Slow Decay of Druchii.net

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Are Druchii.net's best days behind it?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:15 pm

Total votes: 0

Dearchon
Highborn

Post by Dearchon »

i agree that things have gotten off to a rocky start since D.net's been down andafter a couple of months i daresay people will randomly chekc the site less often to see if its running, i can say for one that after DA told me it was down i went from checking daily to weekly to forghtnightly etc until i checked and all of a sudden theres been about 2000 osts since i last was online

but do not fear i do believe that it shall not be long before we have more new stuff to talk about and get our sleaves rolled up, be it new ideas from new generals, new models (especially for us, ie new hero/sorceress models and a batallion i do believe are planned) or even models for other armys will generally invoke a disscussion. the new fantasy v6.5 if you will out at the end of next year will certainly bring much to discuss and eventually a new army book, which we mite be called on again to voice our opinions on much like for the revision, who knows?!?!?

and then there will always be one of the new generals popping up and asking various rules questions which we're here to help with, heck i daresay once i've got my army up to the next level and bring in more units i'll be asking for advice

but yeah it may be in a slump now, which as i said i think is still due to the crash, but we will fight back!

xx
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

DEArchon wrote:which we mite be called on again to voice our opinions

"Dear GW, we want people to know what the Gauntlet of Power is..." ;)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Bauglir
Beastmaster

Post by Bauglir »

as many have said before, I also think contribution will pick up again with time after the news has got around to all former regular and casual users. While the site was down, i checked less and less, but now i'm visiting the site almost daily and every time hundreds of posts have been filed during my short absence. so there can be no talk of decay whatsoever. every patient needs a lot of time to get back to normal after a hospital visit, or a near-death experience like druchii.net for that matter. let's be optimistic
Malekith and Morathi meet Jerry Springer: read the complete saga here
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=37639

My Gallery: http://photobucket.com/albums/a18/senna ... warhammer/
Malius
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malius »

i will have to agree about the decline. under this alias ive only been here since january, but i had another before that, and lurked for a while before that. since then, ive always felt that d.net has declined, but the reason i felt that was because many people that I deemed regular posters have moved on and visit far less frequently than they used to, and have been replaced by others who just aint the same :D

i suppose the same goes for me, ive lost interest in GW for a while, havnt bought a WD in months and have been preoccupied with life. i could blame it on the downtime, but i think its more to do with the fact there is nothing new and spangly at the moment to get the urge to play again.

lets just hope things pick up, eh?
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

now thats funny :P
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

I have to agree. With Nagathi gone now its just not the same anymore.
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

face it, for me this place will never be the same since the humor forum was locked

the al forum might have some good posts from time to time and the same go for the tactic forum and lesser races al/tactics forums, so I will keep lurk ther and thats it

apart from that I think asur.org is a far superior site this days, this site have lost mutch of the humorus tutch it had back in the days of the 5ive and many good users have pased into the oblivion(like Iron_Panther, Lord Thalack and injektilo, surel) and a few more aint as active as they used to(silas and sneaky).

now one of the few good things that still is around is the chat and I can enter it from asur.org anyway
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Neanderthal05
Executioner

Post by Neanderthal05 »

apart from that I think asur.org is a far superior site this days, this site have lost mutch of the humorus tutch it had back in the days of the 5ive and many good users have pased into the oblivion(like Iron_Panther, Lord Thalack and injektilo, surel) and a few more aint as active as they used to(silas and sneaky).

who r the 5ive?
Well, at least all of your arm waving and arcane babbling was impressive.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I've been thinking. Most of this "All has been discussed before" problem can easily be solved. Let the newer members discuss what they want, don't lock because it's been up before. That's one way of not letting new threads thrive. If older members don't want to see those topics again, he/she should just remind him/herself that this is how the site looks like. Nothing new will come if we do not allow discussions. Right now, t feels like 75% of all threads gets locked or never posted due to it already existing. maybe the newwer members want to discuss things too?

Just a thought...

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Lord k
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord k »

personaly i think the site is on the verge of death.

despite the site's aparantly huge size (9000 odd members) how mnay regular posters actually are there?

On the only other forum i regularly browse (TWF) there seems to be a MUCH higher percentage of members who contribute.

