Thoughts from a newcomer

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dreadrot
Slave (off the Altar)

Thoughts from a newcomer

Post by Dreadrot »

I only recently discovered this website by accident and have been glued to it for a few days straight. I have never played the Warhammer board game and have only been reading Warhammer books for about a year or so, but I love DE's. Im not very knowledgeable about stuff pertaining to Warhammer, but I have picked up quite a few tid-bits of information. There is alot of stuff that I would like to know. This brings me to my suggestion.
It seems like this website is set up to favor people who have been here a long time, which is understandable. But what about the newcomers? I read a bit of the rules and stuff, but it all seems very restricting. One thing that I noticed is that there are certain question, that if asked, warrrant a very harsh response, or no response at all. Your reasoning behind this harshness is that you have answered some questions a million times already and that anyone coming here should either already know this "noob" information, or search for it on the website. I figured that it would be pretty easy. Well, I was wrong. I noticed that on the main page is says how many posts there are on this website. 564858 to be exact, when I checked like 10 minutes ago. Thats quite alot of posts... Anyways, I tried for two days to look for some of this "noob" information that I want to look in to and found absolutely nothing. Lets say for example the questions about whether Khaine and Khorne are different/same dieties. From what Ive picked up from reading books and other websites, it seems that nobody truly knows. The two universal answers are that some believe Khaine is a minor aspect of Khorne, or that they are different dieties. This happened to be one of my "noob" questions since I cant find anything anywhere on either of those Gods. So I searched for the answer here. I tried typing in as many varieties of words I could possibly think of to find out this answer. I still cant find anything other than how people love Khorne armies, or that Khaine is a DE god. And thats going through like 20 topics and all the posts in those topics. Theres still like 100 more topics to look through, and thats only on one search. There has got to be an easier way to find some information. Maybe like making a sticky topic titled "Noobs" or something so us "noobs" can go there and find some old information that may be annoying to you, but is exciting and new for us. That way, the new people that come to your website can find out the stuff they want to without frustrating the members who have been here for awhile and know all of this stuff.
I for one, felt a bit disheartened at the thought that I finally found a cool website that seems to have alot of cool people, cool fluff, and all that stuff, but that I have to search for hours on end just to find one little tiny piece of information.
Only meant for a small paragraph, but it kinda turned into a book... lol ( sorry )

P.S. I also noticed that if you type in multiple words or compound words, it seaches on individual words. Example: Type in Warpsword of Khaine and you get a Black Ark full of topics with Warp, Sword, or Khaine mentioned only once and nothing in those topics has anything even remotely to do with Warpsword of Khaine.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

A 'noob' question is a question answerable by reading the rulebook and/or FAQ, but even if it is noob, you can always try posting and hope for good answer, whether people are annoyed or not.

If you search and there's a thousand results, you can't blame the site for not seeing EXACTLY what you wanted. But welcome to the site, and for the fluff questions, it might just be easier to ask at your local GW store. The staff are always ready to talk about the Warhammer world at mine.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Dreadrot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dreadrot »

I dont have any rulebooks for Warhammer. I dont actually play the game and would only buy the books for the backstory on whichever races book I bought and to find out about some cool magical weapons. But yes, I could always post, but the particular example I used was used because I happened upon someone telling someone else that the Khaine/Khorne question wont be answered and that the person should search for it on the site.
I live in America. California to be exact. We have no GW stores. Atleast where I live. The only place to get miniatures or anything for Warhammer is to either go to the GW website, or go to a local Wizards store. Only problem with that is that the closest Wizards store was about an hour away and it close down about three years ago. The next closest beyond that is like 4 hours away from me.
But thank you for the help. When I think of a question that isnt as noobish as the Khaine/Khorne thing, Ill be sure to post it and hope for the best :D
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I am a friend to all n00bs and their questions. I give a nice answer with a smiley face. Ask and ye shall receive. :)

Oh, and the FAQ is in my signature, you should check it out.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Lets say for example the questions about whether Khaine and Khorne are different/same dieties. From what Ive picked up from reading books and other websites, it seems that nobody truly knows. The two universal answers are that some believe Khaine is a minor aspect of Khorne, or that they are different dieties. This happened to be one of my "noob" questions since I cant find anything anywhere on either of those Gods. So I searched for the answer here. I tried typing in as many varieties of words I could possibly think of to find out this answer.

Scroll through the History forum and check the first three or four pages. There's usually a thread about it on one of those. If not, use the author function of the search. In addition to searching for "khorne khaine", limit it to the HoD or Druchii Discussion forum, and ensure the post author is one of the people who usually give good answers (cuts out the dross). That should narrow the search parameters significantly.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Dreadrot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dreadrot »

Ah, okay. Thank you all very much. That should help out alot. Ill be sure to check out the FAQ and start narrowing my searches to specific places.

EDIT: Wow, I sincerely apologize, when I first happened upon this website it was storming outside and I was having some serious lag issues. I did not even see the FAQ questions/answers part on that link the first time I went there. That is very helpful also. Some of the abbreviations I saw were easy to figure out, but there were quite a few that I couldnt make out. That is going to make thing alot easier. Again, thank you for the replies!
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

From your first post it seems like you haven't been using the search function properly. I think you searched for "Khaine Khorne" and recieved every post with the word "Khaine" and every post with the word "Khorne".

If you had typed in "Khaine and Khorne" you would have only recieved posts that included both the word "Khaine" and the word "Khorne".
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Dreadrot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dreadrot »

Actually, that is what I did. Ill have to try it with the "and" in there and see how much better the search is :lol: :oops:
Thanks for clarifying that!
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

See the druchii discussions forum, and read the announcements. They will clear up a lot of things about the site.
Dreadrot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dreadrot »

Okay, thanks. I saved that part in my internet favorites. Some of the abbreviations are still a bit hazy for me. I look at the FAQ and think, "Ah, thats what it was!" and then see the same thing 5 minutes later and cant remember what it was again :shock: :lol: