threads

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

threads

Post by Mr_piechee »

i notice that theres alot of pages of threads.... alot.... how often are pages deleted, cause how many people are going to look through 20 pages of threads...

so my suggestion is to hav some sort of system where if no-one posts on a thread for a week or somethig it goes to a ready to delete forum and then a week later it gets deleted.... and the person that made it gets a e-mail telling them that its moved..... that way the forums would b more user friendly and less hassel
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Threads do not get deleted on a regular basis. If we did, everyone's post count would drop. No one would have any posts anymore

- Nag
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Also, there are some really good topics "down below". If they are old, it doesn't mean that they are obsolete. All it takes is a little searching...

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

ok... in that case they should go to a data base thing for searching..... and y would ur posts count drop... surly its done when u make the post... if it did it by how many posts are active in the forurms it would take up a hell of a lot of space....
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Threads do not take much space on the server. There is not much problem with that.
Post counts would drop because your posts get deleted.
There is a serach engine. Try using it.
There is several Hall of Fame for good threads, try using them.

- Nag
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

r.. just seen the search engine.... any way y are the threads done with wahts on the forums... it should b done on how many u've made so deleting them makes no difference to the posts u've done.... most sites i know hav it done like that...
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Mr PieChee wrote:r.. just seen the search engine.... any way y are the threads done with wahts on the forums... it should b done on how many u've made so deleting them makes no difference to the posts u've done.... most sites i know hav it done like that...

Could you take that in plain English please? I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying or what you're meaning.

- Nag
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

He said;

-he just discovered the Search engine
-why are the threads not deleted?
-it should be done that when deleting posts, the post count should not be affected, that's done at most sites (too bad he didn't give examples ;))
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Lethalis wrote:-it should be done that when deleting posts, the post count should not be affected, that's done at most sites (too bad he didn't give examples ;))

Deleteing posts always affect post counts... Unless an admin interferes

- Nag
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

no its not.. it depends how its coded... most sites hav it so when the post is create the post count goes up, and then don't bother coding it for when a post is deleted...
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

I believe it's more or less like this in this site:

- User posts a thread - Result: +1 post

- If, for some reason, the thread gets deleted, the server will not "see" it anymore and so, post count drops.
Manwe
Highborn

Post by Manwe »

Piechie, why wank about the system... it has been working well enough since I got here... as long as there is no problem with the server there is no need to change the system... Furthermore we have several people that are always digging up new posts like linda and nagathi... it saves us quite some time having to re-discuss the whole matter...
Pirateering the #1 Dutch national hobby 1600-1700...

--------------
Group 24
Khaleth
WS: 4 S: 4 T: 4 D: 3 I: 3

Equipment: Long Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armour and Wolfskin cloack. 145 Gold.

Skills: -
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

pie

Post by Mr_piechee »

Anaryin wrote:I believe it's more or less like this in this site:

- User posts a thread - Result: +1 post

- If, for some reason, the thread gets deleted, the server will not "see" it anymore and so, post count drops.

y would it check if the post gets deleted... u would hav to tell the server to check it, so if u don't tell it it won't do it...... computers arn't cleaver they can only do what there told.....

and i understand that people what to look at old threads but y can't they b moved to some where else and not crowd up the boards....
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, they are per pages. Also, who decides how long they should stay before being "databased". ;)

Also, the post count is set by the server. He counts the number of posts "in existence" that each user has. So, if you delete one, one less post in the count. If you post, one more. It's not a matter of having a code for adding and one for deleting.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Mr PieChee: This is how the system works. We have now heard that you apparently don't like this way, but this is how it is. We understand your point, but you got to learn to live with this system. Checking the first few pages of a forum takes like 30 seconds. If you're too lazy to do that... Well, we don't force you to.

- Nag
Dark-and-dreary
Warrior

Post by Dark-and-dreary »

yes, searching the first few pages takes only a minute or two but what about to 70+ other pages on some forums? why not move the locked threads to seperate foryms for reasearch purposes?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

locked threads are locked for one of two reasons. Either, they break the forum rules, or they are locked and moved the the Hall of Fame forum.

- Nag
Dark-and-dreary
Warrior

so if the break forum rules why do they stay in the forum?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Either we lock those threads or we delete them. It all depends on what forum rule they break, and what mood the modding mod is right then.

- Nag
Dark-and-dreary
Warrior

but why keep thme in one place when you cant reply to them anyway?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Because we want new members to read and find those lovely topics already. And if you have read them, you'll see that they are done. No more discussion is needed on them. Questions and such can be posted as a seperate topic in the right forum instead.

- Nag
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Also, it's good for them to be locked. That way new members see that somethings CAn'T be done and the consequences of it. We don't delete it because sometimes a mod catches things before the members even notice. he then locks it. If he deleted it, he could be accused of erasing important info or a relevant thread. Imagine the mod is on a bad day and takes something serious. ;)
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

also why delete threads because they are old? if you dont want to read them, then dont. just read say the 10 latest and there you have it. your system and ours at the same time.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i don't want them deleted i just want them moved.... i just don't like having lots of stuff in one place. i think its alot easy to use if its well 'spread' out. having 1000 threads on one board isn't the best, and how many people acculy bother to go past the 3rd page? imo i think the threads that havn't been active for somthign like a week should get moved to anther 'area', so they can still b serched for but so that they don't get in the way of new threads. and the auther of the thread should b givin notice of this..... thats just my opinion
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

MR piechee: why? i understand what you mean but moving a thread to get it away from the regular eye or having it on page 3.. what is the diff? both option keeps the thread intact, and away from the first page where most people look. so what do you gain by using your method compared to the work it takes to implement your method.

we like to keep for instance rules question in one place because it makes looking around for rules questions easier. if your method was in use we now have them in 2 places. which in my oppinion is a less effective method.