Gnoblogs Anyone? -- Well, the Druchii Equivalent

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sirist
Black Guard

Gnoblogs Anyone? -- Well, the Druchii Equivalent

Post by Sirist »

I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely fascinated by the Gnoblogs forum on Ogre Stronghold. I think that it's a great idea, and for an elite army like Dark Elves that are difficult to play, I think it would be a great learning tool to other generals to see what works and what does not over an organized series of battle reports, list revisions, and the like. This would be incredibly useful for people like myself, if for no other reason than to keep all of my conversion posts, battle reports, army fluff and background, list revisions, and pictures in one place, instead of scattered around the forums. While I understand that this would lower the post-count in those respective forums, I think the payoff (a decreased number of repetitive posts, learning tools, a new thing to put into the Hall of Fame, etc.) would be worth it.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Not knowing the ogre forum very well, I´m not quite sure I fully understand what you mean. So could you elaborate a little on what a 'Gnoblog' is, how it works and what it is supposed to do? It will be difficult to comment on the suggestion otherwise.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Mornedhel wrote:Not knowing the ogre forum very well, I´m not quite sure I fully understand what you mean. So could you elaborate a little on what a 'Gnoblog' is, how it works and what it is supposed to do? It will be difficult to comment on the suggestion otherwise.

Aye, link us up so we can have a gander.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Hragged
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Hragged »

Greetings Druchii thinlings!

I am the Overtyrant of the Stronghold. If you wish to know more about the Gnoblogs phenomenon feel free to come visit:

www.ogrestronghold.com

You can read about Gnoblogs either on the main website or on the forum.

Cheers!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Sirist: Blogs are perfectly accepted here. We don't have a forum especially for them, but they fit in just fine. Evolution threads are a more common ting on this site and fulfill a very similar roll, although are more tactically minded and can be found in the AL forum or in the WFD forum. Do you want a new forum just for Blogs?
Pleased to be back
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

I'm not much of a Forum Troll, so I wasn't aware that we had existing arenas that I could put such a thread in to. I haven't seen anything similar to what they're doing here, and as I said, it's probably because I haven't looked very closely.
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

hragged at www.ogrestronghold.com wrote:So just what exactly is a Gnoblog?

Quite simply, a Gnoblog is another word for an army blog or army diary - a topic on the Stronghold forum devoted entirely to the creation and life of your own Ogre Kingdoms army.
Within your Gnoblog, you can post updates of your painting progress, the growth of your army, your work on your army's background, conversions you are working on, the evolution of your army list, reports of games with this army, photos of your army etc. You are basically free to post anything you find relevant to your army, and you may post your updates whenever you desire.
Just to clarify things a bit. ;) Sounds like a nice idea and could indeed be very useful and entertaining. The problem with the standard forum threads is that they usually get "over posted" by other users so one has to really look for the posts of the initial author. Perhaps we needed a forum where people could start a thread and only they can post into their own threads. (Well, mods too, of course ;)) But I don't know if this was possible with the forum engine used here.

Well... is it possible?
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

I don´t really find it too problematic to identify the blogger´s posts in his own blog, as on Dnet the avatars make that easy, imo.

However, if I´m the only one who feels that way, I have another solution. What would make more sense then allowing only the poster to post in his blog would be if the poster edited all updates into his first post and then made a new post saying that there are updates. That way, you will find all the interesting stuff right at the top, and the blog will get bumped up the recent posts page by the 'update!' posts.

Only problem I could see here would be size limit for single posts, but in that case, the blogger can just make a new blog post when the initial one is full and say on what page you can find the new updates (or even link to it if he´s really crafty).

In general, I like the idea of army blogs, and I´d probably start one myself someday. But I don´t think we need any special rules or forum for them. If many army blogs should creep up over the next few weeks, we could consider making a section sepcifically for army blogs and then it would obviously get some rules and a mod (I could do that, I love reading blogs) to make everything run smoothly.

A few blogs shouldn´t be a problem, though I could see it getting annoying for non-blog-readers if the top 10 or 20 threads in WHFB Discussion are blogs.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

It is possible to all people to create threads, while at the same time preventing everyone (including the author) from replying.

This would mean you'd have to edit the original post as the only way to update your progress.

There are some mods for phpBB that allow blogs, but such things would be up to Kala and/or Langmann to install.
Last edited by Rork on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

But that´d mean you´d have to make a new topic if your blog exceeds the size limit. And if I was to start a blog, for example, I might exceed the size limit before even posting a single picture or armylist, as I will most likely include my brainstorming texts (I write a kind of monologue for each army project I start, in which I analyze what I want the army to be like, what questions must be answered to reach that goal, etc. My current beastmen brainstorming has like 3 pages in OpenOffice...).

