragonmaster90210 miss me ....

UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHH!!!!
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I think it's more of a matter of letting people KNOW you're leaving, instead of having an even more useless "Where the hell is <member>?" thread.
- Human
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I would have to agree with Quorl. If for some reason one of the well known people all of a sudden just didnt post for a couple months probably at least a few people would wonder where they went. It just eliminates confusion and useless posts.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

I agree with Zentaricai! The point is, a "Where the hell is <member>?" thread will last as long as it takes to get the question answered, and a lot of people are going to feel really stupid making a post like that.
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

I'm going to invoke the usual rule in these sorts of situations:

If you don't like it, don't read the thread.

The reason that these things exist is not because someone wants sympathy for the fact that they're going to be away for a little while or something. They are there to pre-empt those sorts of topics. PMs don't work because, well, they won't be there to answer them. Plus, it's to notify everyone who's working with them. Most of those people who post such topics are involved in site Initiatives and their absence WILL be noted.

A lot goes on behind the scenes that doesn't necessarily get noticed by the community at large. The Monthly is the most obvious one, but even then there's more people working on it than a mere glance will suggest. Check the credits page sometime. And that's just the Monthly - there are mods, admins, people working on less prestigious (but still important) Initiatives.

The site doesn't begin and end with the forums. We don't ask for thanks or acknowledgement, but a little respect from time to time would be nice.
Goodbye.
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

I would agree with Quorl, but I've gone months without posting, and no one's said a thing *tear. I've never put a goodbye post..

I too think they are a waste of space... kind of useles,, really.
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

Sneaky is absolutely right. A, too, was absent for two months, and I didn't feel like writing 'a farewell message' just because I don't consider myself to be that important. On the other hand, Iaurn or MTUCache, for example, are important members of D.net and such messages are necessary.
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Sneaky wrote:I'm going to invoke the usual rule in these sorts of situations:

If you don't like it, don't read the thread.
Agreed. I can understand people getting mad over 5-6 topics about slave ideas on the very first page of a forum, but these posts are pretty rare. I've only seen about two or three during my time on this site, and one of them was my own.

Sneaky wrote:The reason that these things exist is not because someone wants sympathy for the fact that they're going to be away for a little while or something. They are there to pre-empt those sorts of topics. PMs don't work because, well, they won't be there to answer them. Plus, it's to notify everyone who's working with them. Most of those people who post such topics are involved in site Initiatives and their absence WILL be noted.

A lot goes on behind the scenes that doesn't necessarily get noticed by the community at large. The Monthly is the most obvious one, but even then there's more people working on it than a mere glance will suggest. Check the credits page sometime. And that's just the Monthly - there are mods, admins, people working on less prestigious (but still important) Initiatives.

The site doesn't begin and end with the forums. We don't ask for thanks or acknowledgement, but a little respect from time to time would be nice.
Amen!
My "Farewell" thread was not an act to gather sympathy, I am involved in more parts of this site then most people know even exists. I deal with, work with, talk to and work for close to 400 people on this site.I wanted everyone who I usually work with to know that I would be gone, either for good or just temporarily. I got quite a few "We'll miss you" replies, but I personally locked the thread when I returned so that we wouldn't need to see more of those useless posts (to me they are useless, not contributing in any way).

Nagathi
Loremaster
Alkkrision
Daemon Prince

Post by Alkkrision »

To be quite honest, I see the goodbye posts as an opportunity for the moderators to let us know where they're going. However I do think that if they're going to post goodbye messages, they need to be locked upon posting, just lets us know they've gone and whether the more smiley and happy faces of Druchii.net are making a return.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

and one of them was my own.

Yeah, I suffered through a few of the posts before I couldn't take anymore well wishing and REALITY based conversation....

Hey, I'm glad you worked out your "issues" but you sucked the life out of a lot of posters that could have put their energy into talking about FANTASY and DARK ELVES as opposed to your current mental state...

I feel the goodbyes are self indulgent and and any Psychologist--or for that matter any kid with a Psychology 101 text book would tell you that Good Bye posts are lonely people screaming for attention....from people for the most part, they dont' even know--You know.... you could be being "missed" by an Axe Murdrerer or Child Molester....

Sneaky said "then just don't read them" --that's good advice

and I ussually just ignire them--but it's sooo gut wrenching to see those meaningless posts...

Hey, maybe I'm the cazy one--actually spending two whole posts talking about this- !lol!

I need to go track down soem more Hydra bashers and set them straight!

PS. Sneaky I think you were one of them so I'm commin' to get you!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Zentaricai wrote:
and one of them was my own.

Yeah, I suffered through a few of the posts before I couldn't take anymore well wishing and REALITY based conversation....
This is what scares me these days. You say you hate those kinds of posts, but still you read them? You can't even claim that the title fooled you or something, they were all very obvious. I don't like the logic you're using; it's like if I should start complaining about all the P&M threads, just because I don't enjoy P&M very much. No, instead I avoid the P&M forum and focus my attention elsewhere. Why can't you? No one is forcing you to read posts you hate, and if someone actually is forcing you - hit him/her in the head with your big Draich.

- Nag
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

but still you read them?

I read two of them--BECAUSE you are a respected member here and 95% of the time a good poster...

