Searching

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Searching

Post by Mr_piechee »

I don't use the search much, which is a bad thing cause it has so much potential. The problem is if I’m searching for a pacific topic I get loads of results of posts form the same topics on nothing to do with what i want. (That makes little since in my mind so here’s an example. i search for zombie pirates. i want a topic i made just after they came out, but i get over 1000 topics some before the list was invented. i also get every post that mentions zombies and pirates in even if they have nothing to do with the list).

So my suggestion is that we get a 'advance' search. The problem is that its allot of work, but i think it will mean more people would use it and there for less reproduced topics, and hopefully less work for the mods.

So, I’m thinking of an option to only search for the thread, and to add a time span. That way people can find what they want quicker. And possibly a option to search within a thread. cause some get very long (ie the 20+page ones).

i would like to here other peoples views on this and other suggestion to it, but more importantly the mods and coders views on weather its worth it.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

I experienced the search function being stuffed to the top with bugs.
The filtering options (e.g. by subforum) don't work.
This has "simply" to be fixed by "someone" and the search function is back...

So, mysterious "someone": Please fix it!
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Cat-the-Odd wrote:I experienced the search function being stuffed to the top with bugs.
The filtering options (e.g. by subforum) don't work.
This has "simply" to be fixed by "someone" and the search function is back...

So, mysterious "someone": Please fix it!

Its fixed.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

langmann wrote:Its fixed.

Thanks!

I didn't expect langman to be the mysterious "someone" who is called all over the world so often ;) . But who else could it have been...
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Langmann

Re: Searching

Post by Langmann »

Mr_PieChee wrote:I don't use the search much, which is a bad thing cause it has so much potential. The problem is if I’m searching for a pacific topic I get loads of results of posts form the same topics on nothing to do with what i want. (That makes little since in my mind so here’s an example. i search for zombie pirates. i want a topic i made just after they came out, but i get over 1000 topics some before the list was invented. i also get every post that mentions zombies and pirates in even if they have nothing to do with the list).

If you want zombie pirates do a search like this:

zombie AND pirates

That will make sure both words are included in the search. I just fixed the search function which was not working properly before. I believe it is now very functional. I tried running a zombie pirates search and only got 29 hits.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

ok.. didn't relise u could use the AND 'function'. in that case we need an idiots guid to searching... or is there one that i'm too blind to see?

*tries 'zombie AND pirates', works, reads posts, is happy :)*
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

mr_piechee: no you havent missed the idiots guide to searching (good name btw) as we havent written one as far as i know anyway. But if you want feel free to write one up and submitt to one of us mods and we will publish it with credits to you (your name in lights here: .. ... ... " :)
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

perhaps you can look here:

http://www.druchii.net/search.php

it has an advance search, you know :D
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

ilokir, how do u get there? i can't find a link to it anywhere! i've always used the quick search... but linda i will make a guide later, and send it to the relevant person (who is?)
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Mr_PieChee wrote:ilokir, how do u get there? i can't find a link to it anywhere! i've always used the quick search... but linda i will make a guide later, and send it to the relevant person (who is?)

see the bars above that say HOME FORUMS CHAT... select forums and select search.

you can send it to me as i seem to have stuck my head out anyway
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Wow, 573(4) posts and i never noticed that! well the guide is on its way. hope it helps!
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Hi,

I found this thread and was quite happy because I searched and searched the webside for the search-function, I found only the Quick Search - so I did sometimes searches by going through the last 10 or 15 pages in the rules forum (realy) :-)

Perhaps it was something like not seeing the forest because of the trees :-)

Hey this search is quite good and it made my day for today to have found it - realy.
Ok, but I belive there are many others who would search for their answers but are blinded like me - just look at the questions in the rule forum after :
- stupidy and CoK
- Gauntlet of power
- Mangil, Shadowblade etc.
These topics are there every week or two.

What has happend to the guide of Mr_PieChee ?

