Helping Kitrik

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Helping Kitrik

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

You've all probably read the threads about the whole t-shirt issue and I'm sure that like me you don't want Kitrik to end up being out of pocket on this. After all we've got so much here anyway.

So, I started thinking is there anyway we can help out on this? I'm looking for suggestion that will give real help here.

My idea would be the right to buy a title on d.net (you know that grade where is says you are a slave or highborn or whatever?). There are many of you who are posting like mad to get a "better" title, so why can't we buy one from Kitrik. This could be done as a simple payment through PayPal. The title could be as simple as adding "d.net sponsor" to your title or somethingelse.

Come on, time to stop taking and give something back.

Sha'a'alaar
Shamel
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shamel »

I think that a good way to help him with the costs, is, those who get the t-shirt for free, give him a donation. (as much as you want) he's not selling, and you're not buying, so it's not illegal (at least in Spain)

sincerely, I think that we are contributing with the hobby everyday. Those t-shirts are a kind of a way to attract people to warhammer games! and I find disgusting GW forcing you to cease with the selling just because they don't get direct $ from it. That's not a good way to behave with those who play your game and buy your miniatures.

best wishes
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

PErhaps d.net could set up mail accounts, which you can pay for? Who wouln't want a mailaccount like... LordBelial@druchiinet.com?
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

id have no problem paying a donation, MortalKombatOnline do the same thing for $19.99 a year with a unique title and stuff like pics in the signiature
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

Hehe ... funny you should mention that LordBelial because I JUST got that capability for D.net. However, I would limit them to a forwarding-only account so you would still have to have a normal email address.

My only problem with this is that we are already using a LOT of bandwidth from our current *free* host and doing this might be bad for their bandwidth... I will talk to my friend about this and see what he thinks...

For example - I have kitrik@druchii.net forwarding to kitrik@gmail.com. It's nice, but it's not 100% reliable as the server is in and out a lot sometimes with upgrades and overloading (it's pretty basic and just meets our needs - too much more load *could* be bad for it - don't know, I'd have to do some testing...).

For now I'm going to have to hold off on the email accounts, but maybe in the future!

As far as other donations - they would be gladly accepted. I will look into implementing a donation system in March with some major upgrades that I'm planning for the site. Until then I will be ok...

Donations in another form, which relates to the free T-Shirts, would be gladly accepted right NOW though! I will be posting a web page detailing how you can help me out if you are from the United States. For you international people, you'll just have to wait until March to donate...

Thanks guys! I still believe Druchii.net is one of the best communities out there! I am proud to call myself a Druchii!

Kitrik
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

How about a Premium membership for those who want? For like $20 / year the member will get 10 / 20 MB storage space on the server for images, and HTML pages if they want, with easy access. Upload with FTP / SFTP and with the URL of www.druchii.net/username or something for viewing. Maybe even offer that email address with that package. There would be no need for the album then I figure. Anyway, its a suggestion...
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

Dodgy; that would be even more stressfull for the server, I'd imagine. But if people donate enough, we might be able to pay a 'larger' server ;)
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

Yeah I know. Been messing around with a portal system at work lately. The server houses already way too much for its capacity and there is no money in the company for another server at the moment. At peak hours its as sluggish as a heavy duty safe in a pool of jello. So I know what it is like. But still something to keep in mind for the future I guess...
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

I think that this server is fine for what we need.

Having members with memberships or PREMIUM stuff is just not good. A lot of guys around here, like me for example, love the site, would gladly donate a little of our own earnings to help Kitrik but we just can't. I can't because I haven't got a Credit Card.. And my parent's don't let me use theirs..

As for the Email accounts, I guess it would be fine to have them paid like 5€ per account or just 50cents per month. Imagine, 50 cents is a coffe around here. 50 cents per month, if at least 500 of us gave it, we would give out .... 50*500*12= 300 000 cents = 3000€ per year... Now... that's a LOT of money :D Make it ten cents and you still have an earning of... 10*500*12= 600€ a year.. that's what I pay per year to study at the university... :)

It's just that we are SO many that even the slightest contribution from us all... is more than enough :D

I'm seriously against paid memberships (even upgrading memberships) because that would create benefits to those who can pay and to those who can't. The way I said it could be done easily and you would gain a lot more money...

