Suggestion on front page

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Change newest post display?

Total votes: 0

Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Suggestion on front page

Post by Dggrj »

I can't take it anymore. The scrolling marquee drives me nuts, its way too slow and occupies too small of a space. Honestly, who still uses a low enough resolution that we need to have such a tiny box for that? When I want to see new posts I want to glance at it and quickly open in tabs all that are really new to me, rather than wait and mentally encourage it to speed up.

Anyway, my fully explained proposed changes are (vote for favorite):
Expand box they go in vertically to the point that most reasonable titles will fit without scrolling, but leave scrolling in place just in case.
Make box autosize itself to fit them all, maybe enforce short-ish post titles to prevent abuse.
Put the marquee aspect in a simple .js file so that people can adblock it if they choose (requires expanding box also).
Make it a profile setting (the most work) whether it autosizes or scrolls.
Leave it alone, I think you're crazy, dggrj!
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I know nothing of .js files or anything but making the thing a little bigger and speeding it up could be nice. Although I always just the click the "There aer X posts since your last visit" button and be done with it
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Xzanth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Xzanth »

How about keeping it the same size but having up and down buttons on it? So you can scroll through if you want to?
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

How about keeping it the same size but having up and down buttons on it? So you can scroll through if you want to?

I second this suggestion. If it can be done IO think it would be a great idea to implement.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Ant wrote:

I second this suggestion. If it can be done IO think it would be a great idea to implement.

³

Would be of great help.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Just a quick bump to this, because I meant to comment a few days ago. Good idea on the arrows and I'm sorry I didn't think of it to put in the poll. Putting a scrollbar would be a piece of cake - change like 1 line of html. Making it automatically scroll as well as have controls would be something more, but I'm not sure what. I'll find out. Is this something that we'd be allowed to at least test out if I post the necessary change (in the forum of course)?
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

We will be upgrading this site to PhpBB 3.0 next spring/summer (see my post in the announcements as to how to get involved with that).

If you are interested in doing this kind of thing and have programming experience with php then by all means sign up and help out with the programming!
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

one thing is: you can speed the scrolling up if you´re using sea monkey (just push them up with the cursor). but the quick funktion of quoting text you highlighted doesn´t work with sea monkey.
i´d rather have it so that one can look at all the current topics at once but i don´t mind the way it is now.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.