Get us the chat back!

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Well, who wants the chat back?

Total votes: 0

Belial
Modest Member

Get us the chat back!

Post by Belial »

...please?
Maybe you could consider changing host?
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

yes, i do want it back. however i think that we would have to change host if we do. i want the chat back but i don't want the site to go down again and become homeless.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Darthie
Beastmaster

Post by Darthie »

Changing from a free host to one that costs some? Only for a chat?
Who would do something like that, while there are millions of chatrooms out there?!
:?:
My Pics...

Druchiiesquemusic...
Mormacili
Beastmaster

Post by Mormacili »

The chat is gone accept it, why not make a "quick comment about everything thread" instead.
And also in my opinion Chartage should be razed

I once lost with a 6000 points cult of pleasure army against a 3000 point army of Sylvania.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

sorry but a poll asking for the chat back wont change the fact that it drains too much of the bandwith.

and are YOU willing to pay the full amount it costs? and do so for all time? otherwise Kitrik is once again risking loosing money.

I know I cant afford any paying to the site on a regular basis. i can berely afford food as it is! i rather have a free druchii.net without a chat then paying for one.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I'm not trying to make you people at druchii.net change your minds, and absolutely not because of a poll. Easy now. I just wanted to find out what people meant about the issue.
Also, this thread is more like... trying to find a solution, so we can have the chat back. No, I wouldn't expose Kitrik to the threat of loosing money, as he allready did with the t-shirts.
But would it not be possible to find another free host where we ARE able to have the chat?
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Well obviously I want my chatroom back, but I know it isn't going to happen. We will just be forced to invade the asur.org chatroom instead. (While our own chat was up, theirs was almost empty most of the time anyway)

Only trouble is that my laptop won't run their chat so I have to stay up late on the main pc rather than chat in comfort :(

Maybe Kitrik should buy me a new laptop ;)

Seriously though, is it just the new enhanced chatroom that caused the bandwidth overload ? If so, I'd be happy to have the old clunky one back - it's still miles better than that awful irc thing over at asur.org.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Shaldekon
Shade

Post by Shaldekon »

About Asur.org chat... Is it really that no one speaks there, because I've been there a couple of times and nothing happened :cry: , or could it be that my computer just doesn't show the messages...?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

shaldekon: no it isnt just your comp. it is really silent. even with 10+ people in there. i often wondered why they even log into the chat if they dont speak to eachother.

silly high elves
Shaldekon
Shade

Post by Shaldekon »

Think now that D.net has been destroyed (:evil:) it will get a lot more noisy! :lol:
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

er...i just notived i posted all my 'chat-solution' ideas in the wrong topic...the 'brief downtime' one...
okay, i´ll just quickly recap it:

first idea: find another host, probably a D-net regular, who has got some bandwidth left anyway ( i know some people who do, but i´m not close enough to them to ask such a favour from them sadly).

second idea: use threads. this sounds silly at first, but i´ll explain:
my gf is in a forum where everyday, the first user to be online creates a new 'daily smalltalk thread'. these threads are kept in a special board, and grow to unbelievable numbers of posts within hours. 1000+ posts are no rarity.
fact is, i watched my gf posting there, and she hits the refresh button around twice or thrice a minute, and the posts come that fast too. it is almost as fast as a chat, especially with the quick reply window in use on D-net.
all the threads are deleted after 7 days, so it doesn´t take up too much space. posts in those threads also do not count towards the users post count, so they do not gain awfully large numbers of posts through this, and loose them after seven days.
the only problem i see is that it might cause as much bandwidth as the chat itself, but i am really no pro on bandwidth, so i can´t really judge that.

now, those were my two cents on solutions for the chat problem.

lets focus this thread on solving this, not on finding out how many people are sad. if half the users were sad about it, Kitrik still couldn´t do anything to change it, so counting doesn´t help.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

Why not just use one of the "normal" chat facilities? All you need to do is agree which one, what to call the group etc and away you go. Just get the location details posted here as a sticky thread.