Now... you said something about upgrades ? ;) In March right? ;)
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

Anaryin wrote:It's just that we are SO many that even the slightest contribution from us all... is more than enough :D

I'm seriously against paid memberships (even upgrading memberships) because that would create benefits to those who can pay and to those who can't.

That's the sort of thinking I was looking for. Yes, we could all give a little.

I too wouldn't want a higher membership. I was just thinking of an change to your profile entry.

sha'a'alaar
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

But having levels of paid and unpaid membership will put some people on higher footing than others, which may in turn influence decisions where one or more members come into conflict with one another or the site; in the end, it just be "all about the benjamins". A donation system, as Kitrik mentioned, would likely be something very nice to implement though.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

What did I said? Donation is "secret", wheter you vote or not, only you know.. If everyone gave a small ammount... Kitrik would be rich..
Kitrik

Post by Kitrik »

Click the "Donate" button in the top bar...
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Huum... too bad us Europeans can't participate in that program.

Put up an announcement asking for donations. Say that even 1 € is enough. ;)
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I think Anaryin made a good point - not everybody has a credit card, so they would be unable to donate. Here in the UK, only about 48% of the adult population has a credit card - we don't have the "credit card culture" that the US has, though that is changing gradually. Even I don't have one - never felt the need for it to be honest, and I can't have one now anyway as I'm effectively retired (ie. not working thus not eligible to be a card holder).

I do think a donation system of some kind would help Kitrik though, and for that alone its a good idea, but let's not go down the site-membership route as that will be far too divisive, with the paying members being somewhat elitist towards those who are unable to pay for whatever reason.

In any case, paid-membership of a warhammer site will almost certainly fall foul of GWs legal department...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

darkprincess wrote:In any case, paid-membership of a warhammer site will almost certainly fall foul of GWs legal department...

Portent has been doing that for a while now to keep the site going.

Just a shame that portent feels too "big".

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

I certainly wouldn't like to pay for my account here on druchii.net, even though I have donated 10 bucks (I know it isn't much, but it's all I can get away with when I only get pocket money). I don't think the site should be paid for, but I will help in any campaign donating money to Kitrik, who certainly deserves something for what he does for us (I think that when the work is done nis measured to how much he get's in donations, I bet that there are kids in asia with a higher pay per hour). And especially after that T-Shirt incident. So what I support is willingly given money to Kitrik and none should be forced to pay for this great site.
And at last: If we need bandwith maybe it wil help shaving 50 pages o the DD,DT and DAL forums. I bet that none ever go to the 80th page ;)
Nice armor Tyrion. Did your husband make it for you?
Kitrik

Post by Kitrik »

Thanks guys for the recent donations - they are much appreciated!!!

What I could USE more is for US residents to help me out on that referral program!!!

Just so you know - I will NEVER, again, NEVER be making this a pay-site so don't even bother tossing the idea around... :-)

Kitrik
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I agree that this shouldn't be a paid membership site.
But i'd like very much to help out with donations, and will donate any minute it gain be done by non-US residents.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Kitrik, is there any way to donate that doesn't involve the use of a credit card ? Many of us here don't have one so alternatives might generate some extra funds...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Kitrik

Post by Kitrik »

Look on the donate page!!! it gives you an addess where you can send cash/check/etc...

Kitrik
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Hmm, expect some cash then. By the way, about cash. Do I send "live" cash? Isn't it..dangerous?
Ardone
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ardone »

Not exactly dangerous, but there is always the chance of the dishonest posty.
Best bet if a cheque isn't a possibility is to do your best to hide the fact that there is cash in the envelope.
Bubble wrap your coins, wrap your notes in something or use envelopes that don't go see through in bright light etc.
I wouldn't recommend sending substancial amounts of cash in the post.
Lord of Blood
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Hey, nice to see you around :)

Hm, I'll not send much. Maybe 20/25 Euros. That's a LOT to me actually so I'll send it probably later this year (I'll try to spare 10/15 over the follwing 3 months).

As for the envelope, I'm thinking on sending it on the bubble paper.
Ardone
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ardone »

Well, considering Dark Elves were the army that brought me into Warhammer (models, obviously) all those years ago, I really don't spend enough time on here.

But yes, going for international travel, the jiffy bag is the way to go.
Lord of Blood