I think there are quite a number of reasons for the site's decline. Firstly as previously mentioned , it is the sheer size and age of the site. so much has already been covered. I believe another reason for the decline is the recent additions of the lesser races and 40k forums. this has only further diluted any actually interesting topics IMO. Another factor which i believe is contributing is the lack of input from the Admin team. i know they are busy with the general upkeep ofthe site but really there is nowhere near enough input from them to help build a community. It is more like the unknown elite silently controlling the masses.

I also belive that the site has become hideousely elitist. Newer members are given almost no response and while the majority of army lists are given 2 replies if they are lucky, those belonging to Team Shenanigans quickly rack up pages upon pages of useful advice and discussion. This is not an attack as it is not intended, plus i can hone my own information from these topics, it is just that it is repeatedly very frustrating to ask for advice and be over looked.

just my tuppence worth.
Buying Warhammer minis - expensive as hell

Seeing grown men list their win/loss/draw results in their sigs as though it compensates for anything - priceless.

www.pimpcostumes.com for all your clothing needs...
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

I have been thinking long and hard about my response to this thread.

There generally seems to be two thoughts on this - either D.net is circling the drain or that it's just a lull and everything will be back to normal once more Dark Elf oriented stuff hits the shelves. I don't think that either concept is really hitting the mark.

I came to this site at the end of the Storm of Chaos campaign. I had just begun learning Warhammer and I started with Dark Elves. You all know what a demoralizing experience that can be. Then I found Druchii.net (insert sinister laughter). Now I had access to tactical advice, great fluff and the knowledge of people who have played Dark Elves since the day they were introduced. My game very suddenly became a tactical nightmare for my opponents. Where once they ran roughshod over me they now had to consider every move and cover every hole. My enthusiasm for the Druchii became an unwavering love for their sinister beauty. The Flesh and Blood campaign revitalized my enthusiasm for creative writing. I may play another army in the future, but my heart will always be in Naggaroth. The Druchii will always be my babies and it is all thanks to this site.

Now the point of this little love-fest is that I came in AFTER SoC AND the Revision. This means that I have never known those "glory days". But this site was an invaluable resource to me as a newbie. I would have abandoned the Dark Elves (and quite possibly Warhammer as a whole) if I had not been able to be part of this virtual community. I don't think that D.net will ever outlive that capacity. Thus the site may not live up to the expectations of those who are seeking a return to the golden era of the revision. But it isn't about to die as long as people start a new Dark Elf army and have internet access.

On the other hand, there are factors that make this site in dire need of a new direction. The two uber-crashes that have happened since last fall have undeniably left the site lean and crippled. This will likely heal itself. But this doesn’t mean that important factors can be ignored.

Every time that I discuss Druchii.net at a tournament or with a game group, they immediately identify the site with the Monthly. It is both the pinnacle of D.net knowledge and creativity and the primary ambassador and salesman for the site. <dune>The Monthly must flow</dune>. We can't let the Monthly die, even if it becomes a Quarterly. The potential for "Know Thy Enemy" articles alone are almost endless.

Also, it is no secret that many D.net veterans have left the site. This isn't so much a problem as it is recognition that there needs to be a process for passing the torch. People go on with their lives and we all wish them well and thank them for their contributions. But if someone disappears they leave behind a gap in responsibility that has to be filled (or at least patched up with Bondo and painted over). Otherwise, things get left unfinished. If D.net gets a reputation for leaving all its great projects incomplete, then it will undeniably fade and disappear.

I don't want to see that happen. I am definitely willing to pitch in to pick up some of the extra pieces. But I can't do this alone. We need to contact the Initiative leaders and have them designate successors and recruit new blood. We need to re-organize the Monthly team and see what we lack. We need to get the latest monthly (which, as I understand, is all but done) OUT. I am enormously loyal to this site and it is my opinion that we can't wait for a new Dark Elf release to revitalize it.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Lord K wrote:
I also belive that the site has become hideousely elitist. Newer members are given almost no response and while the majority of army lists are given 2 replies if they are lucky, those belonging to Team Shenanigans quickly rack up pages upon pages of useful advice and discussion. This is not an attack as it is not intended, plus i can hone my own information from these topics, it is just that it is repeatedly very frustrating to ask for advice and be over looked.

just my tuppence worth.