Then I got nauseous.... and left
;)
Sirius dragonbrood
Corsair

Post by Sirius dragonbrood »

Ok Zentaricai, congrat, you have managed to imitate, but not replicate, one of the posts you hate soooo much.

kind of pointless even starting this particular forum if you ask me

By the way, GIVE ME ATTENTION, GIVE ME ATTENTION, I'M LONELY AND ISOLATED, I NEED COMPANY. mabye i should start a "leaving for a while" or "goodbye for now" post to get more attention

NOT

goodbye for now as i leave for a forum that deserves attetion

by the way I am aware of the irony of leaving a post in a forum that doesn't deserve attention by getting it onto the recent topics list.
Vote 1 Druchii!
Why vote for the lesser evil?
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

It's a good thing you're leaving, I might have had to throw you out for that. There's a fine line between ribbing and flaming, Sirius.
Goodbye.
Dyne
Beastmaster
Location: waiting behind you, about to stab you wit.........wait, ewwww!

Post by Dyne »

i think the posts near the top of the thread are right, in that it just stops more silly posts. be constructive- LOCK the topic afeter the origionasl post- this will mean that they get their poinbt accroiss, and that people dont spam just saying 'bye, etc'
Everyone wrote:You know, High Elfs really suck
Chaos theory
Black Guard

Post by Chaos theory »

i agree Zentarical, mainly on the grounds of hypocrisy.

You mods are annoying when it comes to deleting "non-business" posts (for lack of a better word to describe it...). For example recently i recently posted a hurt and heal game thread on druchii discussion (see which unit lastas longest) but it was promptly deleted within a day. i see "what is your favorite unit" posts all the friggin time (which are really lame) and i post an interesting way of doing it and it gets deleted. wtf is with your hatred of fun? it was even on topic i think.

now...these good bye posts obvously have nothing to do with druchii, warhammer whatever. they are social posts, and social posts are outlawed here.

so how bout you either slacken up for everybody, or live by your own rules?
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Edit: My coment is'nt relevant anymore.
Thanks Auric.
Last edited by Mdk on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Drako the slayer of the w
Slave on the Altar

Re: "Goodbye" posts

Post by Drako the slayer of the w »

Zentaricai wrote:Ok, I'm announcing I'm leaving 10:30pm EST

Sorry to hear that you have decided to take time off from D.net. Your valuable and interesting contributions will be sorely missed by those of us who have been reading your posts with interest.

Hope all goes well for you and see you back here soon.

Drako
Drako the slayer of the w
Slave on the Altar

Re: "Goodbye" posts

Post by Drako the slayer of the w »

Zentaricai wrote:After much deliberation an many hours of contemplation I have decided to return. Thanks for all you kind thoughts and well wishing--I now feel so much more significant and take comfort in the fact that Zogart the Terrible and Dragonmaster90210 miss me ....

Wow, good to see that you are back.

We've really missed you, hope that you have got everything sorted out now!! Keep on posting buddy.

Drako
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Chaos Theory wrote:i agree Zentarical, mainly on the grounds of hypocrisy.

You mods are annoying when it comes to deleting "non-business" posts (for lack of a better word to describe it...). For example recently i recently posted a hurt and heal game thread on druchii discussion (see which unit lastas longest) but it was promptly deleted within a day. i see "what is your favorite unit" posts all the friggin time (which are really lame) and i post an interesting way of doing it and it gets deleted. wtf is with your hatred of fun? it was even on topic i think.

now...these good bye posts obvously have nothing to do with druchii, warhammer whatever. they are social posts, and social posts are outlawed here.

so how bout you either slacken up for everybody, or live by your own rules?
Are you sure that thread got deleted and not moved to the correct forum? If it was deleted a mod should have notified you somehow. We don't hate fun, we hate spam. Spam is often the result of "fun" posts, and thus the humor forum got locked.
Social posts aren't outlawed here. I suggest you read the friggin' RULES! Check the link in my sig for example...

- Nag
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

I wouldn't dare leave an "I'm leaving post".

Since so many people hate me, I can almost feel the cheers...
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

However I do think that if they're going to post goodbye messages, they need to be locked upon posting, just lets us know they've gone and whether the more smiley and happy faces of Druchii.net are making a return.

I think that's the way to go. If the person is in fact leaving the site, then all the posts in that thread are kind of pointless since they won't be reading them. And if it was something involving behind the scenes work as Sneaky suggested, those people would know how to get in touch with the absent member by means other than those provided by D.net such as e-mail or phone.

EDIT: Hey, check it out, 666 posts...creepy, eh?

:lol:
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Fair point Darkadon, but remember there's an emotional factor. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Thanee was leaving. He isn't, but if he was, I'd want to post in the thread to say a formal goodbye of some sort. A mere Private Message might not do it, because I would like the comments to be available to anyone who wants to read them. I don't think I'm alone in such sentiments.

Now it might annoy some people, but I think that for a community it's important to remember that we're human and along the way we might care a bit about one another enough to say goodbye when we part ways. I would oppose this rule if instated, although I would abide by it if the majority voted for it. I want to make sure that's clear.
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Why not class the daunting "Goodbye" replies as spam, and the more serious, constructive (if possible - as per Sneaky's post above) as good posts. Spam gets deleted, while the good posts don't.

- Nag
Chaos theory
Black Guard

Post by Chaos theory »

Honestly i don't think we have a problem with goodbye posts. It's not like we have THAT many of them, and if you don't care about reading them...don't.

I'm was just pissed off about my posts getting deleted all the time...(yes deleted, not moved). I didn't mean to sound harsh, and you have my apologies the mods do a good job here, I just think you may get carried away at times.