Also I would have two suggestions to make:
One would be to have a third radiobutton under "Search options --> Search previous:" which states to search only in topics.
Because we have some terms which occur in nearly every post ( e.g. warriors, flee) - if langmann does not like to be the mysterious "someone", I would offer to try it.

The second would be to move the search "button" up to the main menu-bar perhaps next to "donate" or have a link below the quick search (or instead), just to make people to fall over it...
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Idiots guide to searching:

Well for a while now (well ever since I’ve been here), there has been two little boxes up in the right hand corner of druchii.net. What is it I hear u ask; well it’s the search bar, funny eh!
It’s a funny thing really. I never used to use it, cause it was too much hassle and I could never use it well. And well it is, unless you can use it properly! Basically its there to stop repeat posts, and too allow you to find information and help without asking a question or posting a point of view and then have to wait for a week or so while its discussed. Anyway, onto the searching:
When you want to search for an item, you can approach it two ways. You can simple enter the Key Words in the quick search bar (the first of those two boxes) and click search (the second box). Alternatively you can click on the forums tab in the menu section of the site and then the first option in the list is search (Yeh its there, in about a year and 573 posts I’ve never noticed it before, D’oh). Here you get a bit more help wit your search, and more importantly some filtering options for you to marvel over, and use it you feel brave enough.
Either way clicking search will give you all the posts with all mentions of your word or words. This leaves a bit of a problem. If you want to find a thread on zombie pirates then you will get up every post with zombie and every post with pirate in, bummer eh? This can be solved simply by putting the characters AND in between the words that you want; so you end up with zombie AND pirates . The AND ‘function’ is probably the most popular, but you can also use OR and NOT in the same way. NOT allows you to leave out terms from your search and OR allows you to take one or the other. The words AND, OR, NOT have to be in capitals, but you search words don’t.
When you get your search result you will get a lot of posts. If you check the dates of the top and bottom post in you list on the page, you can work out the date range of the page, and then move to other pages. By checking the date ranges you can quickly find which page a post will be on.
If you’re still lost and can’t find the right page, and quick way to get though them is to use some help from your web browser. On your keyboard hold control and press ‘F’. This will bring up find, and allow you to search the page for a word or phrase. So if you were the one that made the post you can type in ‘Your Name’. If you know the exact title to the thread you can type in ‘subject: The Title’. Because in the section on each post it says ‘subject:’ before the title you can use this to refine you search. You can also do it with ‘forum:’ and ‘posted: date’. But in the search from the menu you can select the forum in the search options.
When you find your post/thread that you’re after the words you searched for will be highlighted. If you don’t want this then simple find where it says highlight in the address and highlight from the ‘&’ to the end of the address, i.e.
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... es+zombies
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=36496
If you have selected a post that isn’t the first then there will be a #number at the end of the highlight. This takes you to the specific post, and if you want to stay there then simple leave this bit in.
Finally when you find your long lost thread what ever you do don’t post in it. This brings it back from the dead and is referred to as necromancy. This is a bad thing and will get the thread locked.

Guide written by Mr_PieChee

well there it is, i wrote it ages ago but linda never got back to me after i sent it to her.... not sure what happened....
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Kain, don´t worry. I didn´t find the advanced search function either before it was pointed out to me... :|

And I agree with your suggestions.

An option to search topic titles only would definitely help sifting out all those topics that only have a single mention of what you´re looking for, and it would help people who want to search for the very common terms you mentioned.

And putting the search button directly in the top link row would be helpful as well...
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

huh what eh? could have sworn i put that up there... *hides in shame*
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Perhaps something like the following pic could be added to the guide :
http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3390
Sometimes a picture tells more than a thousand words ...
Happy to found a new home & love after the Old World was f***** up by GW: http://the-ninth-age.com/
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

consider it done
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

A big thank you for all of you who run this marvellous site :P

You are doing a great job and have greated a realm of knowledge second to no other, with alot of nice people around...