And if it is the cause of taking d.net down, then I think we are better off without it.

cheers

Sha'a'alaar
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

well, because some people, namely DP in this case, can´t run most chats on their pc - a pc has to really be slow not to be able to run MSN and stuff like that, so....

i mean, yeah, she´s probably the only one who´d have a problem with that. but i go with the message of star trek 3 (or was it 4?) :
it is not right to sacrifice one person for the life of a thousand. it is right to risk the lives of a thousand to save the life of one person.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

"the need of the one, outweigh the need of the many" as Kirk said to spok after they had risked their behinds to save him in Search for spock (star trek 3)
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

I rather have a D.net for free with no chat then a D.net with a chat I have to pay for. It is kitriks decision and I stick by him end of discussion for me.

P.S. poor Lethalis though.
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

I think this poll has no real effect.

As said somewhere else, it is a limited group of this site who's really going to miss it. Although that limited group is probably 30 members, if not more, there are another 7000 who'd hardly care. So I think we can predict the outcome of this poll.

Just wondering, who voted the second option? :P

P.S. poor Lethalis though

Ah heck, I'm having tests, so it would probably just distract me.

:( Thanks for your compassion though.
Enmanuial
Assassin

Post by Enmanuial »

It would be nice to have our own chat
I enjoyed it while it was here
but I do not think it is fair to ask Kitrik to pay a hell of a lot for it, he is already doing a good job on this site

there must be a alternative option, after all we are all creative people here (are we?)
Down with Malekith
Long live the Spirit Lakulei
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

there must be a alternative option, after all we are all creative people here (are we?)

Ever seen MDK's artwork?

So yes, we are creative (a few of us at least ;))
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Alternate option: someone setup a chat service on another server and we can link to it from here - shouldn't use up any bandwidth that way. Or maybe I'm just ignorant of the mechanics of all this and this site has to host the chat... :?
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

I agree with Vorchild! :D Only, I have no idea how to do these things, so I'd be very thankful for any volunteer. It can't be that hard?
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Mormacili
Beastmaster

Post by Mormacili »

It probably is since none are doing it.

Beklager
And also in my opinion Chartage should be razed

I once lost with a 6000 points cult of pleasure army against a 3000 point army of Sylvania.
Lord kherith
Highborn

Post by Lord kherith »

Errr...i chose the second option....
As you can probably tell, i will do anything to get the chat back, there must be someway....
Whatever happens, the memory of those fantastic chats will never leave us...:D
Don't need a gun to blow your mind...

'Whatever gets you thru the night'
John Lennon, 1940-1980
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

You can get free java chat programs to bolt onto your own website (most ISPs give you free webspace but not all let you host chatrooms - pity. Another problem is that most of the free chat code is advertising-sponsored and thus full of spyware, and also there's the question of the content of the advertising banners it displays - since these are sourced from whatever companies pay money to the guys who write the code, the banner content can often be inappropriate for the general age group of the members here)

Interesting idea though. Now if someone had a lightweight java or PHP chat that could be hosted on some homepage, that might be ideal...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Korath
Beastmaster

Post by Korath »

Hell yes we want the chat back!!
its just not the same on this site without being able to talk directly to other druchii.
to pu it short,give us the chat back or else...
we know were u live!!
BEware all innocents!!! the soulraptor has returned! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.....
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

darkprincess - does your laptop not have java installed? is that why the IRC chatroom on asur.org won't load for you?

I really really really want to move our chatroom to IRC. Main reason is that there is bandwidth on our side, it's all the IRC servers. There are a number of free (ad-free too) java chat programs out there that I can install..

dp - since this is somewhat about you at this point, have you tried getting mIRC to run on your laptop? It's a small IRC program that should work on your laptop... I know you HATE IRC, but I suggest you learn to love it. It is the Chat-backbone of the internet and a lot of people love it (I do!)...

My vote is for Java-IRC.
This allows people to get onto chat without coming to D.net (using mIRC or something similar).
It helps us moderate it easier.
It's true real-time.
It doesn't use my bandwidth.
We can share chat channels with other sites.
It's flexible, powerful, and allows us to have a TRIVIABOT!
The list goes on...

What say you?

Kitrik