Well its not the fault of Team Shenanigans if their threads fill up. Its the fault of everyone else really for not looking at the other army lists. Its not like Team Shenanigans can mind control people into only looking at their battlelists.

The reason people look at the TS lists is mostly because they're lists done by exceptional players!
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Well, I will think about a more considered response for later. But I'd say that, yeah, people leavin' need to give notice, so Kitrik/DA can be contacted, and their responsibilites handed over smoothly.
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

langmann wrote:
Lord K wrote:

just my tuppence worth.

Well its not the fault of Team Shenanigans if their threads fill up. Its the fault of everyone else really for not looking at the other army lists. Its not like Team Shenanigans can mind control people into only looking at their battlelists.

The reason people look at the TS lists is mostly because they're lists done by exceptional players!

I know it's not their fault, however I do get the impression that many of the newer users feel shunned from these posts. If you look at a lot of these posts it appears to be solely veterans discussing the lists while new player steer clear. On several occaision I've seen the veterans explain to the newer players (quite rightly usually) why the advice they have given, while appreciated, is inferior to their own ideas and this can't be good for new players' self esteem.

I'm not saying the vets are at fault for this but I can see why many other people on this site can sense elitism within the site and that new players can be discouraged by this.
Tu'shan
Noble

Post by Tu'shan »

Well, as this is probably my first reply to a post in about 8 months or so now, i feel i should probably chip in. I still browse the forum frequently, but rarely post. The problem i find is that most of the conversations have already happend, once twice, more... How many times do you see a post and find yourself reffering people to another similar point of question raised a few years back.

Untill we have another major rules upheavel, re-make, update or whatever you wish to call it, or another large scale campain to discuss, there will be very little to talk about...

When this does happen, which it will do inevitably, you may find a sudden revival in the forum. People suddenly wanting to know what to do in situatuion X, or how they can best abuse ne item or rule Y. What is the best tactic for the new GW large scale campain, where to attack etc.

Its not that the forum is dead, or necessarily dying, but the world of WH itself has drawn to somewhat of a pause.

Meh, my two cents anyway....
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

Tu'Shan wrote:Untill we have another major rules upheavel, re-make, update or whatever you wish to call it, or another large scale campain to discuss, there will be very little to talk about...

This is exactly why I feel the site is not on its last legs as some claim. When 7th ed rolls around and more specifically 7th ed Dark Elves you will find this forum comes alive as everyone analyses the new book and all the new possiblities it provides.
Dearchon
Highborn

Post by Dearchon »

i think general kala has got the point on the head . . .
+++Oversized Signature Purged+++
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

i agree with Kala here once again he has hit the Nail on the Head.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Dearchon
Highborn

Post by Dearchon »

you know i think that what i meant too, re-reading mine .. . point on the head?!?!?!

--- There's an edit button for a reason! ;) -- Thanee ---
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

Perhaps we need something like Druchii among us on Druchii.net only this time its Slaaneshi among us or something.
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

I am a future member of the US Army. Not saying that makes anyone smarter for me saying it, I do find in my future line of work, you must have a mentor. That is what we lack, because we are growing in membership the older viewers and posters should maybe have a mentor/teacher relationship with newer members.(and the fact the older viewer is feeling alienated from the newer ones)

I believe, now more than ever, it would be a great time to come closer(especially after we wen't down for a bit) as a group. No we may not be progressing forward with ideas, but old ideas would be revisited through the eyes of newer posters, which would expand the understanding of the older poster too. Which is where a mentor could come in and help mold them, open their eyes to new ideas.

In previous years of posting I could read all these posts given by people that would talk to each other a lot about combos, etc. Well why can't we do that over the internet with IM/PM with new peeps? I always got stuff out of them talking on the internet, but I felt almost left out due to me being lower on the totem pole.

Now ya'll are crying, especially the older poster, that we are losing the touch, we're dying. That's only because ya'll ain't coming up with anything new. Think dangit, who decides when an organization dies? It IS THE FREAKIN LEADERS. I dare say stop crying over this and get with changing it so we can have a growing community to come to when we should be studying for a test on monday!!!!

In having this topic, it has shown me how weak some of ya'll really are. Especially since the new revision in wanting to keep this site going. Instead of seeing this crap like this again, I hope ya'll will work to make it better.