So I don´t think that would be a veery good solution, unless I remember incorrectly and there isn´t in fact a size limit for posts.

But even then, there would be the problem of all the blogs getting lost because they will never have new posts and thus cannot be bumped up. So if I posted my blog now, nobody would stumble over it anymore come next week.

P.S.: Also, before implementing a blog system, I´d simply make a blog forum. It´s simpler (I think.. I have no idea how that phpBB mod works...) and serves the same purpose. And as I said, I´d happily do the moderating, so we wouldn´t have a problem finding a mod for that if the people really want it.
Hragged
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Hragged »

Hello again, just thought I'd share with you how I deal with other users posting in members' Gnoblogs.

At the Ogre Stronghold I have the Gnoblogs forum section permissions set so that the bloggers all have simple moderator controls over their own Gnoblog.

Basically they are free to either lock their own blog if they want to keep it free from other Stronghold members' comments (so it's a more personal private diary type of thing), or they can leave it open while also having the ability to delete any post made in their own blog. Please note: they can only delete other members' posts within their own Gnoblog, not in any others. They cannot edit members' posts (except for their own), they just have the ability to perform a simple delete.
This allows feedback from forum members should the blogger desire it, while also allowing the blogger to keep their Gnoblog tidy.

Cheers!
Banshee
Highborn

Post by Banshee »

Sounds great! Can we do something alike at D.net with our forum engine? :P
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

That would be an option. On the other hand, I can see people deleting only those comments they don´t like, which could lead to completely hilarious blogs where a guy posts minis painted in a single colour and stories that don´t have a sentence structure, and yet no-one tells him what to improve.

I mean okay, that´s unlikely. But even in less extreme cases, I can see members getting annoyed if some guy they gave some constructive criticism in his blog just deletes their posts.

It could work, but it is rather open to abuse, methinks.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

I bet it would get abused, especially in a community of 10,000+ people, but it may wind up with more success stories to balance things out :?: It works at the Stronghold after all...
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Well, how about this? I'll put myself forward as a trial. I'll put the Gilded Reavers on this website, and remove the stuff I've put on OS. (I still have my DoW over there anyways.) Now I just have to figure out what forum it should go in...
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

If it is an army blog about a fantasy army, then it should go in warhammer fantasy discussion. Unless it´s a druchii army, then it should go in druchii discussion.

If we ever decide to make a blog section, we will just move it there.

Edit: in fact, somehow the idea is growing on me. Maybe having a specific blog section will encourage more people to do a blog of their own? And as I like blogs, I´d like to be able to read more of them.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Well, I've put mine up. Go ahead, Morn. Read. You know you want to. :twisted:
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

I just read where Sirist said that the final chapter of the Sea of Shadows fluff was up. If we get this blog thing going, could we use it for fluff as well as tactical stuff? Personal fluff evolves just as much as tactical ability, plus it'd be a convinient place for us to dump all of our fluff from the campaign.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Fingol Darkwater wrote:I just read where Sirist said that the final chapter of the Sea of Shadows fluff was up.

It's not the final chapter. It's just that the chapter is finally up on the web! No no, the final chapter of the Sea of Shadows fluff is going to be Dizaun getting "her" just desserts... sort of.
Banshee
Highborn

Post by Banshee »

Mornedhel wrote:Only problem I could see here would be size limit for single posts...
That shouldn't be a problem - I just posted (and deleted before any admin saw it :)) a post 42.000 characters long. That should be enough for most bloggs, I'd say. ;)
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Fingol Darkwater wrote:I just read where Sirist said that the final chapter of the Sea of Shadows fluff was up. If we get this blog thing going, could we use it for fluff as well as tactical stuff? Personal fluff evolves just as much as tactical ability, plus it'd be a convinient place for us to dump all of our fluff from the campaign.

Imo, an armyblog usually consists of all three aspects of the hobby: fluff, gaming, and painting & modelling. A blog that is only about gaming isn´t an army blog, but a tactics or gaming blog, and one that is purely about fluff is a fluff blog. Personally, I prefer army blogs - like mine or Sirists - but I don´t think there´s anything to prohibit you from posting fluff blogs.

I would however post those in the relevant section then, ie your own for fluff blogs, P&M for...well, you get the idea.
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

So can anyone start a blog, or is it only a couple test people, because I would really like to do one on my Skaven that I am starting. It sounds really fun.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

moradin: anyone is free to blog if they want to