Now here is the idea on mentoring. Why can't we have a forum where new members will wait to be "picked up" by an older member? In this way we can truely create a "tree of knowledge," the tree would be created after the "new" user becomes a mentor to another "new user" we would then be having one big organization that sees itself "together" and not apart. It would also initiate ideas up and down the tree as each member would feel like they can get help from any other part and not just from some idiot that decided to join yesterday! It would also allow the older generation of posters(me only remembering the 5ive) to feel needed and would keep them on.

So let's get to it. I ain't the best person at warhammer, but dangit it would help seeing younger kids getting on because of my knowledge and me learning from someone better like langmann or DA.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

dictator wrote:Now ya'll are crying, especially the older poster, that we are losing the touch, we're dying. That's only because ya'll ain't coming up with anything new. Think dangit, who decides when an organization dies? It IS THE FREAKIN LEADERS. I dare say stop crying over this and get with changing it so we can have a growing community to come to when we should be studying for a test on monday!!!!

I would say they (and indeed, I) do a fair bit for the community. Langmann has restarted his Tactic of the Month thread; Nag is, as ever, throwing himself into the monthly; and I'm helping people and groups (Supporting the Tale of X gamers) where possible; and that's just a handful I can drag out.

I would hope the community is not just about what those at the top can bring, but also everyone else with experiences (no matter how strange they might be!).

Perfect? Probably not. But it's a start.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

dictator wrote:Now here is the idea on mentoring. Why can't we have a forum where new members will wait to be "picked up" by an older member? In this way we can truely create a "tree of knowledge," the tree would be created after the "new" user becomes a mentor to another "new user" we would then be having one big organization that sees itself "together" and not apart. It would also initiate ideas up and down the tree as each member would feel like they can get help from any other part and not just from some idiot that decided to join yesterday! It would also allow the older generation of posters(me only remembering the 5ive) to feel needed and would keep them on.

So let's get to it. I ain't the best person at warhammer, but dangit it would help seeing younger kids getting on because of my knowledge and me learning from someone better like langmann or DA.

The trouble with this is that not every user would like to be mentored and guided as soon as they join the site. Many people who visit this site only do so occaisionally to post a list or something and thus mentoring would be quite difficult. Also you can only learn so much from an online community, the best teaching method by far is real hand experience with the game with guidance from veterans as you play them.

As to the older members mentoring, I really would not like to do it and do not believe I am in a position to do it. Although I've been here a long time that doesn't necessarily make me a tactical genius. At the same time if a load of Grand Tournament winners joined tomorrow you would find they would be in a much better position to teach than me. Length of time here does not equate to skill at the game.

I feel that the site has actually set the bar too high with the revision. The revision was an amazing thing to work on and a huge achievement that no other site has done. In my eyes it was definitely the highest point of this site. However it is not going to happen again yet people still expect the site to achieve just as much. The site will pick up again (when 7th ed/the new Dark Elf book comes out) and it is only a matter of waiting for that.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

No.

No, no, no. LOL!

OMG, why does this come up on so many forums this time of year?

Well, my reasoning is the time of year. The summer time is where less people will be on, as people want to be outside rollerblading, vacation, etc.... right now, school is back in, people are going back to work etc.. things will pick up. I assure you, you can find similar topics on almost every forum on the net. This is clearly the largest DE fan site on the web, and it's very well known and reputable.

I don't see Druchii.net leaving any time soon.

Fr0
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

The trouble with this is that not every user would like to be mentored and guided as soon as they join the site

They wouldn't have to they could put their names up on the forum themselves when they wanted it.
Many people who visit this site only do so occaisionally to post a list or something and thus mentoring would be quite difficult

That's why you would have it because then they could start to talk even outside of D.net
As to the older members mentoring, I really would not like to do it and do not believe I am in a position to do it. Although I've been here a long time that doesn't necessarily make me a tactical genius. At the same time if a load of Grand Tournament winners joined tomorrow you would find they would be in a much better position to teach than me. Length of time here does not equate to skill at the game.

I agree completely. It would be there only for those who wished to be guided or helped out a bit. It would be even better if you could get individuals together that were close in distance to each other. That way you could actually meet.

Either way I like what Rork and Fr0 have said: both basically saying people are trying and it ain't dying.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

Neanderthal05 wrote:

who r the 5ive?
look in The Hall of Fame
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum